2010 Dodge Cummins 3/4 Ton Crew Cab

sapper

Adventurer
I did get the lights wired in last night and had a chance to align them. I had forgotten how bright the lightforce lights are. It also pointed out how crappy the factory lighting is.

IMO lightforce lights are one of the cheapest high quality light on the market, and most versatile with all the filter combinations. I may have to consider the HID upgrade kits to see how much the lights improve.

Now I am off to the north for a couple weeks to fix a few generators.

sapper

Adventurer
I am from Calgary but I am living and working in Cold Lake for the moment.

Being military I move from time to time and travel a lot.

sapper

Adventurer
Some more pictures of what I have done in the bed for storage so far. I still have more work to do, as well as the severe duty filters I need to finish making a mount for.

P8310022.jpg

P8310021.jpg

P8310020.jpg

P8310018.jpg

P8310017.jpg

I also removed the intake baffle. I do plan to add and intake later but this will help for now.

P8310034.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
heh nice filter set up :p we use the 1R 0750's on the cats on our ship as primary filters and the 0749's as 2ndarys i got like 30 of those in my stores heh

Humvette

Adventurer
WOW i know i am new to the forum, but i love the build!

I especially like the Bed Slider! Where would one find one of those? Do they make custom sizes? And DIY versions...

I have a H1 wagon and digging gear out is a PIA. I am trying to make my H1 more EXPO ready.
Thx,
M

sapper

Adventurer
There are a number of companies producing the Bed Slides.

Mine is this version.

http://www.cap-it.com/bedslide.html

It is a little lighter than I like personnally but now that I have one, they are very simple to construct. I think if I were to do it again I would build it. All the main base is 2" channel with 3" flat bar to space the channel. On the ends of the end of the channel is a bearing to guide the angle iron frame in and out. The top frame is just angle iron with a plywood top. There are 2 more bearings on the end of the frame retained inside the channel.

I paid $800 for mine and I ordered on based only on the size as they didn't have a listing for my truck yet. They have a variety of sizes from 1/4 ton trucks right upto 1 ton 8 foot beds.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
There are a number of companies producing the Bed Slides.

Mine is this version.

http://www.cap-it.com/bedslide.html

It is a little lighter than I like personnally but now that I have one, they are very simple to construct. I think if I were to do it again I would build it. All the main base is 2" channel with 3" flat bar to space the channel. On the ends of the end of the channel is a bearing to guide the angle iron frame in and out. The top frame is just angle iron with a plywood top. There are 2 more bearings on the end of the frame retained inside the channel.

I paid $800 for mine and I ordered on based only on the size as they didn't have a listing for my truck yet. They have a variety of sizes from 1/4 ton trucks right upto 1 ton 8 foot beds.

They need a new video production co ;-)

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I'm curious as to when you use the led light bar -vs- the lightforce lights? I'm assuming they serve a separate purpose. Do you use them simultaneously or independently?

Thanks
-Chris

I did get the lights wired in last night and had a chance to align them. I had forgotten how bright the lightforce lights are. It also pointed out how crappy the factory lighting is.

IMO lightforce lights are one of the cheapest high quality light on the market, and most versatile with all the filter combinations. I may have to consider the HID upgrade kits to see how much the lights improve.

Now I am off to the north for a couple weeks to fix a few generators.

Last edited:

sapper

Adventurer
I have the lightforce wired to come on with my highbeams and the LED "amber" wired into the fogs. I do have a manual overide for both though.

dhodgee

It is because of things like EGR and the DPF that I will never buy a brand new diesel again. The last new ome I bought was an 05, andy most recent is a 94.
Shiny and new and unspoiled by a meathead is great, but a clean used 5.9 is my thing.

+1
I keep wanting a new one... but I'll just stick with the old 06.
Completely Straight piped and programed! Love it.

*Also...
Thuren Is a great guy to buy from. Top-notch service He knows his suspension. I've emailed him a bunch with an assortment of questions regarding his suspension... and he even gave me a discount on his adj. trac-bar.

Last edited:

sapper

Adventurer
I have been getting a lot of questions about how I wired my light in so I made a little drawing up for others to use.

For me I take wiring very seriously, as a few pennies pinched can cost you your vehicle very quickly and when I do something I never want to do it again so do it right the first time.

For things like lights I only use parallel bonded, jacketed wire or (duplex brake cable) for everything either 12/2 for the high current side of the relay from the battery to the lights and 18/2 for the switching side of the relay. It keeps everything very clean and easy to route and I HATE split loom.

All my connections into the factory harness are soldered and then heat shrinked, this just ensures that I never have to worry about corrosion on my wires later and that the factory harness is not weakened in any way. I never cut a factory wire to do this I just strip 1/2" of insulation and solder to the wire.

Everything on a vehicle at some point is going to have to come off or be moved so I always use weather-pack connectors at the ends of all connections to lights, fans, compressors, and behind the dash to make easy removal when the time comes without having to cut wires to do things. I also use weather-pack style HELLA relays and fuse holders. I had 10 years on my last truck and I never had to rewire anything or even blew a fuse.

Here is how I have my Fog lights, off road lights, backup lights, and train horns wired in.

The below diagram is for 1 PAIR of lights or up to a 30 load on the relay.

RELAYDIAGRAM.png

As for the back up lights what I always do is run 3 wire cable (#12) to the back of one of the tail lights. An old extension cord works very well for this. I mount the relay behind the tail light also. So using an old extension cord you will have 3 wire colors (white,green, and black). I run the white wire to the battery (via the fuse) and then connect it to pin 30 on the relay behind the light. The black wire I solder into the back up light circuit and connect the other end to the bottom (auto) of the switch. The green wire gets connected to pin 85 on the relay and a small jumper from pin 86 to the mounting screw for the relay on one end behind the light and the center pin on the switch. From pin 87 you run more #12 wire to the lights of your choice, and ground the lights near the lights or back at the mounting screw for the relay which is what I prefer. This way you only have to look in one place if things ever stop working.

This will provide you with backup lights that will come on automatically with your factory back up lights, all you need to do is run a power wire from a keyed source light your lighter plug to the top pin of the switch to allow for manual operation of the back up lights.

sapper

Adventurer
As for suspension I think it will be a compilation of parts from a few vendors.

I really like the DT Profab long arms but I want thuren springs. I want to keep it low but still fit 35-37s with wheel travel.

sapper

Adventurer
Nothing too new to add as I have been away from home for most of the last 6months. I am sitting in Afghanistan at the moment.

I did install HID's in the factory lights when I was home at x-mas and I will be home shortly and should have a large collection of parts and more LED lights to add to the truck when I am home. I have a 5500k trip coming this summer with the truck so I want it all done by then.

I will be deleting the DPF, EGR, EGR Cooler, and Throttle valve/Grid heater. I will be adding a high flow grid heater with a cold air intake and tuner to keep the check engine light away. I also plan to add higher capacity diff cover for the rear and a 31 Gallon auxilary fuel tank to extend fuel range.

I have really been looking at aluminess for a rear bumper replacement but that may be awhile. I notice now that buckstop also makes aluminum bumpers and I really like thier front bumpers.

I really regret selling my M101A3 trailer and I think I may be trying to get another one but I will be adding side bins to it when I do and a rigid roof barn doors and front wall. I need something like this for getting wood home as well as a base camp to work from when on outings.

I also pickup some really nice masterpull products like a 75" XP extension, tow strap, and snatch block.

I just can't wait to get home see my wife and drive my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online