2008 F450, motor swap, multi purpose truck.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Just want to say AWESOME build, and solid fabrication skills (that I wish to have...)! Didn't even realize you were local till I saw the bent up license plate.

Out of curiosity, what fans are you running and how's the cooling performance?

I ask because I'm also cooling a heavy duty motor (6V71) with an F350 radiator, but a smaller 7.3 version (790 sq in). To make matters worse, it's side mounted on a rear engine coach. I'm running 2 sets of Nissan Altima fans; works good, but climbing the Coq in the summer I need water misters.

So if you have better fan choices I'm always willing to experiment. Ideally I want four brushless Spal fans, but $1200 is too much!

coastal616

Adventurer
Well, currently I have no fans. Yesterday is the first time it went over 190, we were climbing up out of a long steep trail in first gear for maybe 20-30 minutes and it got to 220.

My radiator is 999sqin surface area, it's quite large. I will be putting fans on just for the coq soon enough. Look up Volvo / Taurus fans. The Volvo units come with relays and wiring and a neater package. But they flow around 3900 cfm on high if I remember correctly. And they are cheap.
Edit... A good sealing custom shroud will make all the difference to a fan doing its job or not too.

;)

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
WA good sealing custom shroud will make all the difference to a fan doing its job or not too.

;)

This is important... make sure the fans are actually pulling the air across the radiator, not just pulling air. Also you could look into a bigger/all aluminum one from someone like Alradco. http://www.alradco.com/ps/

FYI Coastal, I'm digging around with my sled pulling buddies on a locker for you... If I hear anything I'll let you know.

coastal616

Adventurer
This is important... make sure the fans are actually pulling the air across the radiator, not just pulling air. Also you could look into a bigger/all aluminum one from someone like Alradco. http://www.alradco.com/ps/

FYI Coastal, I'm digging around with my sled pulling buddies on a locker for you... If I hear anything I'll let you know.

Why thank you! Those sled pulling guys are a wealth of knowledge about dt360's too...if you can get any of them to talk. lol

RoyJ

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe time to save up for an all aluminum...

Yes, I realized the importance of shrouding and sealing from day one. Since it's an OEM fan, it's shrouded efficiently to begin with. In addition, every inch of seam is taped up with heavy foil tape; there's absolutely zero leakage. I think my biggest drawback is lack of natural draft due to the side mounted rad.

The challenge for my setup is the shape of the 7.3 PSD rad - it's square. I looked into the Taurus / MK VIII fans, but with them I can only fit 1 fan. They flow very well, but still cannot out-flow 4 smaller fans!

Wish my bus had the space for a 6.7 PSD radiator, I believe they're 1000+ sq in. Just look at it compared to a Subaru radiator: :drool:

2cyrv5k.jpg

The shape would also allow for 2 Taurus fans.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
RoyJ - any pictures/build thread? So we can see what your working with and to not divert to much from Coastal's.

One other thing that some run.. not really up to speed on it... Evans pressure less coolant??? Doesn't it have a higher heat capacity?

RoyJ

Adventurer
Unfortunately no build thread, as it's strictly an on-road bus conversion and not "expedition" worthy. But I'll see if I can upload some photos in the future.

I did look into Evans, but research shows they're not ideal for older diesels due to several factors:

- much higher operating temp (2 stroke Detroits like <200 deg)
- 35% lower specific heat capacity than water
- 3 to 4 times viscosity of water

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

Since heat rejection is a function of coolant mass flow multiplied by heat capacity, the last two factors tells us the water pump will be working MUCH harder than usual. Therefore, I decide to go with 70% water 30% coolant for the best cooling performance (no super low temp in Vancouver).

But enough hijacking - congrats to Costal's cooling performance. If he can drive around with no fan right now, I'm sure a Taurus fan will be plenty. As a bonus, the DT360 runs much lower boost (till he tunes it, lol) than the 6.4 PSD, so the heat rejection from the intercooler will be lower as well.

coastal616

Adventurer
Well, I am currently building this:

and modifying this rack:

to fit this:

Once complete the whole thing will come off like this, leaving me with a clean flatbed:

So I can do this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven