2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
They come in steel and aluminum, with these same sizes regardless of material. Mine is steel, which is fine by me as it was what was available 'locally' so no shipping ($$) and cheaper. And as it was just shy of being new, no worries about internal rust. Yup poly tanks are the wave of the future, even my 'old' 2002 F250 has a poly tank.
I am so far from my GVWRs (remaining: 6,100 on the Kodiak, 11,560 on the 1017), weight is not a concern. And I can't even argue that the 'extra' weight hurts the MPG, as drag is the killer on both those trucks.
Base on my F250 with the same V10 engine, your stock 40 is good, and with the extra 16 gallons, you will be golden.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
They come in steel and aluminum, with these same sizes regardless of material. Mine is steel, which is fine by me as it was what was available 'locally' so no shipping ($$) and cheaper. And as it was just shy of being new, no worries about internal rust. Yup poly tanks are the wave of the future, even my 'old' 2002 F250 has a poly tank.
I am so far from my GVWRs (remaining: 6,100 on the Kodiak, 11,560 on the 1017), weight is not a concern. And I can't even argue that the 'extra' weight hurts the MPG, as drag is the killer on both those trucks.
Base on my F250 with the same V10 engine, your stock 40 is good, and with the extra 16 gallons, you will be golden.

Good to hear on alum versions of these!

Copy on aero being more of an issue for you on both, vs mass.

Thx for your thoughts on total of 56gal of fuel for my F350.

Looking forward to following your Kodiak build.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
If you start off with a F850 as a base vehicle, every other post won’t have to be “but I’m trying to keep my weight down” related

?

Haha. I just cannot be as kewl as you with my dainty FWC cabin.

Know what a friend said about your RAM 55000?;
WTH is he going to do with a Ram 5500?
**After having Tundra/FWC/boxes, he's worried about maxing his payload with his custom composite cabin setup.
What, is he going to insulate the fridge with lead? The cabin should weigh a bit over half a ton and a Ram 3500 Hemi routinely has upwards of 5,000 pounds of payload. He needs two tons of systems, people and gear?
**I think he's aiming for like a 14' cabin, think GXV Turtle size.
Oh, okay. That makes more sense. As big a step up in cabin as chassis.

All hail the Mangler. ;)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
WTH is he going to do with a Ram 5500?
The Ram 5500 has 3.5 more sqft of headliner room than the F350, and based on simple math, that will allow me to display about 14 more overland patches that i acquire at rallys. At the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things, that's truly all that matters.

What, is he going to insulate the fridge with lead? The cabin should weigh a bit over half a ton and a Ram 3500 Hemi routinely has upwards of 5,000 pounds of payload. He needs two tons of systems, people and gear?

Your friend is not very good at math. I might venture to guess he/she owns a Tacoma? :p

**After having Tundra/FWC/boxes, he's worried about maxing his payload with his custom composite cabin setup.

My Tundra/FWC/Boxes, with 45 gallons of fuel, 20 gallons of water, and tools/gear was 10,300lbs on a certified Cat scale (and i pack lighter than most and travel solo)

**I think he's aiming for like a 14' cabin, think GXV Turtle size.

Probably closer to 12.5-13ish

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The Ram 5500 has 3.5 more sqft of headliner room than the F350, and based on simple math, that will allow me to display about 14 more overland patches that i acquire at rallys. At the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things, that's truly all that matters.

Your friend is not very good at math. I might venture to guess he/she owns a Tacoma? :p

My Tundra/FWC/Boxes, with 45 gallons of fuel, 20 gallons of water, and tools/gear was 10,300lbs on a certified Cat scale (and i pack lighter than most and travel solo)

Probably closer to 12.5-13ish

I am relieved you found the hidden patch real estate.

Burn to Taco owners! Are Tundra owners any better at math?

I hope to be under your 10.3k.

java

Expedition Leader
I am relieved you found the hidden patch real estate.

Burn to Taco owners! Are Tundra owners any better at math?

I hope to be under your 10.3k.
What's gvw on the CC?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Is it just a reflash of the ECU for the engines, or are there internal differences also?

I assume they do a simple reflash of the ECU. Don't think anyone anymore is de-soldering the stock chip from the board, installing a pair of risers, and using encrypters(sockets) with a re-programmed chip.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Google says 6300 curb, 10300 max gvw, sound right?

I started at 8500 curb..... Eeek

5882lbs curb, ~10,000lbs GVWR.

Why I went into this build wanting to keep my build lighter if I could, while also building a more "extreme duty" offroad camper (meaning, possible rear winch, etc).
If I was going with a 12-14' cabin, even composite, then it'd have been more challenging on an F350(my max cabin I was thinking was ~10'), and I would have gone F450 (gives 10lug as you know, ability to do the 20x10 Hutchinson beadlocks on a few different tires). Different kind of cool.

java

Expedition Leader
5882lbs curb, ~10,000lbs GVWR.

Why I went into this build wanting to keep my build lighter if I could, while also building a more "extreme duty" offroad camper (meaning, possible rear winch, etc).
If I was going with a 12-14' cabin, even composite, then it'd have been more challenging on an F350(my max cabin I was thinking was ~10'), and I would have gone F450 (gives 10lug as you know, ability to do the 20x10 Hutchinson beadlocks on a few different tires). Different kind of cool.
Cool, should be able to hit 10k end goal I think!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online