2006 4runner Sport w/ pic's of my 1st mod's

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys!

Hey Toyotech - I talked to a couple of shops and searched the message boards, the result of my research was that the comparable ARB 4th gen 4runner bumper was about 150 lbs (Shrockworks is 146 lbs, I think). I couldn't find any weights posted online by ARB.

So compared to the ~70 lbs of the Aluminess, that is ~100% heavier. In my opinion, that is crazy amount of savings. What are you driving, I didn't realize ARB made bumpers that light? I understand that ARB bumpers (or steel) are generally considered to be stronger than aluminum, I chose Aluminess because the weight savings was significant to me and I believe it is strong enough. It is VERY nicely made.

ARB makes an all Aluminum Bumper now at only 75lbs.:ylsmoke:

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah generally the worst part winch bumper wise, is once you chuck the boat anchor of a winch in them. Synthetic winch line helps reduce the weight a little. I like the idea of keeping it light though as a bonus its also rust free.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Hey Toyotech - I talked to a couple of shops and searched the message boards, the result of my research was that the comparable ARB 4th gen 4runner bumper was about 150 lbs (Shrockworks is 146 lbs, I think). I couldn't find any weights posted online by ARB.

So compared to the ~70 lbs of the Aluminess, that is ~100% heavier. In my opinion, that is crazy amount of savings. What are you driving, I didn't realize ARB made bumpers that light? I understand that ARB bumpers (or steel) are generally considered to be stronger than aluminum, I chose Aluminess because the weight savings was significant to me and I believe it is strong enough. It is VERY nicely made.

that is nuts if the 4th gen ARB bumpers are 150lbs. i really doubt it but without ever weighing or pick one up, i cant say. if it is true than the Aluminum was the better options. stronger or not. I would have gone Aluminum too if 150lbs is true. i just dont like the way they look. without seeing it in person it looks like they made it bigger, maybe due to thickness used..

i have a 88 4runner with a ARB, i can pick it up myself. I only weigh around 125lbs so im not a big guy at all. another member on yotatech just weighted one on a bathroom scale and came in at 85lbs. it was used on 89-97 hilux/runner.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I wonder once you remove the stock bumper how much more additional weight is installed? Especially in the skids case replacing iron with aluminum. Excellent build! love the thorough reviews.

I finally weighed the plastic bumper skin and crossmember that is taken off during the install, it weight ~30lbs. So, all in all, the aluminess bumper is +40-45lbs over the stock "bumper" it replaces. I then added 50-55lbs for the m8000-s, so I up 90-100lbs over the stock weight on the bumper winch mod. :elkgrin: It is light enough to quite easily remove by yourself. I will also add, that my Icon coilovers with stock coils (I think 650lb) did not take any additonal pre-loading and I haven't any notice in their performance past instal

I will take some real pictures soon.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I love how versatile the storage deck is proving to be.

Here is a pick of how well a size large 29er fits.

2013-05-05-48 - iPhone.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Good job Toyota:

Capture_zpsf50c9421.jpg

4runner30.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven