2015 GMC Canyon

moabian

Interesting top...looks good. If I would have seen them, I might have gone that route for temporary bed coverage rather than going with the hard tri-fold tonneau cover. It would have been cheaper too. I've been waiting for Snugtop to start producing their shells for the short bed Canyon. They just started producing two of their lower-end models in the last week or so and the Super Sport will be available to order around the end of December. My order for the Super Sport goes in as soon as they will accept it.

Installing the topper while the fabric is warm probably cannot be stressed enough. I've owned a couple of soft-top Jeeps, and the number one problem people have when installing a new top is trying to do it without letting the fabric warm up. That also applies to when you simply lower the top. Trying to put it back up in colder temperatures can be difficult. I pulled into camp topless one afternoon high in the mountains above Ouray and it was well below freezing when I woke up. It took about 30 minutes with the impressive Jeep heater going full blast before I was able to latch the top in the morning.

I still haven't fully decided on whether or not I want to lift my '16 Canyon. The GMC dealer is installing the Readylift 1.25" Leveling Kit next week. I prefer to have them do it rather than start ripping apart a brand new vehicle myself. I'll see how that handles Moab's trails. I've been looking at the Icons for a few months, but I really don't want to have to start messing with other modifications just to accommodate the additional lift. Been there, done that...with a previous Jeep. I lifted it 4 inches and thought I might be done. It took a driveshaft replacement, adjustable upper control arms to fine tune the pinion angle, and an adjustable trackbar before it drove smoothly and vibration-free. Many of the kits I've looked at for the Canyon say this or that has to be cut or modified to accommodate the kit or larger tires.

I'll be interested to see your aluminum skid plate. Anything made of plastic can't really be called a skid plate.

deadly99

Explorer
Can you take a picture of the inside of the bed with it on?

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

lacucaracha

Just joined this forum to follow this build!

Super excited to see the bumper. Who is building it for you? I've been looking at the options from blue lake offroad, but apparently they kind of suck to deal with, and they source their bumpers from someone anyway- I can't recall who.

Edit: They get them from tactical armor group, but TAG's website only has rear bumper listed. I emailed Blue lake, and they said they'd probably have a bumper next year. Kinda like a cheap-o version of an ARB.

Scooter Scott

Observer
You are doing awesome man. I just picked up a 2016 Colorado Z71 CC 4x4 a few months ago. I love this truck...I also have a 2009 JKU that I have built pretty well. This Colorado is spoiling me with its ride and power.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
You are gonna crush that fancy chrome tailpipes if you are not careful of your departure angle....... better routed to behind a tire... just saying. mjmcdowell

lacucaracha

Any chance you could post a sketch of the bumper design? I'm curious to know what direction you're going with it. Is it tube style or bull bar style?

deadly99

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words. Truck currently sits looking like this

vvv.jpg

Exhaust is sold, taking it off this weekend.

Bumper...a local fellow is making it for me. Design....I have some sketches, etc that it will resemble. Given we will be designing on the fly I can't say 100% what the end product will look like but this is what I am hoping the end result looks like

IMG_4073.jpg

lacucaracha

Nice, that will look awesome! It seems like the Canyon/Colorado has slightly more handsome suspension components when exposed compared to the Tacoma, which is encouraging when designing the bumper to front axle carrier transition.

deadly99

Explorer
Skid Plate mounted. Sorry for the crappy cell photos

22.jpg

222.jpg

2222.jpg

Likely the last time the truck will be this clean as winter/snow started with a bang last night and will be around for the next couple of months. On the plus side...driving to work was nothing short of awesome...truck handles very well in the deep snow. I have had several trucks/suv's/Jeeps/ etc over the years and this one (with the Duratracs on it) is hands down the best I have owned. Stoked on that as 25% of the time our roads are in winter conditions.

33.jpg

333.jpg

3333.jpg

mizeide

Michael - Owner Wanderlust Overland
Your truck is looking great! Can't wait to see the front bumper. I just used my front tow hoops this weekend, wow they are small and a pain to use the way everything is tucked in there, I'm thinking some soft shackles are in order for these trucks. Also, had to install mud flaps. Have you noticed issues with your tires throwing mud/snow/crap up in the door handles? Had a pretty good rain here a bit ago and it completely packed my handles full of mud and had to scrape the mud off to open the gas door.

deadly99

Explorer
Your truck is looking great! Can't wait to see the front bumper. I just used my front tow hoops this weekend, wow they are small and a pain to use the way everything is tucked in there, I'm thinking some soft shackles are in order for these trucks. Also, had to install mud flaps. Have you noticed issues with your tires throwing mud/snow/crap up in the door handles? Had a pretty good rain here a bit ago and it completely packed my handles full of mud and had to scrape the mud off to open the gas door.

Yep. waiting for Bushwacker to release their flares for the Canyon...they said early this year. My paint is chipped to heck on the rear fenders...the wheels spacers didnt help any :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk