2017 F-150 build...Everyone meet Walter White

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Those look great man!

(Now ceramic coat them so they stay clean and shiny ;-) )

Do the whole truck

817.jpg

@SDDiver5 Those really are the best looking factory wheels Ford has EVER offered on F150 or Raptor.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Looking good! It’s amazing how a good set of wheels and tires can make you just love your truck.

Since I did mine, I find myself popping into the garage just to look at my truck!
Sooooo many pictures on my phone in only 24 hours haha

D

Deleted member 9101

Could not agree more!

Now if only Discount tire can get the balancing right... at 60-73 MPH the wobbles hit. I think its strange they cant balance a factory wheel and tire

Let it sit for a little while before driving away from their shop. The bead lube can cause the tire to slip on the rim if its still wet when you drive off.

Also, the F150 is pretty sensitive to tires being balanced...even being off slightly will cause a vibration.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Could not agree more!

Now if only Discount tire can get the balancing right... at 60-73 MPH the wobbles hit. I think its strange they cant balance a factory wheel and tire

Its the beauty ring. For whatever reason people think they cant get it right. I have real beadlocks and they're remarkably smooth.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Let it sit for a little while before driving away from their shop. The bead lube can cause the tire to slip on the rim if its still wet when you drive off.

Also, the F150 is pretty sensitive to tires being balanced...even being off slightly will cause a vibration.
They said to bring it back in the AM and they will redo it. They said the tire may have shifted, kind of like you're saying, so the heavy parts line up and are not opposite like they should be, or something like that. They said they will disassemble, shift the tire and redo the whole thing. Not happy with the outcome but fantastic customer service. I made an appointment at Off road warehouse next week for them to go over everything and double check everything and they said they can prob fix it. But I'm impatient and don't want to head to AB this weekend at 60 MPH.

Now, can anyone explain why this is happening? If I got heavy rims and larger tires I can understand why this would happen. These wheels and tires are factory so I don't understand. I guess the geometry of everything??

Here's the timeline. I put in the fox coilovers and had my normal wheels and tires for a few days, no shaking/wobbles. I went from my neighborhood and did a 50ish mile round trip on the freeway at speeds up to 85 with No wobbles... then I put these wheels and tires on and cant go over 65 without feeling like the truck is coming apart.

I cant seem to wrap my head around this.

D

Deleted member 9101

They said to bring it back in the AM and they will redo it. They said the tire may have shifted, kind of like you're saying, so the heavy parts line up and are not opposite like they should be, or something like that. They said they will disassemble, shift the tire and redo the whole thing. Not happy with the outcome but fantastic customer service. I made an appointment at Off road warehouse next week for them to go over everything and double check everything and they said they can prob fix it. But I'm impatient and don't want to head to AB this weekend at 60 MPH.

Now, can anyone explain why this is happening? If I got heavy rims and larger tires I can understand why this would happen. These wheels and tires are factory so I don't understand. I guess the geometry of everything??

Heavy off road tire = hard to rotate
You have lots of low end TQ = wants to rotate the tires regardless of resistance
Wet lube between the tire and rim = things slip when you drive off.

When they install the tires they put the heavy part of the tire opposite of the heavy part of the rim. Then they use weights to balance them. If your tire slips, then all of that is thrown out the window.

I have 33s and mine did the exact same thing. When Discount fixed it, they let the truck sit for 30 min in the parking lot instead of pulling it out of the bay and handing me the keys to drive off. It's perferctly smooth now, all they way to the end of the speedometer.

Like I said, the aluminium F150s are very sensitive to tires being even slightly out of balance. The heavier the tire, the less room for error. "Wheel slip" is pretty common, especailly if you have good traction and some power behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Heavy off road tire = hard to rotate
You have lots of low end TQ = wants to rotate the tires regardless of resistance
Wet lube between the tire and rim = things slip when you drive off.

When they install the tires they put the heavy part of the tire opposite of the heavy part of the rim. Then they use weights to balance them. If your tire slips, then all of that is thrown out the window.

I have 33s and mine did the exact same thing. When Discount fixed it, they let the truck sit for 30 min in the parking lot instead of pulling it out of the bay and handing me the keys to drive off. It's perferctly smooth now, all they way to the end of the speedometer.

Like I said, the aluminium F150s are very sensitive to tires being even slightly out of balance. The heavier the tire, the less room for error. "Wheel slip" is pretty common, especailly if you have good traction and some power behind it.
Thank you, I appreciate the explanation! Fingers crossed they can fix it! Come to think of it, I did drive off the lot within 5 mins of it being done so maybe that's what it is.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation! Fingers crossed they can fix it! Come to think of it, I did drive off the lot within 5 mins of it being done so maybe that's what it is.

You're so very welcome. I have no doubts that they'll fix it, it's actually pretty common. If you want to see it happen, when they give you back your truck mark the rim and tire. Check the mark every 1,000 miles. You might be surprised how far they'll move just from normal driving. I've had mine move a couple of inches before.

Years ago I had a Mustang that would have wheel slip every time I ran it down the track (it launched pretty hard). Usually I would run it on Saturday and then Monday the rear tires were getting rebalanced...haha.

ITTOG

Yes sir! A popular mod for these is "leveled on 33's but for the 2015-2020 (I think) you can go up to 35 and have clearance.
Cool. I did a level on my 2018 and was only able to get 285/75R17's to fit. I think that is 33.8". Good to know a 2" lift will fit the larger tires. Thanks.

Oh, one more thing. Did you have to use wheel spacers? I have raptor takeoffs as well and when I tried the 35's they would hit when turning. My backspacing may be different than your raptors though.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Cool. I did a level on my 2018 and was only able to get 285/75R17's to fit. I think that is 33.8". Good to know a 2" lift will fit the larger tires. Thanks.

Oh, one more thing. Did you have to use wheel spacers? I have raptor takeoffs as well and when I tried the 35's they would hit when turning. My backspacing may be different than your raptors though.
No Spacers...must be the backspacing. It clears all around. Taking it out this weekend to really test everything and see if/where it rubs but as far as right now everything clears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob