2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Yes I am, I can clean it out with compressed air and it will work for 2-3 days at around 7,000 feet and then start having start up and flame fail codes. It works fine at 4,000 feet but still smells rich. I haven't had a lot of time to dive into it, the skiing has been really good lately.
I did apply for access to Webastos tech site and now have a login and password to access there software and tech files. But haven't messed with it yet.
Iridewheelies, I have been using a Webasto fuel filter and no dampener this whole time.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Telesteve, are you running it all day or only at night?

I need to run mine all day long to keep my dog warm. He hangs out in the van while I'm out skiing.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Telesteve, are you running it all day or only at night?

I need to run mine all day long to keep my dog warm. He hangs out in the van while I'm out skiing.
It depends, I typically run it whenever I can't be plugged in to keep the water system from freezing. Lately that has just been during the day or anytime it is parked away from home and not plugged in. When I have shore power I just use electric heat. When I first had the issues it was running 24 hours a day for about 3 days straight.

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
After a few calls and emails with Webasto tech support the recommendation was to buy a exhaust gas analyzer and adjust the co2 on the heater for altitude when I go up to high altitude to go skiing then just adjust it back when I get home to sea level. I asked if there was a way to do a "factory reset" to get it back to the stock adjustment but there is not. I have to use the co2 meter and follow the procedure.

The meter they use is called the E Instruments 1100. It's not cheap. I found it online for about $1300, but there was free shipping so that's nice.

Yep, I'm a little frustrated. I'm not going to spend more on the analyzer than I did on the heater. This is ridiculous.

It looked so great in this video full of lies.

[video]https://youtu.be/7W-eQPuEUKc[/video]

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Sounds really frustrating. Any chance of returning it and trying out an Espar instead? Seems to be lots of Espar tech support over on the Sprinter Forum...

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Yeah I'd say that YouTube video was full of lies too. Guaranteed, automatic altitude adjustment, etc. What a bummer.
Not really a lie since that video is showing the Airtop EVO, which does have the automatic altitude adjustment. It is misleading because it doesn't distinguish it from the Airtop 2000 ST.

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Yeah, I know the EVO has altitude adjustment. I shouldn't have written that. I was just bitching and complaining because I was frustrated.

I asked the tech support guy about upgrading to the EVO unit and he told me it was too large for my van. If I used a larger heater it would run less, and at a lower setting, so it would run dirty, which would foul the plug and burner and flame out so I'd be right back in the same situation.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Just thinking out loud here, and I know it won't help you at all.
But I wonder if a propane fired heater would have the same or as many issues?
I was pretty sold on buying an webasto or espar but after reading the rash of issues people on this forum have had with them I'm re thinking the potential purchase.

instantkarma

Just thinking out loud here, and I know it won't help you at all.
But I wonder if a propane fired heater would have the same or as many issues?
I was pretty sold on buying an webasto or espar but after reading the rash of issues people on this forum have had with them I'm re thinking the potential purchase.

Same here, now reconsidering a propex. Just not looking forward to dealing with the extra fuel.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Yeah, I know the EVO has altitude adjustment. I shouldn't have written that. I was just bitching and complaining because I was frustrated.

I asked the tech support guy about upgrading to the EVO unit and he told me it was too large for my van. If I used a larger heater it would run less, and at a lower setting, so it would run dirty, which would foul the plug and burner and flame out so I'd be right back in the same situation.
I completely understand your frustration, I am in the same boat. On the other hand I tried to connect my PC to my heater through the SmartTemp control and was unsuccessful. So I ordered a $40 USB adapter from EBay, it may take a while to get it. After not being able to connect and use the Thermotemp software I decided to use the manual altitude adjustments again. So I first returned it back to factory setting and then reset it starting with the dial at 2 o'clock and adjusting it down to 8 o'clock. It has now been running non stop since Tuesday with no issues and the rich smell is gone (about 8-9 hours during they day at 7,000' and nights at 4,000'). I know it's only two days but I am still hopeful. I will keep you updated.

mezmochill

Is outside
Order gaskets, disassemble (not difficult) and completely clean out carbon build up. If you do it with compressed air through the intake I doubt its really that clean in there. Start with a clean burn chamber after your adjustments. There are heat exchange fins in there that need adequate flow. JMHO. Good luck.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Ok it only went one more day since my last post. So today I decided to take a day off skiing to disassemble and clean the burner. Interestingly when I came back here to post my findings I see Mexmochill recommended the same thing and he was right the inside of the combustion chamber, exhaust, and muffler was absolutely caked with carbon build up.
c9ee51c431d66be3d09826e229ce7fa1.jpg

db841031b0fc3a80cc72a05b779f6c7e.jpg

939d63133cb70a9b9d232052b0ed3ef5.jpg

953d9c03baa9babf604d53f2037e877f.jpg

I took it completely apart and cleaned the combustion chamber out with a small brass wire brush and compressed air. The whole process took about an hour with about half that just removing and reinstalling it in the van. I ordered the gaskets before taking it apart, but the originals were in perfectly good condition. Webasto recommends they be changed with every tear down.
It is now back in the van and running good, hopefully this combined with the manual altitude adjustment will keep it going long term. I have a lot of traveling coming up for comps and some working events, I need this working.
Iridewheelies, I hope you don't mind me putting this in your build thread. We have both been working to get these heaters working properly and discussing it here, I figured this is the logical place to put it.
Also for info on how to tear it down Webasto has a video showing the whole process here:
http://www.techwebasto.com/media-gallery/91-burner-assy.html?category_id=19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
So do you think it was just unable to adjust itself correctly for the altitude, got carbon buildup and even once you fixed the altitude issue it still worked poorly because of the combustion chamber? Hope it works out for you!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
So do you think it was just unable to adjust itself correctly for the altitude, got carbon buildup and even once you fixed the altitude issue it still worked poorly because of the combustion chamber? Hope it works out for you!
That is what I am thinking right now. I ran it at pretty high elevations (6-9.5k) for a few weeks before having issues and making the altitude adjustment. Now that it is cleaned out and the adjustment has been made I am hoping it runs properly. If not I will have to clean it out again and find someone with a combustion meter to set the CO2 levels at altitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad