2011 Diesel UREA Exhaust and High Water.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Andrew,

Inside a typical cast turbo outlet

4187556046_4963440fd6_m.jpg

Plate protruding out into the turbo housing to split the turbo discharged gas and the wastegated gas.

4187556680_c8ae2de22b_m.jpg

A split dump pipe.

4186796143_24ff860d61_m.jpg

And ... Sure. Like this would be legal. Once a wastegate opens the noise level shoots up. Since the turbine slices up the sound waves, the turbo discharge is never really what you could call loud. But wastegate discharge is a different story. If I was doing a split system, I'd run a muffler of some sort on both or join both pipes back into one before a single muffler.

4187560720_d1d024f10d_m.jpg

whatcharterboat

Hi Andrew,

Inside a typical cast turbo outlet

4187556046_4963440fd6_m.jpg

Plate protruding out into the turbo housing to split the turbo discharged gas and the wastegated gas.

4187556680_c8ae2de22b_m.jpg

A split dump pipe.

4186796143_24ff860d61_m.jpg

And ... Sure. Like this would be legal. Once a wastegate opens the noise level shoots up. Since the turbine slices up the sound waves, the turbo discharge is never really what you could call loud. But wastegate discharge is a different story. If I was doing a split system, I'd run a muffler of some sort on both or join both pipes back into one before a single muffler.

4187560720_d1d024f10d_m.jpg

Amesz00

Adventurer
darn it cant work out this multiquote thing...
anyways

"And ... Sure. Like this would be legal. Once a wastegate opens the noise level shoots up. Since the turbine slices up the sound waves, the turbo discharge is never really what you could call loud. But wastegate discharge is a different story. If I was doing a split system, I'd run a muffler of some sort on both or join both pipes back into one before a single muffler. "

yeah trust me i know all about this! Because mine has no muffler, for some reason the 3" pipe seems to amplify this REALLY loud rasp at high rpm- with the boost guage you can see it must be the wastegate, it only happens at over 8psi, or when the gate is really opening... hoping more boost (or no wastegate...) will get rid of this, as it is seriously LOUD. And that comes from someone who thinks his mates' 1HZ-T straight pipe is quiet....

So you think that there is serious potential in this split-dump setup? i mean compared to say a 3 or 3.5" dump pipe into a full system? i can definetly see where your coming from in that you could leave the exhaust from the turbo to the brake alone.

whatcharterboat

So you think that there is serious potential in this split-dump setup? i mean compared to say a 3 or 3.5" dump pipe into a full system? i can definetly see where your coming from in that you could leave the exhaust from the turbo to the brake alone.

I dont think anyone's tried it yet.

BTW Just click the little yellow text icon (next to the mountain icon in the toolbar) and then cut'n'paste your quote
in here (/quote]

Amesz00

Adventurer
while we're on turbos and related, you know that the new MAN TGMs (and i think the TGS/TGX also) run a Borg Warner compound turbo setup? if you can see past the myriad of guards and sound baffles, you'll see them.
this, while may not give higher peak torque and power (except for the 240kw/1250nm version), gives the fattest and flattest power curve...
mmm, compound turbo'd fuso...:drool:

BTW Just click the little yellow text icon (next to the mountain icon in the toolbar) and then cut'n'paste your quote
in here (/quote]

kay lets see if this works...

still didnt work- may have better luck next time...

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
My theory is cool water more than anything would simply prevent the DPF from working correctly, could throw codes etc.. Also food for thought. A chip burn and deletion is an excellent idea and tactic. There should also be little or no issues with 500ppm sulfur fuel then as well...

whatcharterboat

while we're on turbos and related, you know that the new MAN TGMs (and i think the TGS/TGX also) run a Borg Warner compound turbo setup? if you can see past the myriad of guards and sound baffles, you'll see them.

I'll have a look at the TGM we're working on at the moment. Maybe take some pics tomorrow.

Amesz00

Adventurer
I'll have a look at the TGM we're working on at the moment. Maybe take some pics tomorrow.

try again...

now theres another vehicle that could benefit from a decantly set up exhaust system, though probably not as critical as the fuso's. Again, thier 'PM KAT' filter/muffler has plenty of wires hanging out of it that dont look like they would like to be hooked to thin air....

My theory is cool water more than anything would simply prevent the DPF from working correctly, could throw codes etc.. Also food for thought. A chip burn and deletion is an excellent idea and tactic. There should also be little or no issues with 500ppm sulfur fuel then as well...

dieselcruiserhead, can i ask what makes you think this? im always good for new ways to get rid of unnecessary electronics. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven