2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

p nut

butter
A neighbor just brought home a new Raptor. He said it was either the Tesla or the raptor i.e. His cash budget due to sold stock shares. He got the Raptor. It's almost a 100k truck with tax in our state.

So a baby stock desert runner zr2 seems pretty damn cheap in the 40-45k range.

I don't see the ZR2 as a desert runner. More baby power wagon, rock crawler. Comes with triple lockers, rock sliders, which all seems to be geared to rock crawling than desert runner, to me. And you can get that in a Power Wagon for a similar price (or cheaper in the stripped down Tradesman).

Redman333

Adventurer
I don't see the ZR2 as a desert runner. More baby power wagon, rock crawler. Comes with triple lockers, rock sliders, which all seems to be geared to rock crawling than desert runner, to me. And you can get that in a Power Wagon for a similar price (or cheaper in the stripped down Tradesman).
That's how a lot of the magazine's and truck review site are comparing it. They are saying it's a mini raptor. Which I agree with you it's more of a rock crawler type rig but those shocks are the big they tote about which to me at least are more pre runner style shocks. I guess maybe it's a jack of all trades type rig. It could be a decent pre runner and good rock crawler and daily driver.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Doesn't have the articulation or ground clearance for crawling on rocks. That fuel tank would be a pasta strainer in no time.

Redman333

Adventurer
Doesn't have the articulation or ground clearance for crawling on rocks. That fuel tank would be a pasta strainer in no time.

Did you see my pic I posted of my LX470 on 35s right next to it. It has plenty of clearance for mild rock crawling. It had as much clearance as my Lexus and in some areas more. Guess it depends on your definition of rock crawling. Plus no vehicle from the factory has a ton of ground clearance. Even the Rubicon Jeep needs to be lifted that's where after market comes in. Most rock crawlers add lockers though and that's usually a fairly large expense so it's nice in this case. Not sure about a pre runner though do those add lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
That's how a lot of the magazine's and truck review site are comparing it. They are saying it's a mini raptor. Which I agree with you it's more of a rock crawler type rig but those shocks are the big they tote about which to me at least are more pre runner style shocks. I guess maybe it's a jack of all trades type rig. It could be a decent pre runner and good rock crawler and daily driver.

Especially considering it comes with a diesel....don't know many desert runners with a diesel engine.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's a nice trail ride, but it certainly isn't "Rock Crawling".
The issue is, people have watered down the term. They see a couple of rocks and think it's rock crawling.

Here are a couple of better examples more in line with rock crawling, that would damage a ZR2. Neither of these are extreme "rock crawling", but definitely on the more technical end of a rocky "trail ride". :)
I've been over both in the JKU, and have some rock gashes underneath to show for the fun.

Dusy Ershim a beautiful trail with some rock sections that can batter the bottom of a lifted Jeep.

Fordyce is a really fun trail, but it too can be brutal. I like this trail more than the Rubicon for the fun of "wheeling".

zcarczar

It will rock crawl, I picked one up a couple weeks ago. We ran Cleghorn in So Cal on Sunday and did a few of the off shoots we probably shouldn't have been on but it did great. Only tweaked one of the sliders a bit and scraped the rear bumper plastic a tiny bit dropping off some ledges. I'm pretty happy with it and its A LOT more comfortable to drive than my JKU long armed on 37's.

https://youtu.be/8otC81VMbUQ

b9ev

Adventurer
I agree with you that the first video posted was a nice trail ride. I believe that they were being driven by a bunch of journalists that may or may not have been off road before. I think almost any stock 4wd vehicle could easily drive that.

The videos you posted are of modified vehicles. Lift the ZR2 and it will be able to do something more along those lines.

That's a nice trail ride, but it certainly isn't "Rock Crawling".
The issue is, people have watered down the term. They see a couple of rocks and think it's rock crawling.

Here are a couple of better examples more in line with rock crawling, that would damage a ZR2. Neither of these are extreme "rock crawling", but definitely on the more technical end of a rocky "trail ride". :)
I've been over both in the JKU, and have some rock gashes underneath to show for the fun.

Dusy Ershim a beautiful trail with some rock sections that can batter the bottom of a lifted Jeep.

Fordyce is a really fun trail, but it too can be brutal. I like this trail more than the Rubicon for the fun of "wheeling".

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It will rock crawl, I picked one up a couple weeks ago. We ran Cleghorn in So Cal on Sunday and did a few of the off shoots we probably shouldn't have been on but it did great. Only tweaked one of the sliders a bit and scraped the rear bumper plastic a tiny bit dropping off some ledges. I'm pretty happy with it and its A LOT more comfortable to drive than my JKU long armed on 37's.

I was more interested in the Z around Laguna Seca, that looks like fun.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Bottom line, this truck rocks!

Cleghorn is a rutted up, nasty fun dirt trail with some rocks thrown in. But I wouldn't consider it Rock Crawling.
Holcomb Creek trail would be a better example. It's on the high end of intermediate level, but a fun challenge.
Haven't seen what it looks like this year, or even if there is access yet. But it's got to be getting close. :)
Run Holcomb, and you've got a rig worthy of being called Rock Crawler Rated. :beer:
I think it is definitely doable on 33" tires with a lift, and protection. I've done it in a stock JK Rubicon with just some gashes in the undercarriage (from lack of focus on my part).

I agree with you that the first video posted was a nice trail ride. I believe that they were being driven by a bunch of journalists that may or may not have been off road before. I think almost any stock 4wd vehicle could easily drive that.

The videos you posted are of modified vehicles. Lift the ZR2 and it will be able to do something more along those lines.

Agreed! :beer:
Add a lift, tires/wheels, armor for the undercarriage/shocks/body, and I think it could handle some trails that would impress the heck out of a lot of Jeep drivers. Although trails like Fordyce would still require a nonchalant attitude towards damage, and some winching. But a trail like Holcomb could be done by an average driver without much drama.

You know, in all of this, the big picture is, this truck kicks butt! That GM would have the intestinal fortitude to bring this truck to market is freakin' awesome! I think it's great, no matter what it's called.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

The Raptor in stock form isn't either based on the 150mile run my buddy did in a built Raptor nothing stock but the engine, cab and trans. Every thing behind the cab was cut off and replaced with a built tube frame and about 3ft travel. The stock guys broke all sorts of stuff. The takeaway was it's a nice dirt road truck LOL not a desert racer. Though I bet the ZR2 is lighter and would actually do better than the stock Raptor regarding failures.

zcarczar

Cleghorn is a rutted up, nasty fun dirt trail with some rocks thrown in. But I wouldn't consider it Rock Crawling.
Holcomb Creek trail would be a better example. It's on the high end of intermediate level, but a fun challenge.
Haven't seen what it looks like this year, or even if there is access yet. But it's got to be getting close. :)
Run Holcomb, and you've got a rig worthy of being called Rock Crawler Rated. :beer:
I think it is definitely doable on 33" tires with a lift, and protection. I've done it in a stock JK Rubicon with just some gashes in the undercarriage (from lack of focus on my part).

Agreed! :beer:
Add a lift, tires/wheels, armor for the undercarriage/shocks/body, and I think it could handle some trails that would impress the heck out of a lot of Jeep drivers. Although trails like Fordyce would still require a nonchalant attitude towards damage, and some winching. But a trail like Holcomb could be done by an average driver without much drama.

You know, in all of this, the big picture is, this truck kicks butt! That GM would have the intestinal fortitude to bring this truck to market is freakin' awesome! I think it's great, no matter what it's called.

I ran the hard side of John Bull Trail a couple weeks ago in my JKU, I'm planning on running the ZR2 up it. Rock crawling is more about tire placement and traction than anything, I've been wheeling the hammers for over 15 years in everything from a samurai on bald 31" tires to a KOH buggy on sticky compound 42's.

I'm pretty happy GM built this truck, and I hope it does well so they build a full size version. I know this truck won't do what my Ultra 4 car will, but if it does 90% of it I'm happy and so far I think it will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk