2016 Colorado Diesel

justcuz

Explorer
This will be my next truck. I've never been a fan of Cummins because they have such a narrow power band. I'll never own a Nissan. I guess I have to laugh at the snide comment about Isuzu motors, I don't get it, they are a really well-built motor that last forever. And square wheel wells is the reason some get another brand? wow, I guess some people just have to have the right wheel well even though it means they're out all stuck and broken in the wilderness.... thanks for the laugh guys.

And I'm not buying an import because I know American manufacturers build quality products and I would really rather my countrymen keep their jobs. It's not a dig on their product, it's a priority to help the people closest to me first.

I laugh too. Toyota can redesign the Tacoma with a blatant copy of the Colorado's fender openings and people don't say a damn thing about a Toyota looking clunky.
I think the diesel Colorado is going to be a successful product. Others have said the Toyota Tacoma outsells the Colorado 2.5 to 1 right now. It's easy to compare an established platform, with little to no competition, to a newer product, check back in a couple years. People need to remember Toyota and Nissan were gifted the midsize truck market, even at that Toyota Tacomas and Tundras combined don't sell over 250,000 trucks a year. Toyota is not a big player in the U.S. truck market and the domestics can snatch the midsize truck segment back anytime they want to invest in it.
The Toyota loyalists will buy them come hell or high water, other folks, given a choice to buy a domestic nameplate will buy it.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
This will be my next truck. I've never been a fan of Cummins because they have such a narrow power band. I'll never own a Nissan. I guess I have to laugh at the snide comment about Isuzu motors, I don't get it, they are a really well-built motor that last forever. And square wheel wells is the reason some get another brand? wow, I guess some people just have to have the right wheel well even though it means they're out all stuck and broken in the wilderness.... thanks for the laugh guys.

And I'm not buying an import because I know American manufacturers build quality products and I would really rather my countrymen keep their jobs. It's not a dig on their product, it's a priority to help the people closest to me first.

Did you know that the Nissan is built here in the US? Nissan just invested huge money in a new truck plant, they are not going anywhere. In fact, almost all "import" trucks are built in the US - some of the Nissans and Toyotas are more "American" by percentage of parts than some Fords, GMs, or Dodges.

Here is some info on tours of Nissan's North American production plants: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...releases/d8f8250f-55c6-4d46-8950-626fd16bed51

What the big deal with diesel? I have a Jetta TDI and it does get great MPG but when fuel prices go back up it hurts more also not every gas station carries diesel and diesel mechanics are top dollar plus the fuel stations located off the interstate charge more for using a card. Who carries cash anymore? The power from the engine is great for a workhorse vehicle but for Overlanding or daily driver? I guess can some one explain to me the benefits

In a word: Torque. The nature of diesel engines is that they have huge amounts of torque at low RPM, which makes them ideal for off road use. They also get good MPG numbers. Fuel might be expensive and you might have to hit the truck stops to buy diesel, but you can get more miles behind you on the same amount of fuel. If the diesel Colorado and the petrol models both have the same size tank, the diesel will get more miles before having to fill up. For overlanding, that means fewer fuel cans, which means less weight on the vehicle. Diesels used to be much less sophisticated and didn't rely on electronics for ignition or fuel delivery (now they need electronics to manage the fuel injection). This was an advantage because once you got a diesel running it just needed fuel and air and it would keep running. As long as you had a snorkel on your diesel, it didn't care if the alternator got doused with water or the electrics shorted out, it would just keep running.

We had an old W123 Mercedes and the fuel solenoid failed. This part is what clamped down on the fuel delivery, causing the engine to shut down. When it failed, you couldn't turn the car off with the key, you had to pop the hood and press a mechanical "STOP" lever to shut the motor off.

Last edited:

KK6POV

Adventurer
Does anyone think that its odd that Government Motor Company is the first one to offer the first small diesel pickup for sale in the US? Of course with the exception of the old VW Caddy and older 1 ton toyota hilux.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Does anyone think that its odd that Government Motor Company is the first one to offer the first small diesel pickup for sale in the US? Of course with the exception of the old VW Caddy and older 1 ton toyota hilux.

Not really. Keep in mind Toyota went gangbusters on the r&d and getting the Prius to market because they were scared GM would beat them to market with their EV-1.

colodak

Adventurer
Few thoughts, my semi is a push button automatic, most of our fleet of trucks are, ranging between 40K and 120K miles, no complaints at all, they are the way of the future.

As for the Colorado/Canyon, my problem, GM wants some ridiculous pricing, stopped at a local dealer the other day, they had a fully loaded 4dr, 4wd Colorado, all the bells and whistles, $40K, no incentives. Sitting next to it, full size, 4dr, 4wd, 1/2 ton Silverado, 2015 on closeout, moderately loaded, $43K, with a couple of incentives (including the finance offers GM is running), it was cheaper than the Colorado, and they were not budging on the price of the Colorado.

I notice that NAPA and a few other places are using Colorado's and Canyon's as their parts deliver vehicles, talked to the NAPA runner the other day, his gripe, the A/C sucked, all of the trucks have horrible A/C, they've all been in to the dealer for it, still the same problem. Also, two of the trucks have had the head gaskets replaced, one needed new heads at less than 3,000 miles.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer

Have you driven one? they're anything but a small truck. Size-wise (I drove a quad cab short bed), it is roughly the size of a full-size 73-87 Chev truck.
So what was your point?

KK6POV

Adventurer
Have you driven one? they're anything but a small truck. Size-wise (I drove a quad cab short bed), it is roughly the size of a full-size 73-87 Chev truck.
So what was your point?

I just feel that there is something behind the curtain with the EPA making it so difficult to get a diesel into the USA. Are the Oil Companies paying them? Are the big 3 paying them? Just a thought.

fike

Adventurer
The thing that always irritates me about most domestic pickups is that they have really unsophisticated four wheel drive systems. Compare a grand cherokee or Land Rover with their variety of different AWD and 4WD capabilities to the plain old part time systems on most pickups. Pickups are only engineered for two things: heavy hauling and getting up a slippery boat ramp. Otherwise pickups are woeful 4x4s.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
The thing that always irritates me about most domestic pickups is that they have really unsophisticated four wheel drive systems. Compare a grand cherokee or Land Rover with their variety of different AWD and 4WD capabilities to the plain old part time systems on most pickups. Pickups are only engineered for two things: heavy hauling and getting up a slippery boat ramp. Otherwise pickups are woeful 4x4s.
Unsophisticated? Maybe... Woeful? I don't know about that. Powerwagon seems to do pretty well offroad.

cationmoted

Observer

The "unsophisticated four wheel drive systems" that you mention have been used in toyota landcruisers and Nissan patrols across the world since day one of their existence. Not every one needs a computer controlled full time 4wd or electrical nannies to drive for them. In this day and age most seasoned "overlanders" would argue that a vehicle with a part time transfer case and nothing more is a rarity. I guess you could argue that sophisticated gear heads prefer an unsophisticated four wheel drive system.
Also domestic pickups, particularly the 3/4 ton and up are built on the same principals as the land cruisers, defenders, patrols and g wagons everyone loves. Diesel, body on chassis and solid axles. They are built for real world use and nothing more.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I made my Dodge's unsophisticated 4wd system even more primal with the addition of Dynatrac freespin hubs. I have another oddity called a transfercase shift lever on the floor.
That being said our next car will probably be a Subaru Forester if our Honda AWD pilot ever dies.

fike

Adventurer
...body on chassis and solid axles. They are built for real world use and nothing more.

I never really understood the fixation with solid axles and mechanical locking diffs. The good old humvee (and it is over 20 years old) IFS (I think rear isn't solid too). My very capable liberty IFS too. I won't buy a vehicle without an on-road all wheel drive system, so this means most pickups are unfortunately not up to my standards. We spend most of our time worrying about safety in the most extreme offroad conditions at the expense of safety on roads where we still spend 70% or more of our time. AWD enhances safety in those inclement conditions that call me to the wilderness. Part time 4wd is nearly useless in those conditions.

cationmoted

Observer
I never really understood the fixation with solid axles and mechanical locking diffs. The good old humvee (and it is over 20 years old) IFS (I think rear isn't solid too). My very capable liberty IFS too. I won't buy a vehicle without an on-road all wheel drive system, so this means most pickups are unfortunately not up to my standards. We spend most of our time worrying about safety in the most extreme offroad conditions at the expense of safety on roads where we still spend 70% or more of our time. AWD enhances safety in those inclement conditions that call me to the wilderness. Part time 4wd is nearly useless in those conditions.

Unfortunately the IFS on vehicles today cannot be compared to the military IFS/IRS on the Humvee (also without mechanical locking diffs the Humvee would be rubbish in terms of capability as it has very limited wheel travel). In short they are two different standards of engineering for different standards of use. There are also many threads regarding the benefits of straight axles.
In my experience, if inclement weather is severe enough to cause me to want AWD. I would have no problem slowing down and shifting into 4hi. But at the end of the day we are different people with different driving styles. Yes AWD and electrics have their place, but they seem to lower driver involvement and over complicate vehicle drivetrains, the opposite of what an "overlander" might need.
Perhaps a fulltime mechanical transfercase could change your opinion on the colorado? With the slow extinction of 4x4's in the US I'm just glad we have new a truck with transfercase and a diesel (and rear disk brakes).

Last edited:

RoyJ

Adventurer

Part of the reason is there're are VERY few capable IFS/IRS vehicles, that's built sturdy and performs well off road.

The Land Rovers are the only ones I can think of - highly advanced traction control system and simulated articulation. But even then their lower control arms are overburdened by their near 6000 lbs curb weight, and need replacement every 100k or so.

Other than that there's the Ford Exporer (06 - 10) and Expedition, both very tough with good payload. They have a less sophisticated traction control, but still works well. Where they do suffer, compared to the LRs, is suspension travel / articulation. The Exporer has 4" (not typo!) of travel up front! I run mine with sways permanently removed to gain some articulation.

What else is out there?

If a new HMMWV can be bought at a reasonable price, I'd do so in a heart beat...

TwinStick

Explorer
Our 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G-56, is the best truck i have ever owned or driven in my 52 years on this planet. Even though i had to totally rebuild the front end @ 18k. Been driving pickups since i was 14 on the farm.

Hemi
Manual 6-speed transmission w/6.3:1 first gear
manual shift 2-speed transfer case
Rear locker
Front locker
Solid axles
4:56 gears in the axles
4 doors
78:1 Crawl ratio

What is NOT to like about that ???

Well, except for mpg !!! LOL 8-10, thats it. Totally empty or towing 10,500 lbs on the flats, it is still 8-10. or less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk