2017 Ridgeline

p nut

butter
Yeah, it's funny to see what people's perceptions are in what "needs" are in an overland vehicle. 35's and sliders to run dirt roads?? :D

1358945d1392578217-mercedes-benz-gla-class-mercedes-benz-gla-off-road-package-coming-summer-photo-gallery-1080p-2.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If it's a good seller it might prompt other manufacturers to come up with something similar. The car-based-pickup concept has been tried several times since the demise of the El Camino and Ranchero, with only limited success: The Dodge Rampage in the mid 80's, the VW pickup a couple of years later, into the early 90's I believe, and the Subaru Baja. All were dropped from the US market after dismal sales but it's worth noting that most of them were introduced at a time when compact "mini-trucks" (we'd call them "mid-sized trucks" now) were flourishing. Also all were introduced at a time when gas prices were low, which meant that their high MPG numbers were not much of a selling point.
Even though gas is priced low now, I don't expect that to last. I have to say I kind of like this more than the odd "Mini Avalanche" styling of the previous gen. This one looks like an actual pickup.
Still disappointed that they didn't include a disappearing mid-gate like the Avalanche, I always thought that was a brilliant solution to the cargo - vs - passengers problem with extended cab trucks (the problem, in a nutshell, is this: If you provide enough space for passengers, then you either end up with a too-short bed, or with a vehicle that has a too-long wheelbase. The Avalanche solved that problem by having an area that could be used for either one, just by removing the mid-gate and flipping the seats up.)
Of course, some might say "if the Avalanche was such a good idea why did Chevy drop it?" My understanding is that it was not due to poor sales, but because Chevy figured the same customers for the Avalanche would buy a 4 door Silverado instead. Since the Silverado has a simpler suspension (leafs vs. 4-link and coils) and does not have the single body with the disappearing mid-gate, it's cheaper to produce.
I think this is actually the direction that "compact" or "mid sized" pickups will eventually evolve towards. We might :rolleyes: at a car-based unibody "pickup" but for most users, especially those in urban/suburban areas, this is about all the "truck" they need.

CurtStyler

Observer
For me? Nope.
For my parents? Probably.

We have a 9 year old Honda Pilot that is about to hit 180,000 miles. We will probably have it a few more years, but then I could see my dad looking at the new Ridgeline. They don't need a truck for any reason, but it would be a bit different and he would have fun using it to move things here and there. It's a truck for car people, but there's nothing wrong with that. If it offers similar fuel economy to the Pilot, a comfortable ride and an easier way to move the lawn mower to and from storage or is easier to clean out when dirt spills, I think this will sell.

I like the idea of "rides like a car, but more utility than a crossover". I wouldn't buy one, but I know lots of suburbanites that would.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think this is actually the direction that "compact" or "mid sized" pickups will eventually evolve towards. We might :rolleyes: at a car-based unibody "pickup" but for most users, especially those in urban/suburban areas, this is about all the "truck" they need.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-honda-ridgeline-is-all-the-truck-a-normal-person-wi-1752299551

Still disappointed that they didn't include a disappearing mid-gate like the Avalanche, I always thought that was a brilliant solution to the cargo - vs - passengers problem with extended cab trucks (the problem, in a nutshell, is this: If you provide enough space for passengers, then you either end up with a too-short bed, or with a vehicle that has a too-long wheelbase. The Avalanche solved that problem by having an area that could be used for either one, just by removing the mid-gate and flipping the seats up.)

Maybe Toyota will bring the A-Bat concept to life.

112_0712_05z-toyota_a_BAT_concept_truck-passthrough_midgate.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
For me? Nope.
For my parents? Probably.

We have a 9 year old Honda Pilot that is about to hit 180,000 miles. We will probably have it a few more years, but then I could see my dad looking at the new Ridgeline. They don't need a truck for any reason, but it would be a bit different and he would have fun using it to move things here and there. It's a truck for car people, but there's nothing wrong with that. If it offers similar fuel economy to the Pilot, a comfortable ride and an easier way to move the lawn mower to and from storage or is easier to clean out when dirt spills, I think this will sell.

I like the idea of "rides like a car, but more utility than a crossover". I wouldn't buy one, but I know lots of suburbanites that would.

I can see it as my daily commuter, dirt bike hauler on the weekends. That is if it gets high 20's in the mpg department. The trunk and the rear seat storage would be great for gear bags and a cooler...all in a small fuel efficient package. As all I really need is a vehicle to get the toys to the trail head, don't really need a burly off-roader. Believe guys like me are Honda's target market, in the TFL video I posted, he kept on saying it will haul full size dirt bikes. ;) Though my favorite body configuration is a ACLB...I can grab a Tacoma SR utility package for $25K and get low 20 mpgs. Guessing the Ridgline is going to start at the $32K mark.

2009_honda_ridgeline4.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another interesting thing I noticed is that with the IRS, they've almost eliminated the intrusive fender wells in the pickup bed. Nicely done!
As far as the A-Bat and disappearing mid-gate, I think the problem with it is that it's the kind of thing that people don't think about until AFTER they get a vehicle. I also think Chevy did a poor job of educating consumers on what made the Avalanche different from other 4 door pickups. Finally I think the disappearing midgate idea would work better on a compact truck as opposed to a full sized truck, because it's compact truck buyers who are essentially using a truck the way they would use a car.

Clutch

<---Pass
Another interesting thing I noticed is that with the IRS, they've almost eliminated the intrusive fender wells in the pickup bed. Nicely done!

They stated a 4X8 sheet of plywood would fit between the wheel wells...not that many owners haul plywood...it is there if you needed it. Heck, I might haul plywood maybe once a year? Spring time is when we plant our veggie and flower gardens, I see it being great for that. We tend to grab my Tacoma over the SUV, since we don't want to screw up the interior of the SUV.

Dunno...I turn 44 this year *gasp*...the more I look at the Ridgeline, the more I think I am the target market. Ha ha!

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, it's funny to see what people's perceptions are in what "needs" are in an overland vehicle. 35's and sliders to run dirt roads?? :D

Ha ha! I know!

I was seriously impressed with my step-dad's Highlander, he is a real estate agent...we were heading out to one of his ranch property listings to film it, and you know how those ranch roads get....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

.....I was "like" WOW! this thing is pretty smooth, wish my Taco, with Camburg/OME setup was this smooth.... ha ha! ;)

p nut

butter
That is if it gets high 20's in the mpg department.

This is the key. I'd even go as far as to say low 30's. With diesels already in high 20's, and my new Ecoboost already getting close to mid-20's, at today's gas prices, it's too narrow of a gap.

Aside from that issue, I'd have no problems driving this thing around instead of my F150. I'm sure it will haul my most frequently hauled cargo (aka air) just as well as my truck. :snorkel:

Clutch

<---Pass
This is the key. I'd even go as far as to say low 30's. With diesels already in high 20's, and my new Ecoboost already getting close to mid-20's, at today's gas prices, it's too narrow of a gap.

Aside from that issue, I'd have no problems driving this thing around instead of my F150. I'm sure it will haul my most frequently hauled cargo (aka air) just as well as my truck. :snorkel:

30's would be even better. Like what I said earlier, based on the Pilot (according to fuelly average is 22, not good...imo) I see few are mid to high 20's. Think it depends on the driver.
I have been considering getting a Subaru Wagon for my daily, don't really want a wagon though. I would put the Ridgeline in the middle of a Suby and a Tacoma...might be a good compromise...if it gets decent fuel consumption.

Yep, both of our vehicles run empty most of the time. I sure do like those F150's...but over-kill for 98% of the stuff I do. They are priced right though, I see them in the low 30's with the 2.7 Ecoboost here.
What is the actual mileage are you getting...you said mid 20's...so 23-24?

I have been looking at Tacoma's both 4 and 6 cylinder. $25-33K
F150 2.7 with Ford's deep discount around $32-33K
Guessing the base AWD Ridgeline will be $32K (at that price, it would have to blow my socks off with stellar gas mileage)

p nut

butter
Yeah, I seriously thought about a Forester before buying the F150. But I like truck beds. If Sub had a slightly bigger Baja, I'd have thought hard about it.

I'm currently getting about 24mpg highway, and mixed driving is at 20-21mpg. 100% stock now. One thing I like about the F150 is the front bench seats. 6 people capacity, which comes in handy at times. Towing trailers is soooo much better than the Subaru as well.

Ridgeline makes a lot of sense though. Good mpg, usable truck bed, cool trunk in bed, comfortable ride (if it rides like a Pilot), Honda reliability, decent towing and 4wd.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
For those looking for something like the A-BAT, it looks like Hyundai just green-lit the similar Santa Cruz pick-up.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, I seriously thought about a Forester before buying the F150. But I like truck beds. If Sub had a slightly bigger Baja, I'd have thought hard about it.

I'm currently getting about 24mpg highway, and mixed driving is at 20-21mpg. 100% stock now. One thing I like about the F150 is the front bench seats. 6 people capacity, which comes in handy at times. Towing trailers is soooo much better than the Subaru as well.

Ridgeline makes a lot of sense though. Good mpg, usable truck bed, cool trunk in bed, comfortable ride (if it rides like a Pilot), Honda reliability, decent towing and 4wd.

24 hwy is great for a full size truck! I was looking a Foresters, IIRC the tow rating is only 1500 lbs. A bit too low to be a good all-a-rounder vehicle in my eyes. My moto trailer is 900 lbs alone, then I would have to sell it, and buy a lighter one...yadda yadda ya. We are planning of getting rid of the SUV, the new vehicle would have to haul people on occasion. The extra cab F150, has as much rear seat leg room as a Tacoma DC. And like you said the front bench is roomy too.

"If" the Ridgeline gets 27 hwy, not sure if that is enough in fuel savings for me....neat little truck, but the F150 might be the better buy though. My commute is 98% hwy, with the cruise set at 64.

For those looking for something like the A-BAT, it looks like Hyundai just green-lit the similar Santa Cruz pick-up.

That looks cool, but a little too small, don't think a dirt bike would fit in the bed for me, need a bit more versatility. Not even sure the Ridgeline would work, I like my 6' beds....still want to go take a look-see at them. Nice to have a bunch of options now, the market was getting stale.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I was actually surprised that the F150 super crew has more room than a Tundra Crewmax. My kids love the space. I also didn't know that the ext cab has more room than a Taco DC. If you don't haul people regularly, that'll be the way to go. One other thing that I love is the 36 gal gas tank. I'm at 240 miles and the tank's not even half empty!

I'm about to take a 500 mile trip this weekend into Wyoming, so I'll see what an extended highway MPG will be. I'll be happy if it stays at 24mpg. (I typically go 70-75MPH). I also just got a Bakflip tonneau cover, so maybe that will help as well. (or not, according to Mythbusters).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal