2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorB

Adventurer
Can someone explain in simple words, why this truck is entitled to be named “defender”, while all I see is a new/another version of Discovery?

Slowly..

blackangie

Yeah, not a single one of these people look like Defender drivers. Most likely actors that LR hired as part of their marketing campaign #lol.
hahah, hey naks

cant agree with ya this time

https://www.landrover.de/defender/team-def...nner-frame click on are you team defender then click more, shows all the people that entered. (windows almost translates the page but if you keep clicking stuff you find it

Looks like all the people in the vid entered this competition, hundreds of submissions by the looks

I kept clicking more and it just kept going, didn't get to the end, lots of varied defender drivers, defender drivers can dress up nice too, i've got a few mates that scrub up ok and drive em.

Their names are also on the video for everyone to see.

Looks real to me.

I don't think Landrover get up to fake infomercial shenanigans hiring people for comment.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

I would have expected more leaked pics by now, LR is doing some great OPSEC :cool:
For sure, pretty amazing really, next official release is next Thursday 5th according to leaked timeline, why does it seem so long as it gets so close to reveal!

naks

a slightly zoomed out photo was emailed to some people, found this on the Disco3 forum

attachment.php

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Here is what I think. It is going to look awesome and be extremely capable/reliable, and the hordes of negative Nancy on the interweb are going to be very disappointed.

:)

Seriously though, take a look at Jaguar. Their latest cars are looking absolutely fantastic, and I am not hearing any reliability issues.
Never in a million years either my wife or myself thought we would be wanting one...but recently I have been interested by their F-Pace diesel.
Yes, they offer a diesel SUV in the USA.

1567176249486.png

1567176099298.png

DorB

Adventurer

Scot Brady did a pretty good job, but im sure we will find out for sure in a few days both from the reveal and here.

It’s a factory press release.. not Scott’s words.

Sorry for being a part popper.. but it’s not a Defender, at least not for me.

Defender it’s all about rugged simple off-road vehicle.
Not a Disco in disguise wannabe.

Toyota 70’ series is a living proof that even on 2019 you can build such a truck, if you want.

So LR doesn’t want, and tries to blindfold the People and tell them it’s not a Duck.
Well, it’s a duck.

Those of you who own a defender, hold on to it.
They’re the last of its kind.

Slowly..

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Luckily we will still be able to buy a classic Defender for a long time - even a new one! Everyone wins!

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 10.32.43 AM.png

Last edited:

DieselRanger

It’s a factory press release.. not Scott’s words.

Sorry for being a part popper.. but it’s not a Defender, at least not for me.

Defender it’s all about rugged simple off-road vehicle.
Not a Disco in disguise wannabe.

Toyota 70’ series is a living proof that even on 2019 you can build such a truck, if you want.

So LR doesn’t want, and tries to blindfold the People and tell them it’s not a Duck.
Well, it’s a duck.

Those of you who own a defender, hold on to it.
They’re the last of its kind.

Slowly..

Those who don't want to believe that Land Rover still makes superior off-road vehicles to the competition won't be swayed by majestic Kazakh canyons and vistas or Moab runs or deep-wilderness African nonprofit support or Andean Road of Death excursions or hundreds of thousands of test miles. But ultimately those aren't the people Land Rover is interested in selling to anyway. They're interested in selling to people who believe in the brand and who want capability and the image that brings, and who see the proof Land Rover has been showing everyone for what it is. Some just want a vehicle that will take them where they want to go in an enjoyable manner, and some will just roll down Rodeo for the 'Grams. A few will use them as intended. But that's always been the story with any niche automobile - Jeep included.

Can you believe people are actually complaining that the C8 Corvette no longer has leaf spring suspension in the rear? You know, the same suspension that they used on Coach-and-Fours and Conestogas? These are the same kinds of people who cling to the outdated notion that live axles front and rear are the only solution for driving off-road in a serious manner, and if a feature ain't mechaincal it don't belong off-road.

I love me some air-cooled boxer engines in old Porsches, but they don't hold a candle to a modern front-drive Honda Civic Type R in the terms of performance. Hold on to your old Defenders because they are a symbol of a motoring era past, just as old CJ's and 911's and front-engined Vettes are. But don't pretend they perform better or will be any more reliable or durable off-road than something with modern engineering and technology behind it.

JeepColorado

Those who don't want to believe that Land Rover still makes superior off-road vehicles to the competition won't be swayed by majestic Kazakh canyons and vistas or Moab runs or deep-wilderness African nonprofit support or Andean Road of Death excursions or hundreds of thousands of test miles. But ultimately those aren't the people Land Rover is interested in selling to anyway. They're interested in selling to people who believe in the brand and who want capability and the image that brings, and who see the proof Land Rover has been showing everyone for what it is. Some just want a vehicle that will take them where they want to go in an enjoyable manner, and some will just roll down Rodeo for the 'Grams. A few will use them as intended. But that's always been the story with any niche automobile - Jeep included.

Can you believe people are actually complaining that the C8 Corvette no longer has leaf spring suspension in the rear? You know, the same suspension that they used on Coach-and-Fours and Conestogas? These are the same kinds of people who cling to the outdated notion that live axles front and rear are the only solution for driving off-road in a serious manner, and if a feature ain't mechaincal it don't belong off-road.

I love me some air-cooled boxer engines in old Porsches, but they don't hold a candle to a modern front-drive Honda Civic Type R in the terms of performance. Hold on to your old Defenders because they are a symbol of a motoring era past, just as old CJ's and 911's and front-engined Vettes are. But don't pretend they perform better or will be any more reliable or durable off-road than something with modern engineering and technology behind it.

You had me until you said Land Rover still makes superior off-road vehicles to the competition. Maybe the Defender will be as off-road capable as a Wrangler or reliable as a Land Cruiser or as old-school cool as a G-Wagon, but there's not a chance you can say that anything they've built in the last several years is superior to any one of them except maybe in on-road manners compared to a Wrangler; just be sure not to even think about touching the infotainment system in the LR! :)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
There is a short list of features, for us at least, that a Land Rover must exhibit and did in the past. After visiting all the competition we ended up back at LR for a LR4.

- Command seating
- Low waist line, ability for the driver/passenger arms to sit below the shoulder, unlike today's standard vehicle that feels like you are sitting in a bucket
- Steep front window with superior visibility, to include road immediately in front of vehicle.
- Rear passenger windows that open all the way
- Short sloping front hood
- Stick shifter, no knobs
- rear seating that folds completely flat
- Large rear access
- Rear swing door/split tailgate
- Spring or air suspension
- Engine/transmission/chassis capable of towing 5000#'s at altitude on 4-7% grades across mountain passes at a sustained 60mph for relatively long distances

What we don't care about

- Technology for technology sake
- Infotainment (obsolete within a year anyway)
- Built in navigation (maps become obsolete quickly and where we might need navigation they don't have detailed off-road maps and your cell service is dead. We tell our visitors to Colorado to toss their cell phone in the back seat and learn to read a paper map).
- Built-in wifi (never heard of hotspots on your phone?)
- Cupholders

The checklist doesn't change for our next vehicle. The new Defender would need to hit all items.

Last edited:

DorB

Adventurer
Well put, but irrelevant.
I’ve never said nothing against progress and development.
If LR wants to try and built some “great” new cars and SUV, that’s ok.

But comes a moment when you need to admit that the change in the platform is so drastic, that it’s not evolution of the model, but an all new platform.

When you look at the defender line, from the 109 to the last real defender, there was significant improvement, but you could always see the roots running all the way.
It’s not the case with the current model.

LR is trying to ride on the iconic name of the Defender, but it’s not a defender..

as the Monty python bunch said:
“And now for something completely different”.

Slowly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77