2012 JKU Rubicon Build/Adventure Thread

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Nice choice on the bumper - it was the other one we considered for Mis Rubi. I'm picky on fab'd stuff since I usually do all my own, and was pleased with the quality from LoD.

Mark

Septu

Explorer
New bumper and winch installed. Sorry for the large pictures

LoD Mid Width with a custom pre-runner setup. Winch is a 10k Engo. I still need to attach winch line and the skid plate once it arrives. I also need to shave the Vision X LED foglights a bit - or I might be able to get away with adjusting the mount as the passenger side isn't too bad. I'll likely end up doing both. Currently one is pointed so high it's useless (unless I want to piss off other drivers), while the other is pointed almost straight down. The fogs fit (and I really like the look), but it's so tight that there's absolutely no room to adjust the lights at all.

One thing I was surprised about was how low the center section is. Kind of disappointed with that - however a pair of 240 LF lights will cover that. The other thing (if I did this over again), would be to have the center bull bar about 1.5-2 inches lower/shorter. However I still prefer this with the larger bar than without. It would also be nice if LoD would use some sort of light mounting (like AEV does) so that the bolt for the lights are not in the bumper. Had I actually planned on using those, tightening up the bolts for the lights would have been a complete *****.

bumper2.jpg

bumper1.jpg

Last edited:

just eric

Adventurer
How do you like the Lightforce on the windshield? Do you get a lot of glare off the hood? I have some Rigid D2s on there and the glare is ridiculous.

Septu

Explorer
How do you like the Lightforce on the windshield? Do you get a lot of glare off the hood? I have some Rigid D2s on there and the glare is ridiculous.

The glare is there. I have Trail Skin panels that go on the hood that I use on road trips. Short stuff I just suck it up.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Finally saw your JK in town yesterday.

Monday the 10th sitting on Main in front of the new apartments in front of Misbah's place.

Looks great !

-Dan

Septu

Explorer
Nothing much going on. But washed the jeep today - it was +3c, and is suppose to go back to -20 so decided it would be a good day to clean it. Only to discover that my first real marks on it was from some ******* who opened their door and scuffed up the paint, and creased the panel. And it's on the drivers side, so I'll see it every single time I get into my jeep. :mad::mad:

What pisses me off the most isn't the ding itself... but that it was made from someone else. Had I done it wheeling, I wouldn't have cared at all. In fact I'd likely remember it fondly from whatever trip it was from.

18981_10151185079097595_1112536826_n.jpg

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
another reason why i upgraded my rocker guards. i had tube guards on my TJ and i watched someone literally kick their door open into my jeep once, folded in the edge of their door and they couldnt get it closed. i guess they never slammed their door into anything but another body panel

sorry about your luck man. best thing i can suggest is to get a body mounted rocker panel. i recommend the Titan tub armor that nemesis makes. lightweight 3/16ths 6061-t6 aluminum. its worth the premium.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Our '11 silver Rubi got broken into in Portland when it was four days old. Busted passenger rear window, and they tried to pry the lower gate open and bent the crap out of it. I feel your pain!

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Agreed, probably best way to cover. You could paint it to match the body. I've seen some that are hard to spot at first glance.

another reason why i upgraded my rocker guards. i had tube guards on my TJ and i watched someone literally kick their door open into my jeep once, folded in the edge of their door and they couldnt get it closed. i guess they never slammed their door into anything but another body panel

sorry about your luck man. best thing i can suggest is to get a body mounted rocker panel. i recommend the Titan tub armor that nemesis makes. lightweight 3/16ths 6061-t6 aluminum. its worth the premium.

Septu

Explorer

Already decided on a set from Trail Skin. They will cover 95%+ of everything, and are dirt cheap ($172+ S/H). Have seen these up close when I was down south in December, and I know the owner. Had some of these on my list of things to get this year... Now I'll just be getting them sooner rather than later.

http://www.trailskinz.com/otherproducts.html

Septu

Explorer
So while things have been progressing fairly slowly, I did order some new fenders last week (Smittybilt steel flat fenders). These should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. Will try to get them installed sometime this week. Eventually I'll get these painted to match the body, but for now (and likely all summer) they'll stay black.

Then when looking for suggestions on my BC trip in June, I scored a sweet deal on a steel mopar rear bumper. No tire carrier, however the hole is there for one. And the best part is the AEV tire carrier will fit, which means I can pick that and their 10g gas caddy up down the road sometime. Unfortunately I don't get the bumper until I go down to Vancouver in June. Also managed to find a hitch - still can't believe I didn't order the JK with it. Doh.

Couple stock shots of the fenders:
43_4.jpg

43_5.jpg

And a couple pics of the bumper:
75792-lg.jpg

17f2c2ab.jpg

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Installed the fenders tonight. I'll have to remove the fronts and cut up the inner liners... to tired and cold and hungry to do that tonight. Also need to buy 2 shorter bolts for each of the fronts.

First impressions... love the backs. I think the fronts come in too much at the front of the fender... But for $500 shipped ($200 of which was shipping) I'm alright with them. I'd like to get them painted to match, but that can wait too. I'm really happy with how they flow from the midwidth to the fender. Goes a lot better than the stock ones did. They'll stay until I wreck one of them, or I have enough money (that doesn't get earmarked for something else) to buy the PSC ones.

Took maybe 20/30 minutes to remove a and install both of the rears. First front took close to an hour, while the 2nd went a tad faster.

625552_10151341169402595_2135069127_n.jpg

Kind of a crappy picture. But it does show the clearance - especially in the rear.
155776_10151341179332595_1822658829_n.jpg

Septu

Explorer
And just scored some new tires. No pics yet. But a buddy had a set of 33 IROKs that he wanted to move. Managed to get some guy to agree to buy my stock Rubi tires. So will buy the IROKs and get them mounted up today (hopefully). Then recoup half my cost by selling mine! They're only 33s, but that's okay. For $450, for 5 practically new tires, I can live with 33s for a while. Especially considering that I had 33s on my 07 JK, and other than a couple occasions, I was never stuck because I didn't have than extra inch that 35s gives me... when I got stuck, it was almost always due to the line I selected.

hollaback55

Explorer
does the mounting of the lightforces on the windshield pillars cause glare on the hood when driving?

contemplating moving my baja designs squadrons up there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL