2017 Ford Raptor prices

p nut

butter
On a trail with deep snow I suppose you want flotation to stay on top of it(I don't have much experience with this). With general on road driving just trying to get to work during blizzard conditions and on icy roads you don't want flotation, you want the most ground pressure you can get hence the sandbags in the truck bed trick.

I understand that, hence my last sentence. But to call a 5k lb vehicle having "no weight"....seems extreme, even relatively speaking to older models. Perhaps time for better tires?

thethePete

Explorer
I'm arguing?

Wasn't there a thread here a few days ago about your sensitivity level? Really? What is with you people feeling a need to drag petty crap from thread to thread? Are you 7? Did I do something to deeply and personally affront your very existence? Moreso, it was about the fact that threads get shut down before they get the chance to resolve themselves, one user in particular chose to personally and directly drag me into it.

"Argument" continued: you'll note that the deflection rate for all the springs are very similar, so perhaps a small difference is significant.

And while we're "arguing", let me add this about road racing shocks - they usually are bypass, though they don't use that terminology. Very stiff shocks that also have to ride curbs are really no different in principle to offroad shocks though obviously the amount of travel is much different.

ar·gu·men·ta·tive
ˌärɡyəˈmen(t)ədiv/
adjective
adjective: argumentative

given to expressing divergent or opposite views.
"an argumentative child"
synonyms: quarrelsome, disputatious, captious, contrary, cantankerous, contentious

Perhaps "contrary" would have been more appropriate? This has nothing to do with my "sensitivity" level, and I'm not particularly upset, I was being genuine. You've contridicted almost everyone on here who's made a statement about this truck, all while claiming to want it so bad as to be buying one personally. That's fairly "argumentative" if you ask me. Just like someone who is "agreeable" doesn't necessarily have to "agree" with everything to fit the definition. Is english your second language? Or is the OCD part of something more aspergers-y? I have a good friend who's on the spectrum and he has a hard time relating to people too.

No. That small a difference in spring deflection on a non-progressive pack is almost irrelevant. The difference is in the shocks they use. One of the rear shocks on a Raptor is worth more than all 4 on an FX4. If we were talking about progressive leaf packs, that would be a different matter. They expect that people would want to rip around in their Raptor with an empty bed when playing, so they gave it a marginally softer spring to accomodate that.

I don't think you really understand what a bypass shock is or how it works. Have you ever seen a touring car hit a curb?

raptor_cm_bodybackbone_1.jpg

Pretty truck.

In other news, we're a Roush dealer, and not an SVT dealer, so no employee pricing for me. Should start seeing the 10-spd in the F150s soon though. I'll report back on what that feels like to drive when I do my first PDI.

Last edited:

OCD Overland

Explorer
Is english your second language? Or is the OCD part of something more aspergers-y? I have a good friend who's on the spectrum and he has a hard time relating to people too...
Wow. Just, wow. I add a piece of info to a part of the discussion that I wasn't even involved in prior to my post and instead of a 'thanks' you call me argumentative and then I get this. I think that friend of yours may your friend in the mirror. I'm going to guess your only one. I thought your first 'you're out of line!' post about a snark was a gross over reaction, but I didn't go there. But this? You seem to take every post and work overtime at finding the absolute worst way you can find to interpret it. If it were just me, then maybe it's me, but given what others have said openly about you, I'm clearly not the only one. You should take a break. Talk with someone. Serously.

thethePete

Explorer
Also, you'll note, that I expanded on your information, but all you chose to take out of that was what you did.

My problem is that I don't have patience for "internet experts". You're arguing with people who have a thorough understanding of the principles and operating characteristics of what we're talking about and attempting to knock down their arguments on semantics, minute details, and things that have little to do with the grand scheme of how it operates. Some of us have spent years becoming very competent and knowledgable about these things and it's more than frustrating when someone chooses to debate something they are out of their depth on and try to use banal trivia to "win the argument". You've also been involved in the conversation for a while now, and have been antagonistic towards me in other threads, so don't play the "I just got here" card.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I'm arguing?

Wasn't there a thread here a few days ago about your sensitivity level?

"Argument" continued: you'll note that the deflection rate for all the springs are very similar, so perhaps a small difference is significant.

And while we're "arguing", let me add this about road racing shocks - they usually are bypass, though they don't use that terminology. Very stiff shocks that also have to ride curbs are really no different in principle to offroad shocks though obviously the amount of travel is much different.
No, theyre not bypasses. They just have digressive valving. Completely different constructions and dyno plots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FordGuy1

Adventurer
No, theyre not bypasses. They just have digressive valving. Completely different constructions and dyno plots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not true, they are a real bypass, they just use an internal channel in a double wall tube to bypass internally instead of a external tube. They use internal bleed holes and refill hole that push
and pull the fluid thru the cavity between the outer in inner shock body.

OCD Overland

Explorer
That was my understanding as well, though I'm sure there are multiple designs. I suspect that the more expensive offroad shocks use external bypasses just because there's a lot more fluid to move.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Also, you'll note, that I expanded on your information, but all you chose to take out of that was what you did.
Look, apparently I don't even have to disagree with you in order for you to label me as being argumentative and then accuse me of having some mental disorder.

So yes, I'm going to ignore the rest of your post.

thethePete

Explorer
You seem to be missing the definition of argumentative, and your name is "OCD Overland", and I believe I've seen you make mention of your OCD tendencies. Glazing over the rest was just laziness on your behalf. This is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. If you have any other problems with me, feel free to PM me about it and stop cluttering up threads with your personal vendetta. I notice you're real quick to argue, and I haven't heard you once admit you were wrong or out of line, we just quietly move on....

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Not true, they are a real bypass, they just use an internal channel in a double wall tube to bypass internally instead of a external tube. They use internal bleed holes and refill hole that push
and pull the fluid thru the cavity between the outer in inner shock body.

That was my understanding as well, though I'm sure there are multiple designs. I suspect that the more expensive offroad shocks use external bypasses just because there's a lot more fluid to move.

Anybody got a link? The penskes i've taken out of stock cars to revalve at work have all been simple monotubes with internal floating pistons.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I don't think the Penske shocks use a double wall like FordGuy was talking about, but rather use bypass valves built into the reservoir. I think the Koni FSD uses bypass valves in the piston itself. I'll see if I can find a link to either.

edit -

here's a pdf for the penske - http://www.penskeshocks.com/assets/Adjustable Manual1.pdf

and a description of the koni - https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technology/FSD/

We're completely off topic but...koni FSD isnt used in their on-road race shocks. Just their application specific stuff.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I think if I do end up getting one I'll wait until the MY18, just so that any kinks or bugs get worked out and any potential upgrades be added. I'm not convinced at all that they will add a V8 option, especially if the V6TT sells like hotcakes. I'd just have a problem trading in mine, which I love, in for something different. However I have no problem saying it will probably be much better than the first gen Raptor.

Oh, and the Roush supercharger is kind of garbage. There are plenty better options, at least in my opinion, based on what I've been told by owners and data itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz