2021 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-HBE pop-up flatbed pickup camper (renamed the "Hudson Bay" for 2023 model year)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for posting the photo, knew I had seen it somewhere. I wish they would take reimagine that cabinet and move the water tank forward. Sort of CAMP X like, propane, water and battery all forward. HW price will be above the AterraXL price.

Moving the CG forward is helpful but I also look at recovering some of the storage under the dinette seats. The AterraXL is way ahead on internal storage. Going with a chest fridge opens up the current space for some slide out drawers.

I was just looking last night at ATO's Aterra site again and noticed AterraXL has increased from $69k to $76k.

It sounds like there's at least some people here who want to see an OEV HBE with Aterra-like interior. I agree 100%. ATO nailed the Aterra interior for storage and spaciousness. Sadly for OEV fans, I was just speaking with some folks who have a relationship with OEV and while OEV is open with listening/implementing some of the customer feedback (chadx keep pushing them!), they're very stubborn in other areas and flat out won't listen/change. For example, while they have the Cross-Country (ie CampX->now Back Country shell model), there's most likely no possibility of an HBE shell model in the near future. So for those thinking about taking one of those and building an Aterra-like interior in it, appears you're out of luck right now. :(

When camper sales are slumping, one would think OEV would want to be agile and selling more of what people want, whenever they can. @chadx, are Arnold and Mark monitoring these threads for feedback/ideas?

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

Ninelitetrip

I was just looking last night at ATO's Aterra site again and noticed AterraXL has increased from $69k to $76k.

It sounds like there's at least some people here who want to see an OEV HBE with Aterra-like interior. I agree 100%. ATO nailed the Aterra interior for storage and spaciousness. Sadly for OEV fans, I was just speaking with some folks who have a relationship with OEV and while OEV is open with listening/implementing some of the customer feedback (chadx keep pushing them!), they're very stubborn in other areas and flat out won't listen/change. For example, while they have the Cross-Country (ie CampX->now Back Country shell model), there's most likely no possibility of an HBE shell model in the near future. So for those thinking about taking one of those and building an Aterra-like interior in it, appears you're out of luck right now. :(

When camper sales are slumping, one would think OEV would want to be agile and selling more of what people want, whenever they can. @chadx, are Arnold and Mark monitoring these threads for feedback/ideas?

ATO has a long lead time for AterraXL orders. :(

I think Mark, Arnold, and Erik don't come close to the activity on here of that guy from BC. :)

Flip it around, does TC and the third party outfitters have a comparable HW version of the HBE complete with interior shower and lav, solar, and storage as a base model, not a custom upfit?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

I think Mark, Arnold, and Erik don't come close to the activity on here of that guy from BC. :)

Flip it around, does TC and the third party outfitters have a comparable HW version of the HBE complete with interior shower and lav, solar, and storage as a base model, not a custom upfit?

What's the ATO lead time right now?

Maybe OEV should get more involved with the active forums, of their potential customers. They might sell even more. ;)

Calling @Victorian .....

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
FWIW, we also did dimmable light strips (moved the whole fuse block to an SPOD) in our shop HBE.

I'm also a proponent of pushing the water tank forward. There are rumors from up top they're working on a re-design to accommodate it, but at this point nothing official.

All of the new victron componentry, at least the latest build we've had delivered, was still back on the left, rear compartment. Near the heaters. It would be nice to get it somewhere up near the batteries, hopefully that'll happen with the water tank change (??).

Here in Reno at least, we're cheering the move from Redarc to Victron, we've just had a lot better luck with it. And we put Battleborn batteries in everything and Victron is their componentry of choice.

sn_85

Observer

I'm having a BEAR vehicles build a 6.5ft HW TC camper that will be going on a Ram 2500. Afaik, none of the TC builders have pre-set full packages at this time. I still think they're trying to figure those things out. However I somewhat prefer a shell and a la carte build for a few reasons. One being cost. If I wanted a fully pre-built camper from OEV or ATO the cost is at least $70k for hard wall versions. The other is the ability to design a custom layout that fits my needs and what I want rather than a one size fits all approach. For my build I prefer and will prioritize seating space and storage over appliances and/or luxury systems. I don't think I need the latest and greatest Redarc system or fancy hot water systems and this will not only keep costs down but complexity as well. For me this is more of weekend camping rig rather than something I'm living in full time or doing weeks at a time in since I still have a full time job that requires me to be in the office. Now if I was doing it full time then you betcha I'd want all the amenities but for my use case it's a big shelter where I can stay dry and warm in for weekend trips.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm having a BEAR vehicles build a 6.5ft HW TC camper that will be going on a Ram 2500. Afaik, none of the TC builders have pre-set full packages at this time. I still think they're trying to figure those things out. However I somewhat prefer a shell and a la carte build for a few reasons. One being cost. If I wanted a fully pre-built camper from OEV or ATO the cost is at least $70k for hard wall versions. The other is the ability to design a custom layout that fits my needs and what I want rather than a one size fits all approach. For my build I prefer and will prioritize seating space and storage over appliances and/or luxury systems. I don't think I need the latest and greatest Redarc system or fancy hot water systems and this will not only keep costs down but complexity as well. For me this is more of weekend camping rig rather than something I'm living in full time or doing weeks at a time in since I still have a full time job that requires me to be in the office. Now if I was doing it full time then you betcha I'd want all the amenities but for my use case it's a big shelter where I can stay dry and warm in for weekend trips.

Quade at Overland Adventure Truck if now offering TC shells and in-house interior layouts too.

Custom is great, IF you're patient with the design process and wait time to have someone you trust build the interior.

Ninelitetrip

No news on a Hard Wall HBE 8-foot version yet. They were working on the layout and drawings prior to Christmas, however, they have announced the 9.5 High Country HW flatbed on the website. Sort of muddies the water.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Very interesting that they have two version of the High Country Hardwall; one that is fixed (Starts At $146,175.00 USD) and one that is removable with the model-specific flatbed (Starts At $122,500.00 USD). Base camp now lists only soft top. Hard to determine where this falls in the lineup and why they are splitting out the HW and SW into different models and dimensions rather than designing one camper than can be both (like the Base Camp used to be). Perhaps to offer no compromises, a SW and HW simply demand different enough layouts that completely different campers is justified. It's getting to the point where they have so many models (which is great!) that they need a "comparison chart" for easier reference.

So, based on starting prices in USD (CA not available for High Country, but I'm just using the base price to sort):
Hudson Bay SW 6.75' - $67,244 (not counting tray)
Hudson Bay SW 8' - $68,072 (not counting tray)
High Country HW removable - $122,500 (not counting tray)
Base Camp SW - $159,000
Hight Country HW fixed - $146,175
Summit - $263,285

Looks like there may still be room for a Hudson Bay HW with the price spread between the Hudson Bay 8' SW and the High Country HW removable.

Ninelitetrip

For a company that is producing standard model dealer-sold units, I agree need to flesh out the website a bit more, especially with comparisons.

My interest is the 8-foot HBE Hard Wall. When I spoke to them in the fall they were putting engineering and design resources and thought there would be something to show after January. Then they post the High Country. Hopefully, the HBE HW is still going into production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach