2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

iridewheelies

Adventurer
It's summer camping season, which means hot weather. My thinsulate curtains keep the Sun's rays from heating the interior too much. I need to improve my air venting situation. Last year I would usually pop the back door open a bit, just so it's at the first latch position, and pull air through the door gap then bent out the roof fan. It's not the best method but it worked.

I originally planned to put pop out windows in the back door for venting but I just thought of something that might work better.

What if I installed a small marine vent in the rear roof area? I should be able to get as much airflow across the cabin as I would with a pop out rear window but there's no chance of rain getting in.

Has anyone used one of these?

Nicro N28810 Air Vent 500, frosted polycarbonate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NI3H7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vowyxb02BTGRP

I can't test my idea without cutting a hole in the roof. Any thoughts?

iridewheelies

Adventurer
It's summer camping season, which means hot weather. My thinsulate curtains keep the Sun's rays from heating the interior too much. I need to improve my air venting situation. Last year I would usually pop the back door open a bit, just so it's at the first latch position, and pull air through the door gap then vent out the roof fan. It's not the best method but it worked.

I originally planned to put pop out windows in the back door for venting but I just thought of something that might work better.

What if I installed a small marine vent in the rear roof area? I should be able to get as much airflow across the cabin as I would with a pop out rear window but there's no chance of rain getting in.

Has anyone used one of these?

Nicro N28810 Air Vent 500, frosted polycarbonate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NI3H7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vowyxb02BTGRP

I can't test my idea without cutting a hole in the roof. Any thoughts?

Petrolburner

Explorer
I would think you'd prefer to pull air from down low where it's cooler, like a floor vent away from the hot exhaust. Once the van has been parked and cooled down, there's a shady area underneath that would be cooler air to pull in to the van. Also, consider the distance between the roof vent and the intake. If they're both in the roof, you wouldn't be mixing as much air or changing out the whole volume of air in the van as effectively as you could be. My roof vent is near the back of the van and I have visors on my front windows so I can crack them just a bit and still keep out the rain. As if we get any of that here in the desert. I also have numerous holes in my floor from seat mounting bolt holes that are unfilled. I could put a bolt in there to plug them up but I'd prefer the ability to pull air through them and out the roof fan. I also have pop out side windows but I can't open or close them from the driver's seat. When it's hot out I just crack the front two windows and put my Maxx Fan on 10 or 20% exhaust out if I'm just running into a store for a quick stop.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I've definitely thought about floor vents. I live in a wet climate and I camp in the snow a lot. How can I make sure I'm not sucking in extra vapor or that the vent isn't blocked with ice? The roof vent seemed like it wouldn't have as much chance of clogging up, except when buried with snow.

My roof vent is in the middle of the van, well maybe more like 2/3 of the way forward. I wanted it right above the kitchen so I can vent air above the stove when I'm cooking. I can rack the front windows open to allow air in, it doesn't help much in the back of the van. I can also use my webasto in fan mode to circulate air if required.

Even if it's not perfect for circulation, I don't see any reason to avoid trying it.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I would argue that putting the vents on the roof would have them iced up nearly all the time, as compared to underneath the van, provided it's not in the wheel well. The roof will be wet with snow or rain any time it falls from the sky right? The bottom of the van will always be shielded by the van itself, unless you're upside down in a ditch. At that point you've bigger problems. I think a filtered floor vent could be kept dry pretty easily. Also, have you even seen the intakes for a boat with an inboard motor?

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...SzBHTXYM8UpBt1Y1i9OZuad05PeA7GKpHMaAvjt8P8HAQ

You could put this on the side of the van and it would never get water in or ice over.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Even if it's not perfect for circulation, I don't see any reason to avoid trying it.

If there is a problem, like that it leaks, or it whistles because it wasn't meant to go 70 mph, or it constantly packs with snow and doesn't vent etc...then you're left with a 7 inch hole in your roof. I'd also lean towards something that had a way to open or close it. You might not want it open while driving due to noise or exhaust fumes depending on where you decide to punch the hole.

There's probably a number of people that have had this same debate before while planning. I'd personally look into floor vents that have worked well in other builds.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I see front and rear fan/vent in sprinters. That's where I got the idea. I wanted something smaller for the rear one which is why I was looking at the marine vent. It can be closed and opened, it's not open all the time. It also comes with a removable bug screen. I've heard from sprinter guys that the two fantastic fans work great.

Accrete

Explorer
I've definitely thought about floor vents...
Greetings.
I've pondered the same. I had researched the idea of using some sort of marine "Portlight" or similar. And while i'm not finding the size I had a few years back i'm sure they are still available. (amazon example search link). What I imagined was cutting the appropriate size in the curb side door foot well vertical wall area (the one I found was about ~4" x ~8" rounded rectangle) with a similar look to this:

41iMmo5I0TL.jpg

This way I could easily open/close the vent from inside and pull are from below once in camp.

I've also thought of using the roof vent similar to what you linked to, as of now what is working for us is cracking the front curbside cab window ~2" and bringing in air at that level through a no-see-um net we have velcroed to the interior door frame and utilizing the weather tech window guards to keep out any rain. Since the MaxxFan is ~24" higher it does an acceptable job of keeping things livable inside during our PNW summer.

Best wishes on the pondering and solution.
: ) Thom

simple

Adventurer
Your tip open rear windows idea with screens seems like an easy low pro solution. Doesn't seem like too much rain would get in. The screen material could be held in place with magnets.

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
After more thought, and some advice from the forum, I decided to give the second roof vent idea a try. I ordered a Ventline VP-543 https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Ventline/VP-543SP.html

It's simple and it's cheap. There are a few videos on Youtube showing how it works.

The fan was a little too loud when on so I also ordered a PWM motor controller to replace the on/off button. It's much quieter at 1/2 or even 3/4 speed plus it saves energy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZCINIM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installation was simple, just cut a 6 1/4" hole in the roof, drop in the van, seal it up and run power to it.

It works perfectly in combination with my maxxfan. Even at only 1/2 speed on the maxxfan there is a pretty good circulation of air coming into the van from the ventline, across the interior and out the roof via the maxxfan. The fan is directly over the dinette so when I'm sitting at the table I can reach up and open the ventline for a little air. When the dinette is made into a bed the ventline is directly over us. I've had a few nights of hot weather when we opened the ventine and ran the maxxfan at 20-40%, creating a nice breeze over us. When we cool off we can turn off the maxxfan with the remote control. Having the vents open with the blackout curtains up is the best feature of a dual roof fan, we can stealth camp in comfort.

Another option is to leave the front windows cracked with the ventline on, creating a breeze across the whole van.

It's easy to open and close. When closed there is no airflow, even on the freeway.

I'm very happy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater