2016 Tacoma vs 2016 4Runner?

Dalko43

Explorer
I am talking about the Expo World...all vehicles...40K gets you in the door but then tires, suspension, interior mods yes there are a lot of vehicles on this site that are north of 40K....have you looked at used prices for your recommendation of pre 2016 Tacoma that does not have a rusted frame? Add a supercharger and money starts to add up.

My point was that $40k for a brand new mid-sized pickup is a lot, considering what you can get for that $ amount. I wasn't factoring in mods which is a whole other topic.

Clutch

<---Pass
My point was that $40k for a brand new mid-sized pickup is a lot, considering what you can get for that $ amount. I wasn't factoring in mods which is a whole other topic.

Don't have to spend $40K

You can get a SR base model 2016 Tacoma 4WD for $25K, what is a base 4Runner going for these days $32K?...no need to spend $40K....(speaking of mods) leave that SOB stock too. Maybe a little more aggressive tire, maybe... Done. Go explore.

Don't get caught up in mods, horsepower/torque numbers, mpgs, or a bunch of option fluff that you really don't need...

...just get out there.

Last edited:

Pound_Sand

I debated between these two as well. Actually, I waited almost a year for the new 16 Tacoma to come out. I was positive that I wanted a double cab off road with tech and premium package. After driving it, assessing my true need for an open bed, and the increased price of almost $40,000, I decided to go with the 4Runner for just a tad more dough. Wife preferred the SUV, as well. Both are great and highly capable vehicles, though.

ToyoTaco16

Who's spending $40k on a new Tacoma? My 16' TRD OR access cab was 33,500, no premium/tech package.

If you're stuck between the two, it basically comes down to if you're gonna use the bed on the truck or not. I like it because I can throw a top on and use it for camping, and putting my kayaks in the back.

With the 4Runner just need some roof racks, and a RTT set up and you're good. 4Runner may run you a bit more in price. But you get a nicer cab.

Consider what you'll need/want in your vehicle. Either way you'll be happy, both are great platforms for overlanding :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Clymber

Adventurer
they both have their plus and minus
the 4runner is all enclosed so nothing will get all that dirty/dusty/wet etc
can store lot more stuff in the bed of the pickup and use it to haul stuff if there is no cap on it
depending if you get a RTT you can get it to sit low enough on the PU so its not a brick being hit by the wind while driving
accessories i think is a wash with both of them
4runner will have more luxury things i think will cost more overall
can always sleep in the runner if weather is total crap and dont want to get out
the front end on both is pretty sexy if you ask me
MPG may be a wash not sure

im sure there are more but thats all i can think of right now

Dalko43

Explorer
Don't have to spend $40K

You can get a SR base model 2016 Tacoma 4WD for $25K, what is a base 4Runner going for these days $32K?...no need to spend $40K....(speaking of mods) leave that SOB stock too. Maybe a little more aggressive tire, maybe... Done. Go explore.

Don't get caught up in mods, horsepower/torque numbers, mpgs, or a bunch of option fluff that you really don't need...

...just get out there.

Little bit misleading there...If we're going to try to compare the 4runner and Tacoma on even footing, as much as possible, then you should compare the prices of a a base SR5 4runner to that of a Double Cab, V6 Tacoma; that will put the engine and seating configurations on relatively equal footing.

4runner SR5: ~$33k-$35k
Tacoma SR Double Cab w/ V6: ~$29k-$32k

TheSkeeter

My beginner's opinion...

I don't have a Tacoma but I do have a gen 1 Tundra with a shell and a 2014 4Runner. If I was going to build something it would be the truck. I like the 4Runner but for me it's not nearly as good for trips where the weather may get nasty. I always end up with wet or muddy gear. Packing and unpacking are terrible because everything has to be just right for it to fit. Like someone else said, if I have to get out in a hurry, I'll throw it in the truck and get gone and clean it later... without the inside being wet or stinking.

Keep in mind, I don't get as involved as most on here as we just do simple camping and trips right now.

Clutch

<---Pass
Little bit misleading there...If we're going to try to compare the 4runner and Tacoma on even footing, as much as possible, then you should compare the prices of a a base SR5 4runner to that of a Double Cab, V6 Tacoma; that will put the engine and seating configurations on relatively equal footing.

4runner SR5: ~$33k-$35k
Tacoma SR Double Cab w/ V6: ~$29k-$32k

Miss leading? Not really. OP asked what vehicle and why.

Base Tacoma ACLB would be my choice, for several reasons... cheap, basic, cheap...save your money, the less you spend on vehicle...the more you can spend on traveling.

benji5280

see this thread

The dieimma of purchasing a new Toyota

I just did this from start to finish. If you have a wife or a long suffering girl friend you will get a 4 runner. If you have a dog you should get a 4 runner. Dogs love that back window in the 4 runner and so will your wife/gf. The dogs no longer stick their heads over your shoulder. Very cool.

TheSkeeter

I have a wife and a dog and still pick the truck over the 4Runner. The wife/girlfriend will love you more if the wet and smelly dog is in the back of the truck than in the back of the 4Runner. I know this first hand. Wet dog smell isn't the easiest thing to get out of a 4Runner... again, first hand knowledge.

p nut

butter
I have a wife and a dog and still pick the truck over the 4Runner. The wife/girlfriend will love you more if the wet and smelly dog is in the back of the truck than in the back of the 4Runner. I know this first hand. Wet dog smell isn't the easiest thing to get out of a 4Runner... again, first hand knowledge.

Yep, same for me. Unless you're talking about Sasha the lap dog.

Vandy

Adventurer
I'd go with the Tacoma. I've got a '14 trail 4runner and love it. The few times she has let me get it away from her. The multi terrain and crawl control coupled with the KDSS system are awesome. For a day trip exploring I'd pick it.

That said, I've got a '16 tacoma trd or I just picked up. With less than 500 miles, I'm not sure how she will do in the dirt. But the reviews are promising. The taco rides better and gets better mpg (the runner is lifted with massive 305 mud tires though). If I was to choose one for a camping /overland TRIP, I'd take Tha tacoma and put a hard shell on the back. Even with the weather tech mats in the runner, it's going to be nasty inside if you get into any rain. Put a dog in the mix and I'd spend too much time cleaning when I got back. Now I did see an H2 that had the whole rear cargo area rhino lined. That might be pretty cool.

Be aware on the tacoma, that composite bed is SLIPPERY. I took my rotwiller/mastiff mix for a ride today. Just in town he was sliding everywhere. I may put some grip tape back there.

Either way I think you will be happy. They are both capable trucks. The runners back seat has a lot more room. But the bed wins it for me in dirty/offroad situations

brushogger

Explorer

Especially if your dog loves to roll in any dead cow or unburied gut pile he can find. I'll never understand how a creature with that sensitive of a nose can do that.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Saw this thread and is perfect timing for my dilemma. I currently have a '13 T4R Trail and looking to update. I love my 4Runner especially the way I have it kitted. Was interested in replacing with its pick up variant brother....so, I looked at a '16 Tacoma yesterday. After 5 minutes was done. I think the build quality alone is reason enough to get the 4Runner. A bed would be great and it's simply the only thing the Tacoma has going for it. The back seat in the double cab gives half the leg room of the Runner. I don't mean to knock the Tacoma...just wasn't impressed with build quality. The headrest poles are straws for crying out load. Watched the salesman fumble around with the backseats for about 15 minutes. I look forward to seeing the 5,000 build threads on the new tacos, too. ************ looking.

'16 Trail. $36k
'16 DC 4x4 TRDOR. $42k

Should be picking up my white Trail tomorrow and will begin transferring kit this weekend.

Test drive and decide. Can't really go wrong. Both incredible.

I don't have a dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad