2012 Range Rover HSE Build/ Travel Write Up

Colorofkris

We have found victory in failure! Finally got the rest of the fastener out. The helicoil kit is coming in later today so that will be a tomorrow project. Hope is a little crooked so I’m going to get the dremel out and work it a little more before going in with the drill for the repair.

Also got the software reinstalled on the injectors.

Hoping to have this back on the road this week, supposed to be going camping this next weekend and I was hoping to take this over the disco.

4a6b1916a9583d5b581bf17dbae33405.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

I truly envy your patience. A lesser man would set fire to that thing and called the insurance company.

Haha , I feel like my lack of patience is what got me into this mess. On a serious note I get to a point where I feel like I’m going to mentally break then I step back and clear my head on it and just pluck at it for an hour here and an hour there. I get frustrated pretty easily when things don’t go the way I want them to and can get destructive so I’ve learned to find the point where I back off and come back when I cool down. Personally I am surprised, and I think my wife is even more so, that I haven’t just blown it up.

More importantly it doesn’t deserve to fall victim to my incompetence. I am also motivated to have air conditioning for my next camp trip

Colorofkris

Range Rover is back together. Started up no issue, bled the coolant, gave it a bath, and took it for a ride. 2 miles down the road restricted performance came up. Faults came up on the gap tool as misfires on all 4 on the passenger side, which is the side I worked on. Shut it down, cranked it back up and misfires on 7 cylinders. Clear faults they would come right back up. Made it to the gas station, put some gas in it because it was running pretty dang low, which I thought might be the culprit. After getting gas it ran worse. Got it home which was about a mile, pulled codes again and there was no misfires showing now. Still getting restricted performance when it goes over 2k rpm’s. Idles awful, will sit at 700 then drops to about 530 then 470 and feels like it’s going to stall, then it starts to come back.

I’ve got the battery on the fender again in hopes to bring a charge back to it incase that has anything to do with the issue and I’m running a ground on the terminals to do a hard reset. I also unplugged and replugged the maf.

I’m beyond fed up. It ran phenomenally for those first 2 miles and the coolant bleeding. ******?!?

Colorofkris

Took it all back apart and put it all back together. Checked all the injector seals, o rings, coil packs, connectors, and pulled the fuel rail pressure sensor and cleaned it. We are now idling around 700rpm, dipping briefly into the 690s then back up. Gap tool is still showing all the misfire faults but showing 5&7 are continuous. Not showing the low pressure code anymore either.

I’m going to do some more digging around on the web to see if I can get some direction. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me why it’s acting up this way and what would cause the issue in the work that I did.

4c157a89dd1ee2d15d861deffd35c9a9.jpg

Colorofkris

I assume your tool doesn't show the fuel pressure? Do the plugs look wet?

I found a great video through another forum that does a full break down on diagnosing and fixing the fuel system on the 5.0 and judging by my symptoms it’s seems to be injectors stuck open. Low fuel pressure and unburnt fuel from the tail pipe.

I’m trying to further out the gap tool to see pressure but supposedly it’s not a value they can check. They can check voltage for the pressure sensors but I can’t find them so I’m going to keep messing with it. I didn’t pull plugs yet. Battery was also dead when I went to crank it up to check codes and values yesterday so I’m charging the battery again. I’m crossing my fingers that it’s just a voltage issue from the battery but I’m putting my money on bad injectors.

GSP

Sounds fun.

We had a crazy issue last year with ours. It would randomly die, and not restart for days, but then restart and run fine for weeks. Never any CEL or codes. We replaced the in tank pump and everything was ok... till it did it again 10 months latter.

The dealer had it for 2 months. They would walk by it 10-15 times a day and start it. On the very slim chance that it didn't start they would drop what they were doing and try to find the issue. Almost every time they made back out to the car, hooked up all the diagnostic tools, it would start again.

So we did what any self respecting person would do, we started throwing parts at it. After about $2500 in parts we found a burnt pin in the in tank pump connector. That seems to have fixed it... but it's always in the back of my mind.

Colorofkris

That sucks that it took that long to diagnose.

I’m going to start at injectors since it’s the most relevant thing to cause the issue. Once I replace those I will start working my way back. All the symptoms scream injectors. After that it will be coils and plugs.

gatorgrizz27

Don’t forget you can swap the existing parts around to diagnose. If you have misfires and 5 and 7, and move those injectors to 1 and 4, and codes stay the same, the issue is coils, wiring harness, etc. If it follows, it’s injectors.

I was fairly certain I had bad injectors in my LR3, turned out to just be coil packs.

Colorofkris

Injectors seemed to do the trick! We are back in action! Driven about 10 miles so far and all codes are cleared and the Rover is running how it should.

That being said I decided the first drive should be for a victory pizza!

21d96b2d7f72e0b375158d134271d090.jpg

72fcf8bfa6ec40aa32ab2e387a9bee54.jpg

Colorofkris

Day 3 of the Range Rover being back in the road and it seems to be doing well. The wife has been driving it since we sold her truck a few weeks ago.

First weekend in June we will be doing its maiden camp voyage. Looking forward to getting it off-road and seeing how it does. We aren’t doing anything to crazy but we will have some fun!

I’ve the next 2 weeks though we will be finishing up a few small projects and moving over the roof top tent from the discovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater