2016 Lift-able Van MPG

PHeller

Adventurer
Anybody know what MPG the new vans are getting from Mercedes and Ford?

The Metris seems like it can be lifted via Terranger, despite being RWD, and I've seen reports as high as 28mpg highway.

The Sprinter 4x4 is a winner, and I think they are getting mid-20s on the slab as well.

Haven't heard much about the Transit, but it is cool that they aren't diesel and are still pulling good fuel efficiency numbers. I've seen these with proper off-road setups.

Lastly, the Canyon and Colorado seem like good bets if you can live in a slide-out or camper shell, and the I think the Dodge ProMaster City can be lifted ala parts from the Fiat Doblo Adventure (but that doesn't make much better offroad).

I'm still hoping that we'll see something akin to a AWD Transit Connect, but the platforms most of the "city vans" are based on aren't AWD, so I'll probably be waiting for awhile.

Subaru just needs to build a boxy small minivan!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sprinter 4x4s with the high roof are not likely to break into the 20s except in ideal conditions. With any reasonable sized load and AT/winter tires you can expect 14-18mpg depending on vehicle configuration, terrain, and driving type.

The 2WD sprinters with the I4 and 7 speed transmission will regularly get in the low to mid 20s, even with a load.

sierrasclimber

Well you do know a Toyota Sienna AWD is bigger inside (8 ft bed space) and has better ground clearance than a Transit Connect.

I agree from the research I did 4x4 Sprinters are not getting in the mid 20's. Our AWD Sienna gets around 19-20 mpg with cruise set at 87 mph. Sprinter can't even go that fast to pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL