2015 JKU Storage Question

oc357

Good Morning,

I am a complete newbie to Jeeps. I am looking at a 2015 JKU Freedom Edition and had a few questions. I wanted to see if anyone here had already researched this. The JKU has the new under floor subwoofer, however I want to run some type of a drawer system. Coming from a full size truck I am used to carrying alot of stuff, but I still need room for my 2 year olds stuff.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a drawer system specific to this set up as the drawers could be wider due to not having the '14 and below subwoofer on the side but the system would have to be spaced off the floor or the subwoofer removed.

I just looked up the MAC and the ARB drawer system and they both look like good pieces.

Thanks

rubicon91

Explorer
Good Morning,

I am a complete newbie to Jeeps. I am looking at a 2015 JKU Freedom Edition and had a few questions. I wanted to see if anyone here had already researched this. The JKU has the new under floor subwoofer, however I want to run some type of a drawer system. Coming from a full size truck I am used to carrying alot of stuff, but I still need room for my 2 year olds stuff.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a drawer system specific to this set up as the drawers could be wider due to not having the '14 and below subwoofer on the side but the system would have to be spaced off the floor or the subwoofer removed.

I just looked up the MAC and the ARB drawer system and they both look like good pieces.

Thanks

I was just looking at a window sticker and some pics of a 15 Freedom Edition Unlimited online and it does not have the upgraded sound system with the subwoofer in it. Are you adding that to your build?

Maxcustody

Explorer
I think you will find this part does not really matter "as the drawers could be wider" I think most, if not all of the big companies to fit the drawer you will have to remove the sub anyway. The width is the same on 15's and the previous models of JK's. I am getting the stage 1 from Mario at AT and Main Line Overland, I have to remove the sub to make it work. As you stated your issue will be something off the ground so the sub is not covered...........Good luck.

LL247

Observer
The width is the same on 15's and the previous models of JK's.

The width isn't the same for the JK's equipped with the factory subwoofer (which I suspect is why they put it in the floor for '15 to widen the cargo area). I don't have a drawer system yet, but can say I've piled cargo in the back over the subwoofer and didn't notice a significant reduction in bass. Any drawer system that sits an inch or so above the floor should solve the problem though, with the exception of the bass being a tad quieter. Please remember my advice is based in absolutely nothing other than my personal experience, which is lacking compared to quite a few others on the forum here.

Maxcustody

Explorer
The width isn't the same for the JK's equipped with the factory subwoofer (which I suspect is why they put it in the floor for '15 to widen the cargo area). I don't have a drawer system yet, but can say I've piled cargo in the back over the subwoofer and didn't notice a significant reduction in bass. Any drawer system that sits an inch or so above the floor should solve the problem though, with the exception of the bass being a tad quieter. Please remember my advice is based in absolutely nothing other than my personal experience, which is lacking compared to quite a few others on the forum here.

I guess this came out wrong, after removal of the sub it is the same............

why not?

i fyou have the subwoofer that is in the floor just get an older subwoofer form an earlier JK already a plastic box and move it to the area between the role bar and the back seat or just behind the roll bar but in both situations on top of the fender?

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
ARB Drawers

I have a 2013 with a sub woofer. I recently installed the ARB JK drawers. Although the install was a pain, the drawers are awesome. I believe they make one for jeeps without a sub woofer or you could just install the modular drawers. Here's pictures of mine.
IMG_0903.jpgIMG_0904.jpgIMG_0905.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0909.jpg

kb7our

Explorer
I have a 2013 with a sub woofer. I recently installed the ARB JK drawers. Although the install was a pain, the drawers are awesome. I believe they make one for jeeps without a sub woofer or you could just install the modular drawers. Here's pictures of mine.
View attachment 269865View attachment 269862View attachment 269863View attachment 269864View attachment 269861

Looking very nice and functional. Could you summarize briefly what was involved to install? Any drilling, rivnuts, etc.? Thanks.

oc357

All thanks for the input, when referring to width many of the drawers I had seen were cut around the subwoofer and I was referring to the available width with the subwoofer not being on the side anymore. A few of you clarified this, thanks.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Looking very nice and functional. Could you summarize briefly what was involved to install? Any drilling, rivnuts, etc.? Thanks.

The drilling wasn't too bad although you do have to drill holes to attach the box. The instructions were incomplete and parts were missing. Once ARB clarified that the trim kit needed to be trimmed and the correct hardware arrived it wasn't that bad.

choosingtangent

ARB Drawers

Does the ARB unit come "tight" to the back of the rear seats? I was wondering if there would be enough room to mount my ARB twin compressor. It would essentially be between the back of the seats and the front of the cabinet.

choosingtangent

that is what I am leaning towards (under the hood)... I still am trying to find out how much room that there would be between the front of the drawers/box and the back of the rear seats

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Good Morning,

Thanks

I have been trying to find a solution for my '15 JKU as well with the Alpine subwoofer. The ARB single drawer system will not work with the subwoofer per my ARB rep and the tech department at ARB. The MAC system will also not work due to being mounted directly on top of the subwoofer and I'm not sure my Engel Mt45 will fit on top height wise anyway.

Here are some sketches I made of a plate I plan to fab up in the meantime out of marine grade plywood and aluminum sheet.
34E353F4-916E-48E4-9C99-809CE782AD5A_zpsic94h8ki.jpg

And to those who are unfamiliar with the '15+ subwoofer configuration.
B784653A-A13E-4C21-BBD5-CFB236C55EBB_zpslo4egc0x.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh