2017 Ford Raptor prices

TiFJ

Observer
Have to disagree there. To me, the Raptor style suspension would be fantastic for overlanding. Seems perfect for soaking up washboard while still being civil on the highway and capable offroad.

I've never driven my Raptor in the desert but it gets used to haul mountain bikes to the trail heads, drive to hiking trail heads, and carry the RTT and gear for camping. All done in a well appointed, super comfy and nice handling truck. I don't think I could build a comparable truck for what I paid for my brand new Raptor (invoice + $1k).

That said, I hope the Gen2 sees a substantial increase in price and help keep the value of Gen1s propped up a bit.

Last edited:

michael_l

Observer
Is that the quote you wanted etched on your tombstone? Lol if I was in the truck and someone wanted to do that, they would be letting me walk.

Well I also fly fighter jets for the military and drive an 85 911 on the weekend....so maybe it's just me?

Last edited:

michael_l

Observer
Not just you. The world is full of idiots.

That was out of line, especially considering I am currently deployed to the middle east. Here I thought we were having a discussion on the merits of a new truck.

Here's a sweet photo to get us back on track. White Raptor.jpg

Last edited:

OCD Overland

Explorer
a) Even though I expect that you were exaggerating, 90mph on a mining road, if even possible, is a stupid thing, done by idiots. Feel free to kill yourself any way you want, but there are other people & animals out there who'd rather not be taken with you.

b) The initial comment was dumb, but no big deal in my book. Shrugging off someone's criticism because, I don't know, you like to go fast or something, made it to me at least worthy of some snark. Kind of makes you sound flippantly irresponsible. But, accusing your critics of being 'out of line' because, what, you're a marine? Huh. Let's just establish that trying to use your job as a shield against criticism doesn't impress me.

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
a) Even though I expect that you were exaggerating, 90mph on a mining road, if even possible, is a stupid thing, done by idiots. Feel free to kill yourself any way you want, but there are other people & animals out there who'd rather not be taken with you.

90mph really isn't that crazy in the southwest, assuming you've got the suspension to support it. This is why the majority of us in the southwest run Amber "dust lights." You'll never know when a more capable truck is going to pass you out of nowhere while traveling 100+ mph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thethePete

Explorer

b) The initial comment was dumb, but no big deal in my book. Shrugging off someone's criticism because, I don't know, you like to go fast or something, made it to me at least worthy of some snark. Kind of makes you sound flippantly irresponsible. But, accusing your critics of being 'out of line' because, what, you're a marine? Huh. Let's just establish that trying to use your job as a shield against criticism doesn't impress me.

Everything about this is so far out of line it's unbelievable. There is nothing unreasonable about him wanting to do 90mph through the desert. Many people do it. It's an entire sport, if you can wrap your head around it.

The Ford Raptor was built to be a factory offered entry into that very sport. It is designed to be driven at high speeds down desert roads. That's the point. That's what it's for. If you think it's stupid, feel free to keep your opinion to yourself and move along to the next thread.

He's entitled to enjoy his hobbies as much as you are yours. I too, love to go fast. The idea that someone would enjoy sitting around for an entire weekend building a radio as a hobby is borderline painful to me, but I can appreciate that others may enjoy to spend their time thusly. I've built several cars specifically to go sideways, fast, down FSRs. I enjoyed them immensely.

Making personal attacks on someone's choice of entertainment, and moreso insulting their intelligence because of them is very uncalled for.

Back on topic, I'm going to go talk to my sales guys tomorrow and find out what I can get one for with employee pricing. I want one in a real bad way.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Sure, 100mph no sweat. Forget that Foutz' raptor has averaged around 40 on the BITD circuits during the segments when it hasn't been rattling itself apart. It's a good truck, which is why I'm buying one, but be realistic.

100 on a dry lake bed, sure. Old mining road? Smoke some for me, boys.

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Price aside, A raptor, who wouldn't want a raptor? ....However, I doubt that, you can't get loose articulation and tight street in one suspension... The spring rates would need to be different.

The fx4 will likely be much more street friendly/ tighter and more punishing off-road, the raptor will likely be sloppier/looser on the road and handle the off road like a champ.

D

I disagree. That is where shock valving comes into play. We have a raptor here at the shop with long travel suspension, coilovers and bypasses, we drive the thing on the road racing track like we stole it.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Is that a stock suspension?

Anything can be tuned, but you choose your mission. If you want to road race, tune for the road, if you want to jump dunes, tune for the dunes... No vehicle can optimize both... That is just not the nature of it.

I'm sorry but youre wrong. That is the entire purpose of a bypass shock, to be able to provide different valving profiles dependent on shaft velocity and position.

My example was used to evidence that spring rate is not directly related to the handling characteristics of the vehicle, it is a factor yes, but just because it has "soft" springs doesnt mean it will ride harshly. In fact, the springs are stiffer on an FX4, so its a moot point.

We have very close ties to fomoco and I currently have a 2017 raptor here for R&D.

a7db45dc2be3c96559eddfd4de6d8924.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Sure, 100mph no sweat. Forget that Foutz' raptor has averaged around 40 on the BITD circuits during the segments when it hasn't been rattling itself apart. It's a good truck, which is why I'm buying one, but be realistic.

100 on a dry lake bed, sure. Old mining road? Smoke some for me, boys.

You mad bro?

You-Mad-Bro-Meme-Sherman-05.jpg

OCD Overland

Explorer
I disagree. That is where shock valving comes into play. We have a raptor here at the shop with long travel suspension, coilovers and bypasses, we drive the thing on the road racing track like we stole it.
So out of curiosity - if you brake really hard, does the truck not blow through the firmer section of the valving and suddenly nose dive?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
the valving is dependent on shock shaft speed and position. Not static at different sections of travel. So there is no "firmer part of the valving". Its all dynamic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven