2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
5882lbs curb, ~10,000lbs GVWR.
That is a great curb weight! Your single cab and no bed saved you a bunch of weight as my F250 (crewcab, shortbed, V10, 35s) is 7,120lbs (weighed on scales, not book value).

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Depends on terrain and tires. I set a self imposed 10,000# limit on myself when shopping trucks. Right now I don't need a jeep, but an LMTV is too big.

I'll build an LMTV before a 550 brush truck. It's 45mph on dirt roads all the way to the TAT from my house. So it's lack of hwy speed, doesn't matter.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Check that, I was incorrect...mine is technically 10,900lbs GVWR, so curb weight is 6030lbs, max payload is 4860lbs...for 6.2L.
SuperCab version if I were to move to it would be 11,300lbs GVWR, curb is 6353lbs, max payload is 4940lbs...for 6.2L. Note that the 6.7L diesel adds about 750lbs to curb weight.
I'll be upset if I'm not under 10k GVWR.

mobydick 11

In my neck of the woods we have a magic number of 10,000 lbs then the truck becomes a commercial vehicle . Different licencing and operating rules . So what Build my Ford has cleverly added is a payload delete option . Once all the payload options are added and you end up with a gvwr over 10,000 you click the button and it moves it back to 9,900 lbs . Same truck just less legal carrying capacity . This is how my truck was ordered.

java

Expedition Leader
In my neck of the woods we have a magic number of 10,000 lbs then the truck becomes a commercial vehicle . Different licencing and operating rules . So what Build my Ford has cleverly added is a payload delete option . Once all the payload options are added and you end up with a gvwr over 10,000 you click the button and it moves it back to 9,900 lbs . Same truck just less legal carrying capacity . This is how my truck was ordered.
Good point!

I was able "de rate" my truck at the DOL, but if I am ever stopped and weighed I had better not be over the licensed weight. Since the trucks GVWR is over 10k here, I have to register as a commercial vehicle for private use. I am not required to stop at scales etc.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mobydick 11

Good point!

I was able "de rate" my truck at the DOL, but if I am ever stopped and weighed I had better not be over the licensed weight. Since the trucks GVWR is over 10k here, I have to register as a commercial vehicle for private use. I am not required to stop at scales etc.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yes I agree you are giving that weight up ,and have to stay within what you are licensed for .But it does not affect what the truck is truly capable of .

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
In my neck of the woods we have a magic number of 10,000 lbs then the truck becomes a commercial vehicle . Different licencing and operating rules .
Same here in Oregon, once you are over 9,999 lbs it is a different registration ('T' plate) and much more for registration, as it goes from <$50 per year when under 10,000lbs, to $450 per year for 10,000-12,000 lbs and on up from there, OUCH! I'm guessing the OP is going to be a 'motorhome', so that gets around the 'truck' registration, but still more per year that an auto/light truck (RV fees are based on length here) and any 'detachable' camper has to stay on the truck, no mix-n-match.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Same here in Oregon, once you are over 9,999 lbs it is a different registration ('T' plate) and much more for registration, as it goes from <$50 per year when under 10,000lbs, to $450 per year for 10,000-12,000 lbs and on up from there, OUCH! I'm guessing the OP is going to be a 'motorhome', so that gets around the 'truck' registration, but still more per year that an auto/light truck (RV fees are based on length here) and any 'detachable' camper has to stay on the truck, no mix-n-match.

Bizarre how much state Reg fees varies!

Here in CA, which is known to squeeze ever last penny out of us, it was a surprisingly HUGE drop in Reg fees when i went from a truck to a "RV"

Almost $600 a year, went down to $120 a year after converting it.

This was something i hadn't know about until i posted my truck/camper for sale and everyone kept asking me if it was registered as an RV. I was confused...

But apparently if you are financing something like this, you can get a 20 year RV loan at low interest. Not my thing, but for each is own.

Looked into it, took me literally 10 mins at AAA, and it was even free!

All states vary, but as the clerk explained it to me during inspection, it needed to have 110v power, a toilet, and something to sleep on.

I've heard many state the fines are astronomical if you get caught driving without the camper on it after you convert the reg, but don't know anyone first hand thats actually gotten the ticket, so who knows..

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Yep, mine was built as a 10,900lbs GVWR, but when licensing they allow you to change it to 9999lbs GWVR if you'll be using it for non-commercial use.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Mine is registered as just a "normal" 9999lb GWVR truck with my choice of OR plates, no truck or motorhome (both yellow plates here in OR). DMV didn't ask if I was building a "Camper Special." ;)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I would most definitely be impressed if you could pull that off sir!

I'll paypal you taco $ if you can pull it off (full loaded).

Damnit, now i am craving tacos...

Oh you're on mang.
And are we talking true Baja fish tacos, Cali street tacos, or some derivative? ;)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Bizarre how much state Reg fees varies!

Here in CA, which is known to squeeze ever last penny out of us, it was a surprisingly HUGE drop in Reg fees when i went from a truck to a "RV"

Almost $600 a year, went down to $120 a year after converting it.

This was something i hadn't know about until i posted my truck/camper for sale and everyone kept asking me if it was registered as an RV. I was confused...

But apparently if you are financing something like this, you can get a 20 year RV loan at low interest. Not my thing, but for each is own.

Looked into it, took me literally 10 mins at AAA, and it was even free!

All states vary, but as the clerk explained it to me during inspection, it needed to have 110v power, a toilet, and something to sleep on.

I've heard many state the fines are astronomical if you get caught driving without the camper on it after you convert the reg, but don't know anyone first hand thats actually gotten the ticket, so who knows..

And often a sink, in case of Tom's big white Kodiak ambo in AZ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online