2007 GL320 CDI question

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Best I've done SF -LA was 33mpg in the cvt 2.5L Outback in stupid slow holiday traffic. The Longtrail would probably be ideal. BFG and Michelin I think come out of the same plant both have been really good to us regarding quality, holding up well etc. Wifes new ride would be interesting 2016 Fusion plugin 65-85mpg is the typical average. Too bad the trunk is full of battery.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Delivery tomorrow afternoon. Too bad it's going to dump rain, but I'll get it off-road soon!

otiswesty

Regular guy
No, the 2008 still has the spare and no adblue tank. The 2009 Bluetec lost the spare for that tank. I think it's a donut spare, so we'll see what I decide to do, but in the past 10 years of offroading, I've only gotten 1 punctured tire offroad.

The 2009 model replaced the spare with the adblue tank. There is no donut, NO SPARE TIRE.
Instead there are run flats in all 4 tires. This usually comes as an expensive surprise to the owner when they go to get new tires.
The 2007 cdi is a way better choice than the 2009 for this reason.

If you run low tire pressures off road, the side walls will heat up and degrade, so that punctures may not end up being your biggest problem.

sonk_76

A GL is not a G-Wagen, not even close.

I often hear things statements, and certainly agree that the two are completely different. That said, in practical terms--stock for stock, or mild-mod for similar mild-mod--what exactly are the enormous differences between the two in everyday life and/or actual off-roading (leaving apart all the discussion around how the G-class is "built to a different standard", or "over engineered", etc., but focusing on actual capability)?

I'd love to see an actual video of equal drivers taking the same exact trails/lines with the two vehicles to truly see where the differences manifest themselves (I've never seen such.)

I suspect that the keyboard off-roading may overstate the differences in capability between the G and GL platforms (not arguing they are the same[I agree the G with it's triple lockers will do better in most situations] just that the difference may not be as big as we like to think in practice, especially for overlanding type travel vs. rock-crawling.)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I did a Tahoe off road trip with the Gwagen guys I was in my 07 Sequoia. So the GL lacks the two speed transfer case. Also its longer and longer wheel base like the Sequoia. The Gwagen is more compared to the 4dr jeep in size big difference on the trail, and getting over and around stuff without dragging body parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal