2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

mobydick 11

Look at the uprights near the headlines. Those are all the same billet C clamps to hold that on, not a pivot
You can purchase just the bumper without the over hood piece . You would save about $1300 I think .Imagine if you had any type of under hood fire ,you would be screwed .On second thought maybe I don't like it so much .

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Very interested in this build. I am slowly planning out my next F-350 purchase in the next 1-2 years and I am thinking about something similar so this should be a good follow. I'm not sure I could go gasser though, I was always longing for the diesel motor when I had my Power Wagon.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You guys can fight over the Mad Max bumper then. ;)

Very interested in this build. I am slowly planning out my next F-350 purchase in the next 1-2 years and I am thinking about something similar so this should be a good follow. I'm not sure I could go gasser though, I was always longing for the diesel motor when I had my Power Wagon.

Thanks for following along. Unfortunately there will be some delays...long story short, we found our dream property. Working on acquiring that now. If that goes through, the pace of this project will have to be slowed considerably....although the property will need a flatbed truck (ideally with drop sides to make a bed), so I'm still working with Alum-line and Highway Products on the flatbed setup. Will see where that goes once I get firmer estimates.

This is a great build! Something like this may be in our future as the family gets bigger and trips get longer.

Thanks! When it's complete you can easily check it out in person. :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sorry for the delay everyone. Been focused on all this covid19 stuff, and finalizing property purchase.
Just this am toured a few different "cabin/camper" setups. Currently headed towards one of them, but hint, it's not a FWC Hawk flatbed as originally discussed. Would still be on flatbed w/ boxes however.

More to come.
Stay healthy and physically distanced all.

mobydick 11

Sorry for the delay everyone. Been focused on all this covid19 stuff, and finalizing property purchase.
Just this am toured a few different "cabin/camper" setups. Currently headed towards one of them, but hint, it's not a FWC Hawk flatbed as originally discussed. Would still be on flatbed w/ boxes however.

More to come.
Stay healthy and physically distanced all.
Nice to see you back. So have you been able to drive the truck around with no deck ? I have some real world numbers on gas mileage. After around 8000 Kilometers we are getting about 15 miles to the gallon . I am happy with that . Good news is I have only caught myself saying F--ing truck rough riding son off ********** once !! And that was after I missed seeing a man hole and my coffee went flying allover the place ,ha ha . When I put the loaded 3.5 ton dump trailer on the back it smooths out the ride nicely . stay safe

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Nice to see you back. So have you been able to drive the truck around with no deck ? I have some real world numbers on gas mileage. After around 8000 Kilometers we are getting about 15 miles to the gallon . I am happy with that . Good news is I have only caught myself saying F--ing truck rough riding son off ********** once !! And that was after I missed seeing a man hole and my coffee went flying allover the place ,ha ha . When I put the loaded 3.5 ton dump trailer on the back it smooths out the ride nicely . stay safe

Thx much! Yes, drove it 4+ hrs, mainly highway (put cardboard on the rear window even though MG at ExpoVans built some custom rear wheelwells for me to prevent rock kickup). It's definitely rough unladen. Need some kegs of Oregon's finest suds strapped to the rear. ;) Still have less than 1000mi on it so unsure of MPG yet. I'd be happy with 15mpg!

Still looking at Highway Products for the flat bed?

Yes, but I won't be using the truck with flatbed without the "cabin." Just too much work to take the entire rear bed/cabin off the flatbed, then back on. If I need to be hauling stuff often, I'll buy a small trailer for hauling duties around home.
I just contacted HP again today as I hadn't heard back from them due to the covid19 situation. Ideal would be for them to build the entire flatbed, driver/pass boxes(exterior and interior accessible), front vertical section of the "pickup" bed, custom dropdown tailgate(custom ideas like storage and step), spare tire swingout to driver side. But it's going to cost $$.
The other flatbed I'm strongly considering however for the value($) is a UTE flatbed (same brand that AEV used on their big RAM Prospectors), then add HwyProducts boxes. All in all I'm sold on HwyProducts boxes after others here have raved about their construction and sealing properties through nasty weather in Alaska, etc. Plus, they're sorta local here in Oregon.

mobydick 11

Another box supplier you could look at is Bear ? . I used a couple of the steel boxes last year on a project and they seem very well made ,and at a good price point . They have aluminum too ,lots and lots of different sizes and shapes .Amazon shows some but if you want to see all their offerings you have to go to their web site .O and I generally drive the speed limit ,go from 100 kph to 120 and it cost you almost 2 mpg .

mobydick 11

Well this is embarrassing I screwed that up too . Its not Bear ,It is Buyers . I just walked pass the camper and happened to look. Sorry for that !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk