2012 JKU Rubicon Build/Adventure Thread

Septu

Explorer
Yes. And it's pretty noticeable. However when doing road trips, I have a magnetic panel that came with the limb raisers that covers a large part of the center section of the hood that I use. This really really cuts down on the glare. But if you can mount the lights down low, I'd really try to do that first. I have two 7" 55w HIDs that will be going on the bumper (once I get the bracket welded on), so the only place I have room is on the pillar.

Will post a picture, as I'm going wheeling on Sunday and will have it on then.

The other thing, is my LF lights have 100w HIDs in them... so while there's glare, the light going forward makes up for it.

Septu

Explorer
New Rubber!

Iroks 33 x 13.5 x 17. A little wider than I'd prefer... but for $450 (after selling my stock ones) I can't really complain. Need to figure something out for the tail light, as the spare doesn't quite fit properly. Will ask my buddy how he made his fit... or just chop the 3rd brake light (cops up here are pretty lax about things).

The side of my jeep will never ever be clean again.

66884_10151347366477595_179121472_n.jpg

Septu

Explorer
So got to test the tires yesterday. Did a trail I did 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately didn't get much further... still too much snow (our snow is like fluffy fine grains of sand). Went from the guy following the bigger jeep (my old 07 JK X with 4" of lift and 35s) to being the guy breaking trail. Other than one mud hill that wasn't part of the trail, we were in 2-3 feet of snow the whole time. Never once had to use my winch or get a pull. We wouldn't have made it half as far as we did if my friend with my old JK was breaking trail.

A couple pics. New fenders work pretty good too. Other than them not covering my tire, and the side of my jeep being filthy.
552869_10151349050027595_241964789_n.jpg

72570_10151349046677595_1350113489_n.jpg

387212_640572949293152_743822281_n.jpg

525408_640573485959765_1488729879_n.jpg

528301_10151349046097595_558805447_n.jpg

Where we decided to turn around. And have a snack.
603689_10151349046347595_1246332917_n.jpg

Septu

Explorer
Yeah rubber went on Saturday morning. We went back behind lake Labarge (down long lk rd). Didn't get very far... ended up stopping a few k before the first creek crossing. Still a ton of snow back there. At times I could sit on top of it if I was going faster than 25/30, otherwise I'd just sink and dig. Not the end of the world for me... but the stock samuri and my old JK with 35s always had a heck of a time whenever I chewed up the trail.

Septu

Explorer
Big purchase today. Bought a m101 trailer with a RTT off a forum member. I won't get it until I go to Vancouver in June... but I can't wait!! Am so excited! Won't do much to start with.
- Change out the tires and the wheels so they're close to matching my JK (at least size wise).
- Extend the tong a bit so I can mount gas cans and a box for the battery down the road sometime - and hopefully still open my tailgate.
- Figure out a way to have some sort of counter top mount off of the side.
- Change how the lid opens so that it opens from 1 side (currently opens to the front). I know I first thought from the front would be better... but with the RTT, I can see that being an issue to open the lid when it's deployed. Where as it wouldn't be if it opened from the side.

No real rush for any of these... but that's the starting list.

ede3u7uz.jpg

yduzapap.jpg

Septu

Explorer
Thanks. I can't take any credit for how it looks today. But I plan on making some changes once it get it back home. Did order some wheel adapters today, so I can keep the stock axle and run the same wheels as my JK. Amazing how I always seem to find a way to spend money.

Also spent last night working on the trunk cover I built for my 07 JK. Jeep in their wisdom decided to raise the plastic covers on the rear rollbars where it meets the jeep tub. That left me with the option of either cutting a bigger hole around the posts, or raising the platform 3/4 of an inch. I decided to raise the platform. In hindsight I probably should have cut the hole bigger. I thought I could get a cleaner look if I raised it. However with the amount of trimming I've had to do on the corners (the cover was never made with the intention of using a soft top with it), I think I would have had a cleaner look had I just made the holes bigger. I still need to do some trimming so that it doesn't rub, but it's close now.

I'll paint it up and see what I think. If I'm unhappy with it after my trip next week (off to BC for 2 weeks of camping, kayaking and exploring - and for my brothers grad, to grab my trailer and my cousins wedding) I'll re-evaluate things. Potentially just remaking it - with bigger holes around the posts lol.

Here's a picture on my old JK to give you an idea as to what I'm talking about ^^. The idea being that I wanted something to hide my **** in the trunk of the JK while I'm down in BC with my soft top - either with the windows off, or with the top down.

270925_10150223108317595_5971452_n.jpg263882_10150223108467595_1069903_n.jpg

Septu

Explorer
Well went out this weekend for a little ride. Picked a bad line through some scrub brush, and ****ed up my oil pan. Will be calling the dealer (and all the automotive places) in the morning to see about getting a new one.
Where we went - that's Fish Lk on the left.
10057_10151408199952595_963099589_n.jpg

Overlooking Fish Lake - still ice on it.
960033_10151408210667595_1136111150_n.jpg

971771_10151408209787595_872090382_n.jpg

And my oil pan. Fortunately it wasn't leaking at the time. There is a very small slow leak (it's been a couple days yet is still reading full). However as I'm about to drive from Whitehorse to Vancouver next week, it's something that I really want to get fixed before I leave.
935833_10151408211812595_35595464_n.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Nice pics buddy, sorry to hear about the oil pan.

If you've got a spare seat in the Jeep, I'd love to come with you next time you head out someplace like that.

Have a great drive down to BC!, take some pics.

I'm 332 4612

-Dan

Septu

Explorer
So my adventure starts today. Well kinda. Need to finish packing and loading up. But will drive from Whitehorse to PG. Should arrive in PG sometime on Wednesday evening (all depends on when I leave here and where I watch the hockey game tomorrow). It's 1800 km down the Alaska highway. I'll pick up my brother in PG, then continue on to Vancouver. Should arrive Thursday evening.

I have to go to my brothers graduation on Saturday, then I'm free for 2 weeks. Planning on exploring Britannia Mine (Britannia Beach) on Sunday, then either a trip to Everett WA (grab some wheels for the trailer that's sitting in my parents garage), or doing some camping/kayaking for a few days around Van (around is relative... anything within 400km is "around" lol). Going wheeling with friends on the 22nd. Then spending a few days doing the Harrison Lk/Pemby route with a friend. I'll likely spend more time around there and Lillooet. Again, camping, kayaking and wheeling. Figure I'll go back to Vancouver on the 27th ish, to grab my full doors, and my wheels. Then head up to Quesnel for my cousins wedding on the 29th. Then I have a week to make my way home before having to go back to work.

Total trip should be about 7000km (~4400 miles). It'll be a good break in period for my trailer. And I'm sure the drive home (or at least the sleeps) will be a lot comfyer than the drive down :)

Now to go pack.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Then spending a few days doing the Harrison Lk/Pemby route with a friend.

There are some spectacular remote hotsprings on that route if you have any interest.
You can camp at them, soak long into the night, etc.

Pickup the book "Hotsprings of Western Canada" by Glenn Woodsworth if you're interested.

Have fun!

-Dan

Septu

Explorer
Thanks. Will take a look for that. My buddy lives in Whistler, and has been throughout that area... so he should know about them. But will look for the book just in case.

Septu

Explorer
Well made it to Vancouver last night. However have been having overheating issues. Jeep goes to Dodge tomorrow. I think it has something to do with my engine fan not kicking into high gear... Will test this tonight after I finish up the wiring.

Also while crawling under it tonight (wiring in the 7 pin trailer harness), I noticed that my transmission is leaking (red liquid). I see there's a recall out for the 2012s and some early 2013s (with an auto), as the tranny lines would rub and leak. Will ask Dodge about it tomorrow. However have never noticed any drip marks in my driveway back home, so not sure what to think about this.

Sadly I think that it'll mean I'm stuck in Vancouver a while longer than I wanted... I'd hoped to be on the road Sunday morning (checking out Britannia Mine/Beach) then out of Van on Monday. Now not so sure. Will also see how this impacts my budget... ideally my warranty will cover it... fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL