2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Ursa Minor J30 Pop Up Camper - Fully Built!!!

shmabs

Explorer
Good luck with the sale Brian! Having seen this jeep work VERY well in person, I can attest to how clean, functional and well thought out it is. Almost as though someone with a mind towards aviation owned/built it (wink wink)

Mike

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Good luck with the sale Brian! Having seen this jeep work VERY well in person, I can attest to how clean, functional and well thought out it is. Almost as though someone with a mind towards aviation owned/built it (wink wink)

Mike

Thanks Mike! Hope things are going well on the coast down there.

Last night I finally got a chance to clean her up. Then it rained all night. Here are a few more fresh pictures, unfortunately still from an iPhone and downgraded with photobucket but that's what I have to work with for now.

Also I'll be at the Central Oregon Sportsmen Show this Saturday morning (and Bend Friday night) if anyone from the area wants to check it out.

null_zpsf7ed6714.jpg

null_zps8bc6790e.jpg

null_zps7f16f34c.jpg

null_zps99ea0a07.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Still available! I do have a little flexibility on price, and again I'm happy to keep the winch and offer additional discount.

For comparison sake, a new rubicon equipped as mine will cost $40k today. The Ursa Minor J30 equipped as mine will run $7,400 plus taxes/shipping (I paid $450 for crate and freight). I spent $5000 on the front axle alone two months ago, plus the fox stabilizer, new wheel bearings, an under hood compressor, spod electrical box, custom switches etc. Just to put it in perspective a bit for what is included. As earlier stated, would be willing to consider offers without the top as well (no the top is not for sale currently). I'm headed back to work for two weeks soon and will likely list a lot of the spares/extras for sale elsewhere.

I drove to Bend/Redmond this weekend and averaged 15.7mpg, mostly at 60-70mph. Gearing did not seem to negatively effect highway mileage, but climbing performance on the pass is significantly improved.

Brian
541-921-8839
choppedair@gmail.com

Littlehouse

Adventurer
This thing is beautiful, and would be perfect for me, my girl, and my dog.....just $20k short. Good luck with the sale.

Edit: Why did you replace the front axle?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
This thing is beautiful, and would be perfect for me, my girl, and my dog.....just $20k short. Good luck with the sale.

Edit: Why did you replace the front axle?

Because I'm picky mostly. ;)

Actually there are a few reasons. With 3.5" of lift, you have to make a compromise between caster and proper pinion angle for an aftermarket driveshaft. At just 4 degrees of caster, there was a 5 degree split between pinion angle and drive shaft angle. It is not ideal, though sometimes works mostly smoothly, I like to do things the right way. This was probably my main reason, but here are several more.

This axle housing itself is much stronger than the factory housing that commonly bends with heavy use and big tires. I had my original axle modified with internal axle sleeves, inner C gussets, lower control arm skids and a basic truss over the center section. All of these things added weight. The teraflex housing has much larger diameter and stronger tube, larger inner Cs, a stronger/wider center section that holds more of the tube to prevent bending. The bracketry on the housing is significant thicker than the factory housing, and include a lower control arm skid. All of this, and the teraflex housing weighs less than my modified axle did.

I was already re-gearing the rear axle. Re-gearing the front would have been another $800 or so.

I wanted stronger/smoother axle shafts. Stock u joints in the front housing bind when turning much in the snow and cause a bit of feedback and wobble in the steering wheel. Every time I was playing in rocks, wedged somewhere with the wheel cranked to one side I was just waiting for a u joint to break. The RCVs are very strong, extremely smooth (like an ifs truck in four wheel drive), and the CV joints to do loose significant strength when turning, like a u joint does. They also have a no BS warranty. If you ever manage to break one, they send a new one.

It also presented me with an opportunity to install a stronger locker from ARB.

Basically when I thought about adding a bunch of things to the stock front axle that would never achieve "proper" angles, it just made more sense for me to have a new one put together with all the right components. It is significantly stronger, the jeep handles better and drives smoother. Off road, you don't have to worry so much about it.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
It was always listed at $55..? I have a little flexibility but not $10k worth. ;)

The next rig is probably something relatively boring. I'm still not 100% sure but probably back to a truck.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
This Jeep is amazing and has always given me a lot of inspiration. Good luck with the sale. That is a very decent price.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I'll be unavailable by phone for the next several days. I should have occasional access to email however at choppedair@gmail.com

Also I had to pick up some extra work, so I'll only be home from March 28 to April 4, then back out to work for three weeks.

Price drop to $54,000 as is, $53,000 without the winch.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Still available. I've had a lot of emails, including one individual who was very interested until he realized it was a manual transmission.

I'll be home for the next week, then gone again for three weeks.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I had to make an emergency trip home last night. Baby is trying to come 10 weeks early and it looks like I'll be missing months of of work at best (can't very well be 2500 miles away right now), as will the wife. :(

Considering serious offers.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Nice rig. Hope some one comes forward to buy it. Good luck with the early delivery thinking good thoughts. Mine came early (not that early) but emergency C-section to save the baby and mom. All good, just turned 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online