2012 Yukon XL 2500 Overland Build

boss324

Observer
Yeah it's a very nice scenic drive through the redwoods and coast should take around 45m to an hour. Air the tires down a bit the wife willbthank you! I took the family and they enjoyed it. You end up back on hwy 1 I usually go down to big Sur afterwards for some food.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Sweet looking Yukon there Big50! I also love your pics of the trips you are on. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Chilli..:)

michaelse

I'm a huge fan of your Yukon, since hardly anyone uses the NNBS 2500 platform for overlanding. As someone currently looking for a NNBS 2500 Suburban that's not base trim, with under 75k miles, I realize you're right about how rare they are. I haven't found one yet, and I'm even willing to travel several hundred miles for the right one. Maybe someday.

A few questions if you don't mind.. How's the power from the 6.0 with the 4.56s and 35s? And for that matter what kind of mileage do you see? How's do you like the hitchgate? I've heard they're worth the (high) price because the fit & finish is second to none.

Big50

Adventurer
Sweet looking Yukon there Big50! I also love your pics of the trips you are on. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Thanks!

Yeah it's a very nice scenic drive through the redwoods and coast should take around 45m to an hour. Air the tires down a bit the wife willbthank you! I took the family and they enjoyed it. You end up back on hwy 1 I usually go down to big Sur afterwards for some food.

That sounds awesome. Definitely going back there soon!

I'm a huge fan of your Yukon, since hardly anyone uses the NNBS 2500 platform for overlanding. As someone currently looking for a NNBS 2500 Suburban that's not base trim, with under 75k miles, I realize you're right about how rare they are. I haven't found one yet, and I'm even willing to travel several hundred miles for the right one. Maybe someday.

A few questions if you don't mind.. How's the power from the 6.0 with the 4.56s and 35s? And for that matter what kind of mileage do you see? How's do you like the hitchgate? I've heard they're worth the (high) price because the fit & finish is second to none.

I'd kind of given up until i found this one.

Power is pretty good. It's not the same as my Raptor but close. I recently used it to tow my 7000lb travel trailer and it did well. Raptor pulls better up grades but I'd expect that as it makes 55 more HP and 50TQ. MPG isn't great - average 10-11 MPG and about 7 towing.

synonymous

Great looking truck!!! How is the 6.0 for power? I put the wife in a Denali XL, but with 20" wheels, stock ride height, and street tires, it isn't meant for offroading and our growing family means 7-passenger mandatory seating so I've been on the lookout for a Yukon 2500 to fit the bill. The 6.2L in it is feels barely adequate, so I wasn't sure if the 6.0 would be enough.

Looking forward to following this build thread.

Doug B

Sorry to revive an old post but I didn’t see any updates on this. Do you still have it or have you done anything else with it? I have a 2500 Suburban I’m getting ready to build up. I like what you’ve done with it and was thinking of the same mods to start with.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

B.I.L.L.Y

X2, Would love to hear more about this. Is it still around? What are some of the benefits that were important to you from the 1500 to the 2500?

Big50

Adventurer
X2, Would love to hear more about this. Is it still around? What are some of the benefits that were important to you from the 1500 to the 2500?

Sorry guys, sold her about a year ago. Kinda regretted letting her go and not getting a chance to really use it.

The biggest reason I got the 2500 over the 1500 is the towing capacity as we have a travel trailer we like to use often when we aren't doing remote camping trips. The only mod left that I had planned was to swap out the rear leaf springs for a progressive leaf pack. The stock rear springs were pretty ridged. Plus I wanted to eliminate the lift block.

The 1500 vs 2500 is a tough call. They both have their positives and negatives. I prefer the suspension setup on the 1500 with the coilover shock and rear coil spring. It will perform better offroad for the most part. The 2500 has the higher payload and towing capacity. Just have to figure out which is more important to you. For me, I wanted to be able to tow with 6-7 people in the truck, something that would have put me way over payload for a 1500.

B.I.L.L.Y

Sorry guys, sold her about a year ago. Kinda regretted letting her go and not getting a chance to really use it.

The biggest reason I got the 2500 over the 1500 is the towing capacity as we have a travel trailer we like to use often when we aren't doing remote camping trips. The only mod left that I had planned was to swap out the rear leaf springs for a progressive leaf pack. The stock rear springs were pretty ridged. Plus I wanted to eliminate the lift block.

The 1500 vs 2500 is a tough call. They both have their positives and negatives. I prefer the suspension setup on the 1500 with the coilover shock and rear coil spring. It will perform better offroad for the most part. The 2500 has the higher payload and towing capacity. Just have to figure out which is more important to you. For me, I wanted to be able to tow with 6-7 people in the truck, something that would have put me way over payload for a 1500.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I have a 08 Suburban and before i start putting to much money into it i just want to make sure it's the right platform. It's a long long way from my 13 JKUR on prorocks and 37's ..lol My only fear about the 1500 is if it has too many weak points. I'm just not very knowledgeable with these.

Doug B

I went with the 2500 for the bigger engine. With a family of six and luggage to accommodate all of us, going up steep grades can be problematic for the 5.3. Took me a while to find it but was definitely worth the wait. Mine is fully loaded.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3