2006 4runner Sport w/ pic's of my 1st mod's

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I tested the strength of the slide out tables with a 5 gallon bucket out towards the end and it was no problem. They are much stronger than I thought. Look at the flex, pretty minimal.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303591725.633060.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303591725.633060.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 72
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303591741.984247.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303591741.984247.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 77
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303591755.702710.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303591755.702710.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 84

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
IBS Dual Battery Kit, ARB Compressor, Moody trays

With the help of some friends got a few new additions to the 4runner this year. An IBS dual battery kit was added to control two new Sears DieHard batteries. I bought the battery tray from Moody, it is a fantastic item that I highly recommend. Moody also offered a PERFECT mount for an ARB compressor which I'm very happy with. I highly recommend Moody's trays and he was great to order from.

4runner20.jpg

4runner19.jpg

4runner18.jpg

4runner21.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
ARB Fridge and simple mount

I made this fridge tray out of scrap plywood for my recent trip out to Overland Expo and it worked out great! I highly recommend this location, especially if you are traveling alone. Reasons being: easy, allows you sleep in back, easy access b/c it has its own door, gives you whole rear for storage.

(1) Add two Land Rover tie downs from Expedition Exchange to rear driver side seat rails on

4runner26.jpg

(2) Cut 3/4" scrap plywood, add piece to make level, no need to bolt it down

4runner27.jpg

(3) Tie down with one strap up front and one in back

4runner29.jpg

with the rear seat bottoms taken out you have room for a hilift and a shovel, I strapped them too the seat bolts for a secure no rattle location.

4runner28.jpg

I'm certain toyota designed this location for this fridge (or maybe vice versa?)

4runner17.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Rear Storage update

some space to work with:

4runner30.jpg

With two of my Storm cases inside the truck, there is perfect spot for one to sleep. I just leave the other two outside.
4runner31.jpg

All four Storm cases fit nicely in the back, they are easy to tie down organized like this, you perfectly see out of the rear window and in the middle there is lots of room for a water can and soft goods.
4runner32.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
75,000 Update and new BFG ATs

Well, really I have about 73,000 miles and over 6 years in the 4runner and I'm still really happy with it.

Highlights in no order:
-No issues, no reason to return to the dealer since purchase
-20 MPG on highway (~70mph, 91 octane with current tires and setup)
-Icon Suspension is awesome, highly recommend
-Still on original brakes front and rear
-no rattles
-BFG ATs (should have bought these earlier)

4runner25.jpg

4runner23.jpg

4runner24.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

-Still on original brakes front and rear

Your 4Runner looks great Ryan, nice mods and update!

I quoted your 'brakes' statement above...very timely when I publish my next blog post tomorrow ;)

James

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I quoted your 'brakes' statement above...very timely when I publish my next blog post tomorrow ;)

James

Cool post James! Very interesting , additionally, I try not to "follow-to-close" because I hate it so much when people do it to me. I'm looking forward to Part 2.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
very nice build so far. the 4runner is way better than the FJ. maybe the fridge was made around the 4runner lol

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
85,000 Mile update + Aluminess Bumper + ASFIR skids + Warn M8000-s

7 year - 85,000 miles - no issues to report. I replaced the front brake pads even though the original set still had plenty of meat on the bone. Truck is running great!

Since I hit my first dinger in little league, Aluminum has always been my favorite metal.

New Aluminess Aluminum 4th Gen Bumper

Kenny and folks over at Aluminess designed a new 4th Gen 4runner bumper and I was lucky enough to receive the first one! I've wanted an aluminess bumper for a while, it was great working with the Aluminess dudes and they delivered on their word. I will do a detailed post later but some standout facts (1) insanely top notch finish and fit perfect, (2) cutouts for Rigid LEDs, (3) elegant winch access, (4) it looks fantastic and has consistent clearances on all the edges AND (5) (wait for it....) on my bathroom scale it weighed only ~75 lbs with about a mile of syran wrap, styro foam and all the hardware necessary to bolt it on. I should have weighed it naked without all the packaging, but I would guess ~70 lbs - better than I expected!

The winch I chose was a Warn M8000-s

New ASFIR Aluminum Skids

I also had the pleasure of installing some ASFIR skids plates. Although I didn't weigh them, I was impressed with the precision of the build and their gerth for how light they are.

I really love my 4runner and didn't want to saddle it with too much weight.

Here is sort of sneak peak with a couple of iphone pics - but I will take some better photos soon - I also want to weigh this baby now that my wish list is basically fulfilled.

Anybody have any guesses on total weight?

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
sweet armor. i guess you cant really save crazy amounts with aluminum. my arb bumper is only 85lbs

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Only 75 pounds is great.

Good choice of winch, the M8000 remains an excellent value.

Silver dude

Xplorer
I wonder once you remove the stock bumper how much more additional weight is installed? Especially in the skids case replacing iron with aluminum. Excellent build! love the thorough reviews.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys!

sweet armor. i guess you cant really save crazy amounts with aluminum. my arb bumper is only 85lbs

Hey Toyotech - I talked to a couple of shops and searched the message boards, the result of my research was that the comparable ARB 4th gen 4runner bumper was about 150 lbs (Shrockworks is 146 lbs, I think). I couldn't find any weights posted online by ARB.

So compared to the ~70 lbs of the Aluminess, that is ~100% heavier. In my opinion, that is crazy amount of savings. What are you driving, I didn't realize ARB made bumpers that light? I understand that ARB bumpers (or steel) are generally considered to be stronger than aluminum, I chose Aluminess because the weight savings was significant to me and I believe it is strong enough. It is VERY nicely made.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I wonder once you remove the stock bumper how much more additional weight is installed? Especially in the skids case replacing iron with aluminum. Excellent build! love the thorough reviews.

Thanks! I have the bits I took off, they didn't weight much but I will weigh them. I would guess about 20 lbs. I will weigh them and post up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven