2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Also add that historically there has always been a difference between Land Rover and Range Rover. Range Rover was the luxury sloping sexy model line. Land Rover was more utilitarian and functional, having nothing to do with luxury or any sloping design cues. The choice was clear cut. Defender needs to uphold that distinction/differentiation which means any McGovern 'design language' fingerprints are a step backwards.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
LR is trying to ride on the iconic name of the Defender, but it’s not a defender..

as the Monty python bunch said:
“And now for something completely different”.

Slowly..

You could apply the same logic to every brand....Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, Beetle, Mini, Challenger, Charger, Supra, etc, etc. They own the names and you can't really blame the company for leveraging it for marketing. It is a business after all.

At some point, it's just a name. I would not get to worked out over that. What matters is what you do with the product.

People are still going to take the new Defender and explore every corner of the planet.

They are going to create stories and memories, and in 50 years people will be missing the 2020 Defender and complaining the new self-driving/self-flying atomic powered version is not authentic enough.

:)

blackangie

Here is what I think. It is going to look awesome and be extremely capable/reliable, and the hordes of negative Nancy on the interweb are going to be very disappointed.

Seriously though, take a look at Jaguar. Their latest cars are looking absolutely fantastic, and I am not hearing any reliability issues.
Never in a million years either my wife or myself thought we would be wanting one...but recently I have been interested by their F-Pace diesel.
Yes, they offer a diesel SUV in the USA.

View attachment 535780

View attachment 535779
Fully agree we also bought a Jag recently

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

It’s a factory press release.. not Scott’s words.

Sorry for being a part popper.. but it’s not a Defender, at least not for me.

Defender it’s all about rugged simple off-road vehicle.
Not a Disco in disguise wannabe.

Toyota 70’ series is a living proof that even on 2019 you can build such a truck, if you want.

So LR doesn’t want, and tries to blindfold the People and tell them it’s not a Duck.
Well, it’s a duck.

Those of you who own a defender, hold on to it.
They’re the last of its kind.

Slowly..

Actually they are Scott Brady's words, there was no press release like that, the video from LR, the writing from Scott.

blackangie

And it is possible to do just that. Mercedes did a masterful job of building an all new G Wagon that is still a G Wagon. View attachment 535835
And still ugly and did you know its ifs also now. I don't see anything masterful about it, i do like the professional version to be fair.
6a3733d02300f33c9f292d112f9c261b.jpg

blackangie

That is strange some were emailed this, however on closer inspection it does seem to be different to both bond and the paint booth.
The second opening is much bigger (almost same size as top badge opening if you took out middle) giving a tougher look. The bottom of the second opening is also rounder comparing with bond. There seems to be a plate over the lower area, with cam over it.
Bonnet opening for the first time seems to go straight back rather than around the checker plate seen at tusk.??
LR did say re paint booth, we try many options etc.
Maybe they expected bond to leak and tweaked it a little to troll us.
3dcbf5621acba86636f482389df0694e.jpg
e7af6e5513b3026b07e3a88cbe375b9b.jpg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
And still ugly and did you know its ifs also now. I don't see anything masterful about it, i do like the professional version to be fair.
6a3733d02300f33c9f292d112f9c261b.jpg

I didn’t say the G is pretty. I just think then did a good job of keeping the look of the G. Land Rover has not. There are cues, but if you park it next and older Defender, I wouldn’t think they were the same model. Yes I do know it’s ifs. So is the land cruiser LR3-4 and the new Defender. So what.

DorB

Adventurer
That is not correct. I found the video in this thread and then reviewed it frame ---- by ---- frame. I test vehicles for a living, and a video like that tells me a lot.
I was following the link trough tapatalk

You stated:
Unedited press release.

ae9357d7d5b20b2165e444e754527893.jpg

Slowly..

DorB

Adventurer
You could apply the same logic to every brand..
You can.
But how does it change the outcome?

LR took a truck that you could wash with a garden hose, and fix most of it by yourself, and turned it into an all computerized something also.
And if there’s something LR doesn’t earn Medals for, is electric relatability..
So there goes the reliability and simplicity out the window..

Yes,
I believe they will sell it, mostly for those who like the though that they have a “defender”, but I really can’t see a scenario that NGO are standing inline to order this SUV for remote harsh area service.

They are going to create stories and memories, and in 50 years people will be missing the 2020 Defender and complaining the new self-driving/self-flying atomic powered version is not authentic enough.
I think that in 50 years, people will relate to this change in model as the ridge-line of the defender model, which started its descent.

Slowly..

blackangie

I didn’t say the G is pretty. I just think then did a good job of keeping the look of the G. Land Rover has not. There are cues, but if you park it next and older Defender, I wouldn’t think they were the same model. Yes I do know it’s ifs. So is the land cruiser LR3-4 and the new Defender. So what.
G's are like vegemite

blackangie

I was following the link trough tapatalk

You stated:
Unedited press release.

ae9357d7d5b20b2165e444e754527893.jpg

Slowly..
You obviously clicked on the wrong link, it was given many times above, including in my post above, here it is again for like the 4th time, there is more than 1 defender story on this site.

Click here slowly ...

It will look like this...

be351f647d94ec120bc3d6bfc8831253.jpg

blackangie

You can.
But how does it change the outcome?

LR took a truck that you could wash with a garden hose, and fix most of it by yourself, and turned it into an all computerized something also.
And if there’s something LR doesn’t earn Medals for, is electric relatability..
So there goes the reliability and simplicity out the window..

Yes,
I believe they will sell it, mostly for those who like the though that they have a “defender”, but I really can’t see a scenario that NGO are standing inline to order this SUV for remote harsh area service.

I think that in 50 years, people will relate to this change in model as the ridge-line of the defender model, which started its descent.

Slowly..
Respectfully whats up with your slowly

No matter how fast somebody types you can read it as fast or as slow as you like.

I dont know what LR's you are talking about with Electric reliability, maybe p38s?
Mate a lot of people on here including myself own modern JLR vehicles, there is nothing out of the ordinary about their electrical reliability or reliability in general, in the UK, LR are pretty equivalent with Toyota in reliability stakes where the diesels and petrols of both brands are offered, especially when you consider what you get.

A 2019 RRVogue is lightyears ahead of a 1995 p38 in reliability, dependability and durability. Engineering and tech has come a long way in 24years.

The thing is with current defenders you do have to fix them on the trail, with the new one you probably won't in most cases.

I say this as one of the worlds biggest RRC fans, which i have a deep love for, but i know the same is true.

I'm interested in the reliability and durability of the new defender, plus the fact that it doesn't look like it needs every nut and bolt upgraded or fixed to make it into a comfirtable, reliable, safe and efficient overlander for my family. I have a deposit down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77