2008 Liberty vs Wrangler Sahara

CRD4Liberty

I don't know, I like the Unlimited Wrangler, the only problem is you can't tow any real weight with it. The rear axle on the Liberty is as strong as the Rubicon rear axle, but the Lib pulls 5,000 lbs.
I have the CRD which is flat awesome and pulls a load like a freight train, getting great mpg while it does it.
4 and 6 inch lift kits are in the works for the Liberty, but they than become specialized like the Wranglers. A couple different bumpers are out or soon will be, including swing outs like the Wrangler rear bumpers for the spare and water/fuel.
Outdoorsman have toys, you'd think the Unlimited Wrangler would be set up to pull some of those toys. The Wrangler is just to specialized.

Scott Brady

Founder
I really liked the new KK, and it was more than adequate on the trail. I am just a functionalist, so I compromise comfort for performance, highway for trail, style for boxiness, fashion for froggy tones.

Chip, I think your assessment is right on!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
haven said:
The Wrangler's 3.8L engine is a design that was first produced in 1991, and is used primarily in (gasp!) minivans.

Even worse, that motor was used in front wheel drive sedans. Sorry if I keep "harping" on this, but why build an awesome vehicle then stick a turd under the hood?

So I fail to understand why they didn't use the 3.7 but I suspect they lacked production capacity to build enough to cover the Wrangler line.

The good news is the next generation "Phoenix" V6 will replace all these motors sometime after 2010 and it should be very nice. Unfortunetly, not before the next generation Wrangler.

Of course I'll eat my words if they put a diesel or the 4.7V8 in the Wrangler soon.

RedDog

Explorer
As long as Wranglers have a removable top, they will always be the prefered vehicle of the Jeep

Bingo. Any close call is going to be trumped every time for me by the ability to put the top down. In fact, when I bought by TJ 20 months ago, the whole deal hinged on the dual top package. No dual tops, no sale.

For me, ANY other vehicle, as capable as it may be, can never be better than second place with a fixed roof.

Last edited:

805gregg

Adventurer
I just got back from 2 weeks in Baja in my "light duty KJ", I drove the crap out of it about, 2-300 miles off road or bad road 2500 miles altogether. The KJ was just about the perfect Baja car and there are literally hundreds in Baja Sur. It's the suv of choice for the rental companys and local citizens. If the local Mexicans buy them for daily drivers in Baja with all those bad roads they must know something. As for engine choice mine is diesel, $2 a gallon in Baja.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

In a way it's too bad Jeep couldn't offer the 4.7 V8 like out of my 99' Grand and put that into the 4 door wrangler, that would make quite an interesting combination even if mileage wasn't the greatest. It would make it come alive for sure. Or just go all the way and offer the small Hemi as an option on the rubicon, great balls of fire!!!

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Liberty vs Wrangler

This story sounds like an editor in an office assessment of these vehicles abilities and options. It is apparent to me (my humble opinion) that the author should spent more time driving either of these vehicles then writing about them. The difference in the abilities of these vehicles CAN be the same on a mantained dirt road. ANYTHING more severe or challenging then this, the Liberty is simply outclassed. The suspension flex of the Liberty is much different then the Wrangler.....a great deal less! Your comparing apples to oranges here.

Scott Brady

Founder
RunninRubicon said:
This story sounds like an editor in an office assessment of these vehicles abilities and options. It is apparent to me (my humble opinion) that the author should spent more time driving either of these vehicles then writing about them.

This was Chip's statement from the first post:
Haven said:
There's no doubt that the Wrangler Rubicon, with lower gears, stronger axles and taller tires, is a better choice for gnarly off-road use than the Liberty. But I think the Liberty is better than any Wrangler for general use that includes daily driver chores as well as weekend off-road use. The Liberty is capable enough for most off-road journeys, and the independent suspension is a lot more comfortable in everyday use.

