2008 Nissan Pathfinder R51? or Armada?

telemike

SE Expedition Society
How is the 2008 vintage R51 Pathfinder? Been thinking of getting something more civil and a good light tow vehicle. Maybe even the 5.6 V8 version if I could find one. I would at sometime do a 2" lift and some 32-33" tires. How is the traction control? With 2nd and 3rd row folded flat looks like plenty of room for camping gear.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I don't have much any personal experience with them

I do know that they share a frame with the Frontier/Xterra/Titan.

They do have, however, fully independent suspension which could be a plus or minus depending on use.

Looks like the tow rating is somewhere around 6500 #

stioc

Expedition Leader
Overall quite nice and like most Nissans under appreciated which is good for us who are looking for a used one. <removed>

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Overall quite nice and like most Nissans under appreciated which is good for us who are looking for a used one. If you're considering a V8 they actually came with the solid rear axle.

Learn something every day !

stioc

Expedition Leader
Just to verify I searched but couldn't find anything that would confirm to me the V8s came with the Titan's solid axle...so I take it back. No idea why I always thought that.

telemike

SE Expedition Society
I think they have the Armada front diff with V8. I only see 2008 models with V8 for sale around here.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

NmexMAX

These (V8 Pathfinders) share identical drivetrains with the Armada, which share the same front axle as the Titan, but the rear is different than the Titan solid axle. It's an R230 (IRS), vs an M226 that's in the Titan. Only gears available are 2.94's in the V8 Pathfinder unlike the Big Tow package for the Armada/Titan which is 3.36. And since it has 5 forward speeds, it's &#8220;similar to&#8221; a 4spd with 4.10's (according to Nissan) with the 3.36's. But the rear end (R230) is a beefy R&P, larger than the Titans. Armada/QX56 diffs bolt straight onto the Pathy with the 3.36 FD. ALL QX56's are 3.36. The V6 drivetrain for R51's is different in the V6, smaller. (R200/R180A IIRC). The numerical value stands for the ring gear diameter in mm.

Towing capacity with the V8 is 7000, V6 is 6000 IIRC. Air bags would be smart if towing and also rear stiffer springs. I can attest to the 3.36's feeling like 4.10's since the first few gears are low(in the tranny) because I've got 325 65 18's, some armor, sliders, a bumper and winch and it takes off like a jack rabbit.

33's can be fit with very minor trimming with a 2-2.5&#8221; lift, trimming similar to what Frontier owners do, as well as the camber adjustment.

I love mine, that 5.6L with a magnaflow and straight b-pipes gets people attention when emitting from a little Pathfinder, and the V8 on the side also gets attention.

Last edited:

telemike

SE Expedition Society
Thanks. I notice Armada prices are very affordable in my area. Just keeping options open if I need a higher tow rating than my H3. Pathfinder V8 or Jeep Commander fit the replacement role. I like the Land Rover LR3 but it has high maintenance costs and reliability issues

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

telemike

SE Expedition Society
Traction control seems to work ok when you have 2 wheels off the ground, not as good as lockers but better than open diffs. Saw an Armada next to my H3 and it doesn't look that much bigger. Just about a foot longer I think. Small lift and 33's would rock.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looks like a fairly capable rig right out of the box. Limited wheel travel but that is to be expected. Having had a Ridgeline before I can tell you the traction from independent suspension is actually quite good as long as the articulation is not too crazy in which case you neesd lockers or other traction aids.

What lift options are available for it?

telemike

SE Expedition Society
ARMADA: There are 2" spacer lifts out there. Stock tires are 265/70R18 (32.6" x 10.5"). I would go 275/70R18 (33.3" x 11")

pathfinder has 2" spacer lifts too

stioc

Expedition Leader
Sounds totally reasonable for an expedition truck. The Armada definitely has the extra room for not a whole lot more money (?) but I would think the Pathfinder might have more support from the aftermarket (ARB, Kaymar, suspension etc).

1501_3.jpg

Here's another thread on the Pathfinder: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52732-R51-Pathfinders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3