2019 Acela 4x4 with full expedition build - Sold

JT119

@varythings - Absolutely love this rig. Amazing job. My wife and I are interested. Couple initial questions for you:
  1. Can you give me the dimensions of the dinette/L-shape sitting area?
  2. How much weight can the L-track on the back exterior hold?
  3. I don't see the ARB freezer in the pictures. Is it accessible from inside the habitat?
Thanks!

varythings

@varythings - Absolutely love this rig. Amazing job. My wife and I are interested.
@JT119 Thanks for your interest.
@varythings
Can you give me the dimensions of the dinette/L-shape sitting area?

I've attached a sketch showing approximate dimensions. I don't have immediate access to the truck so these are pulled from the CAD drawings, as-built might differ slightly.
e9fc7d163fbb80abaf7801bd2d61beacd7aa6f5c-1.jpg

@varythings
How much weight can the L-track on the back exterior hold?

I can't say for sure what the maximum dynamic weight capacity would be. Because these are on a vertical plane the shear stress and moment stress would depend on the shape of the item being mounted. If you have something specific in mind let me know.
However, I can say that these should easily handle a few hundred pounds. Kayaks or sups, no problem. Even a large gear box could be mounted.

@varythings
I don't see the ARB freezer in the pictures. Is it accessible from inside the habitat?

The ARB freezer described on our website is not in the pictures. We have a 50 quart ARB fridge/freezer that we keep in the gear garage. Any size 12 volt overlanding-type fridge would also work.
The gear garage can be accessed from inside the habitat via the crawl-through door under the bed loft (This is the tilt-out cabinet door that has the trash mounted to the backside. It has quick release hinges and can be layed flat on the floor or removed to access the garage from the living space).

Last edited:

varythings

Wow, that's a lot of storage for gear and extras! Is there access to the main living area from the gear garage?
Yes, there is access between the gear garage and the living space. The tilt-out trash door can be used to access the garage. The cabinet door can either be opened flat onto the floor or quickly removed (quick release hinges) for access. It's crawl-through access, but can be quite handy to access food stores or other items during bad weather.

reync

I love your box and rig but envy the AC, cab seating, and hitch on the other LMTV listed. Do you think they could mate and birth me a super rig?

varythings

@reync Yeah!
AC...
Put an Ecoflow Wave in the gear garage and duct into living space. This habitat is so well insulated that this would be adequate cooling. No need for an RV-grade AC unit on the top that's just going to get ripped off or leak through the roof. If you want to be off-grid this is the best solution.
EcoFlow Wave Portable Air Conditioner | EcoFlow US

Cab Seats....
The Acela upgraded seats are not bad, they're air ride and fully adjustable (slide, height, recline and lumbar). There's a lot of aftermarket seats out there, some more comfortable than others. If I was going to upgrade the seats, I would find an OEM seat from a vehicle that I know is comfortable (eg, Mercedes, Lexus/Toyota, etc) and fit those. All things considered; this is a minimal cost.

Hitch....
What do you want to tow? There are easy bolt on solutions: LMTV/MTV 2" Drop Hitch Trailer Receiver (midwestmilitaryequipment.com)

IMO, if you really need to tow and don't want to handicap the vehicle you need the proper trailer like a M1082. This will match the track width, utilize the glad hands for braking, will go anywhere the truck can go, you'll be able to see it in the mirrors to reverse, and you're able to recover the truck and trailer while hitched from front or back if you get stuck. Unless you're willing to drop the trailer before going where this truck is meant to go, I just don't see the reason to pull a standard box trailer with this truck.

reync

Thanks you answered all my questions except the cab, but I guess I wasn’t clear. I love your cab seats…. I don’t love how many there are (or few). We are a family of two full plus a small.

On the AC option, is the gear garage ventilated to the outside or the habitat? Looking at the pictures I don’t see any penetrations to the outside but the website says it’s “ventilated”.

PS: regarding the hitch for $500 instead of the LMTV one I’d just get a 16” adjustable long drop from bulletproof and use your existing receiver. What I’d like to occasionally tow isn’t heavy and at 50lbs I could easily take it off whenever needed for clearance.

Last edited:

varythings

There is seating in the cab for 4 across, all with 3-point seat belts. We traveled as a family of 4, two adults two little ones (one in a carseat). Perhaps I'm not understanding what seat arrangements you're needing. (Although it's legal in some states, I would never drive with a human passenger in the habitat even if there was a restraint system back there).

The garage shares the same air space as the living space, (and has it's own heat duct). There is carefully thought-out fan-driven "ventilation" that maintains minimum airflows throughout every corner of the habitat. This ensures no dead air spaces where mold could grow and prevents condensation build up.
There are 3 fresh air exhausts for the habitat:
-At the galley with adjustable air flow, matched with a fresh air intake opposite the galley. This is the main source of fresh air exchange.
-In the bathroom, separately switched high volume exhaust fan to evacuate shower moisture.
-Inside the toilet, ducted, very low volume, to prevent odor.

The rear 2" hitch receiver that is integrated into the subframe is about 55" to 60" from the ground. Although it's stout enough to tow with, given its height it's primarily intended for hitch mounted accessories like bike racks.

Last edited:

reync

There is seating in the cab for 4 across, all with 3-point seat belts.

The garage shares the same air space as the living space, (and has it's own heat duct).

How embarrassing, I got your cab seating confused for the other one. My apologies!

Presumably the eco flow would require cutting an external vent port from the garage for the reject heat then no?

varythings

How embarrassing, I got your cab seating confused for the other one. My apologies!

:) No worries! I think answering questions on this public forum is helpful for everyone.

Presumably the eco flow would require cutting an external vent port from the garage for the reject heat then no?

Yes, you are correct. I would suggest a vent through the floor. There's a perfect spot for it next to the galley exhaust (which is also through the floor) accessible from the garage for duct routing, but essentially under the fridge so it won't interfere with garage storage space.

cheb

having another look at your rig.
by far the most cohesive looking and well thought-out rig/habitat I've seen....thank you in advance for answering questions.
how much do you use the CTIS? compared to on-board air, is it as great as it sounds?
outbound windows/doors look so nice (similar to what you'd find in the yacht world) - any issues with leaking? have they been worth the $$$?

varythings

@cheb Thanks for the comment!
The CTIS is invaluable in my opinion. We would regularly air-up and air-down. It is so easy to go from 80 psi highway pressure, pull off onto a dirt road to explore, press a button and be at 30 psi to absorb the washboard... And then press a button to be back at highway pressure. We did this mostly for off-road comfort. If we were out exploring and looking for camp we would often be on and off the pavement several times a day. If we had to get out and air down 4 tires and then get out and re-inflate we simply wouldn't have done it. But on demand air pressure to match the road condition is awesome.
Of course this is also a great advantage for traction, CTIS makes it practical to drop the pressure for maximum traction just to cross a sand patch or a water crossing and then air-up again without exiting the vehicle.

The Outbound windows and hatches and door are great. We've had previous rig (XP Camper/ Nimbl) with acrylic windows; these would easily scratch and had condensation issues, and really made it feel like an RV. In my opinion, real double-pane glass windows and quality doors make it feel like a real expedition worthy rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77