Overall, I think his statement is correct. For my purposes, I would only consider the 4-door Rubicon. Better durability, better resale and better trail performance have my vote.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Or the 5.7 Hemi with multi-displacement... ;)

I'd "settle" for the new version of the 4.7L "semi-hemi":

305HP @ 5650 rpm
335 ft-lb @ 3950 rpm

peak torque is about 500 rpm lower than the "Hemi" motor

gas mileage improved over previous engine
noise and vibration reduced over previous engine
other improvements such as 2 plugs per cylinder for lower emmissions

Either way I might consider buying a Wrangler with either motor... It would be hard to pass up.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
As I said, your comparing Apples to Oranges. Liberty is a uni-body station-wagon. Aerodynamic and light-weight.The only thing it shares with the Wrangler is that it has a transfer-case(and isome choose-four doors). This vehicle is meant to satisfy the person who OCCASIONALLY drives off-pavement dirt roads and inclimate weather. Like its competetors-Subaru, Volvo and etc these autos do what they CAN do very well. Don't expect this class of vehicle to compare to another.
The Wrangler is a flat windshield lead sled-body on frame tank, built for off-roading and traversing stuff most everyother vehicle either self-distructs on or simply can't traverse. It's not ever going to be getting admirable mileage with it's coefficent of air resisitance. But this CLASS of vehicle (D80, D90 included) can take you places routinely that only the others can dream about.
For instance, If my daily driving meant I had to traverse 30 inches of water and crawl over a log or rock everyday, of course I'd drive a Wrangler (or D80, or 90). Since it doesn't nor does most...could I drive a Liberty and would it do a great job, of course. Most all of us upon reflection would acknowledge this. However, we have a choice (yea America) and we choose to drive a vehicle that has the ability to take it's driver to the end of most any road and then some. That is why, there's really no debate about what class of automobile might be more efficent to drive and nearly as effective, the Liberty (or it's like) would certainly win. But consider if you will, for a moment that one of the largest after-market supported vehicles on the planet is our beloved Wrangler. Not because we don't like or even love the Liberty (or others in it's class). But because we LOVE our Wranglers. Many to most Wrangler owners modify their rigs to do MORE then stock with suspension lifts, tires and .... you name it, so we can go even further then the end of the beaten track.
I'm sure it has something to do with the adventure spirit, and that the Liberty and any in it's class in my mind, do not invoke. Be it a pioneer spirit or just wanting to be different then the other guy, it may not be sensable financially, as most modified Wrangler owner will attest, but they are unique and not the plain vanilla wrapper of the class of vehicle as the Liberty. This too adds to the Wranglers resale as much as any other factor.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The Liberty is an SUV. It is a UTILITY vehicle. Is it perfect? Not hardly, but it is an SUV and deserves to be compared to other SUV's, not Volvo's and Subarus. This is not a cross-over vehicle, or a car, it is an SUV. Truck engine, 2 spd transfercase, solid rear axle, 5000 lb tow rating.

Clearly the Liberty is not a Wrangler. Yes, the Wrangler can tackle off road obsticles the Liberty will only dream about. Yes, the Wrangler is an image vehicle and screams "pioneer spirit" at the top of it's lungs.

Frankly, I don't see owning a Wrangler as being different than the other guy. I must have seen 3 dozen lifted Wranglers yesterday. I saw one modified Liberty. I see owning a Liberty, and wheeling it, as being different.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
calamaridog said:
The Liberty is an SUV. It is a UTILITY vehicle. Is it perfect? Not hardly, but it is an SUV and deserves to be compared to other SUV's, not Volvo's and Subarus. This is not a cross-over vehicle, or a car, it is an SUV. Truck engine, 2 spd transfercase, solid rear axle, 5000 lb tow rating.

Clearly the Liberty is not a Wrangler. Yes, the Wrangler can tackle off road obsticles the Liberty will only dream about. Yes, the Wrangler is an image vehicle and screams "pioneer spirit" at the top of it's lungs.

Frankly, I don't see owning a Wrangler as being different than the other guy. I must have seen 3 dozen lifted Wranglers yesterday. I saw one modified Liberty. I see owning a Liberty, and wheeling it, as being different.

You are right. It is an SUV. It's not a Subaru and nor a Volvo. Though many SUVs have a 2-speed transfer case and can tow 5000lbs.

Your right about a lifted Liberty...they are rare. Driven a Wrangler has just made me tainted I suppose, forgive me for havin an slanted opinion about an American icon.

dynamike

Observer
RunninRubicon said:
Your right about a lifted Liberty...they are rare.
on the contrer....Lifted/modded Libertys are not all that rare.....
check out http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/
along with many other Liberty owners forums out there,
heck I have even been on the Rubicon with some modded Libertys,
And I have to say.....the facial expressions of other wheelers we met were unforgettable!!!!!! They couldnt beleive what they were seeing.....
Libertys are not just mall cruisers.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk