2006 Range Rover vs Discovery 3 (edit - looking at a 2006 rr hse tomorrow)

antiacus

Observer
Going back & forth between a UZJ100, LR3, and occasionally tempted by the odd well sorted 80 series and came across this Range Rover to confuse me even worse.

Just wondering, i know these series of RR are far better than their predecessors but is cost of ownership usually quite a bit higher vs an LR3?

I was thinking of heading over to Bend and test driving the silver 07 LR3 and the 06 RR these guys have for sale:

http://www.outlandmotors.com/inventory?d=ASC&sort=make

Any advice? Considering i'm a backpacker, hunter, and will occasionally plow through an old cat road scraping sticks down the side of my rig i'm having trouble imagining the RR but i think i'm selling it short. That rig is pretty for sure, but it was meant for me, not Suzie Soccer mom! :)

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Your description of your intended use is exactly what the Range Rover was designed for. Of course you may have to upgrade to a nice H&H shotgun and proper English hunting attire to match but the capability and design is all there.

Actual cost of ownership between the two will be essentially identical.

antiacus

Observer
Your description of your intended use is exactly what the Range Rover was designed for. Of course you may have to upgrade to a nice H&H shotgun and proper English hunting attire to match but the capability and design is all there.

Actual cost of ownership between the two will be essentially identical.

Looking at roverparts.com i was surprised how many parts are identical. I think with a brush guard (xenon light assembly $$$), winch, and some tires it would be good to go. It would also help to explain some of the scratches i would inevitably end up with :) Dang, thought it had the choice down to 2 vehicles...

*edit* not a bird hunter, but my deer rifle is a nice model 1899 Savage chambered in .300 savage (with period accutrements of course!)

Last edited:

Howski

The LR3 has a larger aftermarket but it sounds like that may not be an issue for you with the modifications you've noted. I believe the later (05'(?)+) RR's are preferred over the 03-05 models. Whichever you choose, a lighter color will be best for hiding the scratches you plan on putting on it

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Correct me If I'm wrong, but by 2006 the BMW motor and tranny had been replaced with the same Jaguar based units as the LR3 and RRS.

I agree, other than cosmetics and tech gadgets, the cost of ownership should be close to a wash.

antiacus

Observer
Looking at a 2006 hse rr tomorrow.

Wish i had a LR person to come with me. I kind of have a handle on things to ask about with the lr3 since i've been doing quite a bit of research on them. Does the RR have the same soft bushings? I read the main issues on the RR is a problem radiator and air suspension compressor.

I briefly spoke to a guy at the dealership over the phone. He said the vehicle in question is the owners and that he has all the maintenance records and had some things replaced in the last couple years.

Anything to ask about, or look for? Any test drive tips?

Thanks! Really excited to go drive this thing (another good reason to have an objective party along ;))

16cdc448e9654c8b971ac94e11074e03.jpg

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Looking at a 2006 hse rr tomorrow.

Wish i had a LR person to come with me.

Where did you get the photo you posted? The vehicle on their website shows the factory side vent and 19" wheels and I would assume the factory grill. Your posted photo shows a supercharged model grill and side vents as well as 20" wheels.

Also, you say it's the "owners car". Well, then why does their listing say "*PLEASE NOTE: We have many hi-resolution photos coming soon! These photos were taken when we purchased the vehcile to let our customers know this car is on the way. Please be patient while we give the car a comprehensive service inspection and reconditioning. " ??

Sounds fishy to me. I would only buy that vehicle after thorough mechanical inspection by a rover tech who is not friends with that dealer. There are a number of things which, if not taken care of very recently, are just prime ready to be your costs even just from a service point of view. My lr3 recently required a new air compressor. For many things there will be no way to evaluate their condition without having the vehicle for a while which is why I would be suspicious of the conflicting photos and information.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Also, one way to verify the stated "lux package" option is to see if the front seats have an articulated upper half back rest. This was only on the supercharged model or HSE with lux pkg. It was dropped from the vehicle altogether after 2006.

Scott Brady

Founder
Buy the Range Rover.

I have an LR4 and a MKIII Range Rover, and for your intended use, the Range Rover is magic. Ours has been trouble free for years, until just over a month ago, when we replaced an airbag. However, this is not to say the cost of ownership is low. A major service will cost you $1,200. . . but overall, the reliability is light years ahead of the RRC and P38.

MKIII_LR4_.jpg

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Yes, be careful with the owners vehicle. I was going to buy a 2007 LR3 last week that seemed to have good service records and was the owners personal vehicle. When inspected, it had major issues and appeared to have been in one or two accidents that didn't show up in the carfax. If you own a dealership, you can fix things that will never show in a carfax. Always have a qualified LR person check any one you are interested in.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Range Rovers do not have the same bushing issues. Not to say they will never need to be replaced, but its not as common as on the LR3.
The only thing I would be concerned about is the front air springs cracking. If you look into the front wheelwells over the tires, you will see the bottom rolled edge of the front strut air springs. Some light cracking and wear here is normal with mileage, but any major dry rot and cracks will mean new struts in the near future at about $800 each.

The air suspension compressors in the Range Rover are also much sturdier than in the LR3. They do sometimes have issues but usually from the small brass filter on the compressor head becoming clogged and overworking the compressor. Easy and cheap (a few dollars) to replace as maintenance.

antiacus

Observer
Thanks guys. I should have clarified the pic I posted is of a vehicle I found here in Eugene yesterday. Strange that it doesn't have the hse grille. I'll ask about that. Best I can do is have it inspected by my regular mechanic. No dedicated lr shops in town.

antiacus

Observer
Had to pass. It was a bit rough and had no records. They had just had the computer replaced after losing connectivity and also had work done because the air suspension wouldn't lower or raise. They are asking 15900 at 137k. Bit much on both counts.

Hopefully better luck on the one in bend. ( The original link)

Eniam17

Adventurer
Take your time and don't rush. There are plenty of good Rovers out there with service records and previous owners who took care of them. Being patient until you find one will be well worth it in the end. Good luck

antiacus

Observer
So why don't more people outfit the range rover for overland/ expedition travel? I see lots of discovery/lr3 rigs but rarely a range rover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad