2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

Ninelitetrip

I've been a Joe-Haul customer/user for 20+ years.

The best in the business, located about 30 mins from me. Their "Cam-Lock" variant is the one you want and the cats meow! I had my old 1200GSA on the damn thing and it was rock solid.

Joe is a rad human and fellow racer, and always customizing stuff for folks. He could, and has, make high clearance ones and such.

Thanks for the feedback, I have an RT and really don’t want a trailer.

Darwin

Explorer
I didn't realize the gas cab and chassis is derated. It hasn't been a problem for me but I have a diesel cab and chassis, the power and torque seem fine to me, and I am coming from a tuned 12 valve cummins.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I didn't realize the gas cab and chassis is derated. It hasn't been a problem for me but I have a diesel cab and chassis, the power and torque seem fine to me, and I am coming from a tuned 12 valve cummins.

Yeah, both the gas and diesel cab and chassis are derated powerwise. (RAMs both are, unsure if Fords are)

The theory is, since they are being worked harder and longer they toned down the power to improve reliability. Unknown if true, but thats their claims

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Oh yeah. Detuned chassis cabs are nice peace of mind. Permanent built motor home things are better off this way.

NA gas engines are already detuned. I didn't notice any difference in power with the gas engines. And my diesel makes power when driven properly. It's when I flog it and bounce off the torque limiter, that it feels weak. It might get better if the ecm allows more power in a few thousand miles. Mine only has 3000 currently.

java

Expedition Leader
Ford detunes thier CC as well. I like the extra tune on mine

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Subscribed.

This build closely matches what I would like to do. 2020 F350 XLT DRW 7.3 gas, convert to SuperSingle, Carli suspension, Alum-Line bed, leaning towards an Artic Fox 865 though.

I considered the Chassis Cab but one drawback I felt is the engines are derated for commercial service.

If you like the instrument cluster from the Lariat package try this guy for a new bigger display cluster.

Am I missing it? Says F150 only, not F250+.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yeah, both the gas and diesel cab and chassis are derated powerwise. (RAMs both are, unsure if Fords are)

The theory is, since they are being worked harder and longer they toned down the power to improve reliability. Unknown if true, but thats their claims

I'm all for reliability. If you want a bit more pep in your step, contact 5 Star Tuning for an ECU reflash.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I don't know if you have solved your additional fuel storage dilemma yet, but I have the same factory tank set-up as you on my Kodiak, a 40 gallon, aft of the axle, between the rails tank. I need more fuel as my 8.1-liter gas engine goes through fuel like a B-17 with flak holes in its wings, so I bought a 60 gallon between the rail mid-ship tank.
The International 4000 series (mine is from a 4400) trucks have 'side' tanks that are between 45-80 gallons, depending on length. They are 26 inches wide (I have 27.4" between my rails), 16 inches deep, and the length varies by capacity. Mine is 37" so, right around 60 gallons (these are 'D' shaped tanks). I'm guessing that with your flatbed you might have around the same distance for depth (I could go up to 19" or so), so one of these tanks might work? Mine was 95% new and was $300 with the pick-up and gauge sending unit, but no straps. (Be advised some of those tanks have built-in steps, so avoid those for more capacity).
I am just going to transfer fuel from the 'added' mid-ship to the stock rear tank and leave the fuel supply system to the engine untouched. The Kodiaks had an optional mid-ship tank (small at 26 gallons), that auto resupplied the rear tank, so there are factory parts for that transfer system. That is probably not a system you would want to use, (inferior Chevy parts on a superior Ford), but easy enough to add your own system.
If that size tank might work for you, I got mine from Hagerman Inc, in Umatilla, OR. Talk to Bob, he is a great++ guy, plus he lives in your hometown and goes there on the weekends. So if you buy a tank, I'd bet you could bribe him with a bottle of spirits or so to deliver it to you.
As always YMMV

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I don't know if you have solved your additional fuel storage dilemma yet, but I have the same factory tank set-up as you on my Kodiak, a 40 gallon, aft of the axle, between the rails tank. I need more fuel as my 8.1-liter gas engine goes through fuel like a B-17 with flak holes in its wings, so I bought a 60 gallon between the rail mid-ship tank.
The International 4000 series (mine is from a 4400) trucks have 'side' tanks that are between 45-80 gallons, depending on length. They are 26 inches wide (I have 27.4" between my rails), 16 inches deep, and the length varies by capacity. Mine is 37" so, right around 60 gallons (these are 'D' shaped tanks). I'm guessing that with your flatbed you might have around the same distance for depth (I could go up to 19" or so), so one of these tanks might work? Mine was 95% new and was $300 with the pick-up and gauge sending unit, but no straps. (Be advised some of those tanks have built-in steps, so avoid those for more capacity).
I am just going to transfer fuel from the 'added' mid-ship to the stock rear tank and leave the fuel supply system to the engine untouched. The Kodiaks had an optional mid-ship tank (small at 26 gallons), that auto resupplied the rear tank, so there are factory parts for that transfer system. That is probably not a system you would want to use, (inferior Chevy parts on a superior Ford), but easy enough to add your own system.
If that size tank might work for you, I got mine from Hagerman Inc, in Umatilla, OR. Talk to Bob, he is a great++ guy, plus he lives in your hometown and goes there on the weekends. So if you buy a tank, I'd bet you could bribe him with a bottle of spirits or so to deliver it to you.
As always YMMV

Wonderful Mark, thank you!
Interesting these are called side tanks(so I picture saddle bag tanks, perhaps on out outboard side of each frame rail), yet it actually sits between the frame rails, aft of cab, as a mid-ship tank? Any pics of the tank and where it'll go on your badazz Kodiak?

For aux fuel, I have the holder for my 4 4gal Rotopax from my G-Wagen, and was thinking about placing it onto the flatbed porch when I need a 56gal fuel capacity(probably not so often).
I've been thinking about putting a poly aux water tank (with water pump, to re-fill the FWC since it only has 20gal of fresh water and 6gal for hot in the DSI system/exterior shower) between the frame rails, aft of cab--I still need to measure this area, see what size would fit(I wouldn't need to always fill it to the brim if not needed, just would be unnecessary weight). But our friend MH is quizzical why we need aux water or aux fuel in N. America, so I'm curious what "excuse" you've given him as mine aren't sufficing. :p

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Wonderful Mark, thank you!
Interesting these are called side tanks(so I picture saddle bag tanks, perhaps on out outboard side of each frame rail), yet it actually sits between the frame rails, aft of cab, as a mid-ship tank? Any pics of the tank and where it'll go on your badazz Kodiak?

For aux fuel, I have the holder for my 4 4gal Rotopax from my G-Wagen, and was thinking about placing it onto the flatbed porch when I need a 56gal fuel capacity(probably not so often).
I've been thinking about putting a poly aux water tank (with water pump, to re-fill the FWC since it only has 20gal of fresh water and 6gal for hot in the DSI system/exterior shower) between the frame rails, aft of cab--I still need to measure this area, see what size would fit(I wouldn't need to always fill it to the brim if not needed, just would be unnecessary weight). But our friend MH is quizzical why we need aux water or aux fuel in N. America, so I'm curious what "excuse" you've given him as mine aren't sufficing. :p
Yup in the factory location, they are outside of the frame rails and under the cab, so saddle or side tanks
Added-on steps
4440sidetank.jpg
Integral step
4440sidewstep.jpg

I'm just using mine in the 'wrong' location between the frame rails as it is the correct size to fill that location (most 'saddle tanks like on my F250 are small <30gals) and cheap.
I like between the rails for fuel (especially gas) as it is the safest location IMO.
Between the frame rails in the light blue area, (there will be full 36" (L) and 48" (R) sideboxes outside the frame rails between the cab and rear axle.
Kodiak-mid-shiptank.jpg

But our friend MH is quizzical why we need aux water or aux fuel in N. America, so I'm curious what "excuse" you've given him as mine aren't sufficing.
As we say in aviation, you can never have too much fuel, unless you are on fire. I get terrible mileage at high cruising speeds, so the stock tank does not last for a reasonable distance. Plus it is much better to 'tanker' cheaper fuel, (Oregon into California), and simple peace of mind of not worrying if a station is open, where the next one is, etc. Besides MH knows 'real' Overland vehicles must have a minimum of 1000 miles of unrefueled range. ?
My camper holds 70 gallons of water (inside under the front seat), so I guess I will be heard from MH about that 'excess capacity'?;)
I have to say, any extra weight on the big trucks (the 1017 & Kodiak) is a big help with the ride.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yup in the factory location, they are outside of the frame rails and under the cab, so saddle or side tanks
Added-on steps
View attachment 564779
Integral step
View attachment 564781

I'm just using mine in the 'wrong' location between the frame rails as it is the correct size to fill that location (most 'saddle tanks like on my F250 are small <30gals) and cheap.
I like between the rails for fuel (especially gas) as it is the safest location IMO.

But our friend MH is quizzical why we need aux water or aux fuel in N. America, so I'm curious what "excuse" you've given him as mine aren't sufficing.
As we say in aviation, you can never have too much fuel, unless you are on fire. I get terrible mileage at high cruising speeds, so the stock tank does not last for a reasonable distance. Plus it is much better to 'tanker' cheaper fuel, (Oregon into California), and simple peace of mind of not worrying if a station is open, where the next one is, etc. Besides MH knows 'real' Overland vehicles must have a minimum of 1000 miles of unrefueled range. ?
My camper holds 70 gallons of water (inside under the front seat), so I guess I will be heard from MH about that 'excess capacity?
I have to say, any extra weight on the big trucks (the 1017 & Kodiak) is a big help with the ride.

Thanks for the clarification Mark, I'm clear now (and the step makes a whole lot more sense).
I assume these are all metal tanks, but the top looks aluminum perhaps, the bottom steel. Are they both steel? And no poly tanks correct? (some aftermarket tank mfr's have had issues with the tanks sucking themselves down on gas engines, no issues on diesels, so at least one has stopped offering aftermarket aux poly tanks for gas engines).

Agreed on using between the frame rails.

What MPG do you expect with the Kodiak beast on 42s?
I agree on peace of mind, there's an argument for tankering cheaper fuel. I think you just lit a fire with MH on the "real" overland vehicles having 1000mi range. :p
70gal of water under the front seat?!?
I'm trying to keep my weight down as much as possible, which is an argument for not adding more fuel/water capacity, but again, my thinking is that if an empty tank is there, I have the choice of filling it or not. Not filling means less weight and Colin Chapman will smile, whereas filling gives peace of mind when needed.

All of this to say that I'm still heading towards keeping my stock aft-of-rear-axle 40gal poly tank, and when I need, supplement with 16gal via 4 4gal Rotopax in carrier on flatbed porch (would give me ~560mi of range or so). FWC has 20gal water, I also have 2 5gal FrontRunner water jerries in holder I could add to flatbed porch, but will investigate possible aux poly water tank/water pump for between frame rails, aft-of-cab, before rear diff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal