2022 Ford F550 - DIY - Adventure Expedition Vehicle Build Thread

Vance Vanz

Carbon Fiber Enclosure Panels - Grey Water Tank - Layout & Mold Making

The fairing material needed a few days to cure before sanding, so I jumped onto the enclosure panels (x three) for the grey water tank. I though about not doing these (to save some time on the build), or doing them after I/we return from the trip. But ............, the reality is, if I don't do them now, they will probably never get done. It is one of those things I would regret not doing now, so I had my answer. They are needed to make sure the camper is four season-insulating the grey water tank/drain lines.

Layout for the molds
IMG_1429 2.jpeg
IMG_1431 2.jpeg

These pesky little pieces are going to be a PITA
IMG_1434 2.jpeg

Mold making
IMG_1437 2.jpeg

Back enclosure panel
IMG_1440 2.jpegIMG_1441 2.jpeg

Angled bottom enclosure panel (One of two bottom panels)
IMG_1446 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Carbon Fiber Enclosure Panels - Grey Water Tank - Layups

Staged and prepped for three layups
IMG_1449.jpegIMG_1450.jpeg

First layup on a pump
IMG_1451.jpeg

Second layup
IMG_1452.jpegIMG_1454.jpeg

Third layup finally on a pump
74468564191__94E120C5-ECC3-42E6-B691-9443D511D76D 2.jpeg

Everything on a pump for the night
IMG_1457.jpeg

That was a long day

Vance Vanz

Carbon Fiber Enclosure Panels - Grey Water Tank - Demolding & Dry Fit

Demolding
74538405847__9DBC5F0E-0E8C-41CB-951F-C0E88482F368.jpeg

Rigging camper in order to dry fit panels.
IMG_1492.jpeg

Dry fitting panels/Back panel. (Sorry for the wonky pictures. There isn't much room to take decent pictures with the stand in the way/acting as a safety net.)
IMG_1481.jpegIMG_1482.jpegIMG_1483.jpeg

Bottom angled panel
IMG_1489.jpegIMG_1484.jpeg

Bottom panel
IMG_1493.jpeg

All three panels: trimmed, shaped and ready for bodywork & coating
IMG_1500.jpeg

Fingers crossed, these are the last composite parts on the build that will need to be fabricated. I would love to say I have some feeling of accomplishment around this milestone, but all I can think about is how much bodywork I still have to complete :oops:!

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Pass Through Flanges - Final Paint

These needed to get done before the truck/camper go off to paint/coating, but I think I'm honestly just procrastinating from getting back to the bodywork on the camper (the first major sand).
IMG_1468.jpeg

There is a touch of texture on the visible inside portions of the cab-side pass through flange that should match the texture on some of/many of the factory painted items in the crew cab area. The details!

Vance Vanz

Camper Fairing/Bodywork - Bottom Exterior - Continued

Now that I am in a single room shop, I have to do something to keep the sanding dust contained. The last thing I want is epoxy based fairing material dust all over everything in the shop, especially where I eat lunch and dinner. This stuff is bad enough if it gets anywhere on my skin and I can't even imagine what it would be like to eat some of it.

Remember when you used to make forts out of blankets as a kid, well those skills are finally coming in handy as an adult 😄
IMG_1503.jpeg
IMG_1504.jpegIMG_1505.jpegIMG_1506.jpeg

Well, I can't procrastinate any longer; it's time to re-enter the dark side. Back to sanding. This will be my plastic fortress/home for the next few weeks.

One tough long week of sanding, and applying the second coat on everything, has passed.
IMG_1509.jpegIMG_1511.jpeg

Lucky for me, it's time for my sweet heart and I to head off to Burning Man for a bit. Two WACKADOOS headed out to have some fun with thousands of other domestic and international Wackadoos. It's been awhile since I have gone, and it will be my partners first time going, so I'm excited to experience it with her. I definitely need a break from composite and bodywork, although I am so close to being done with it all!!!!

The next time I post to the thread, the composite and bodywork should be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

I gotta know... about how many hours do you figure you'll have in this before it's finished?
Sorry for the belated reply rruff. I completely unplugged for Burning Man.

To complete the whole project :oops:o_O:unsure:, I'm guessing, hoping 🤞, 2 years 6 months will do it (max 2 years 8 months). This is actual working time at 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Somebody can do the math at 52 weeks a year.

March 1st, 2025 will be three calendar years I have been on the project full-time and a 4 to 6 month deduct for vacations, time off, sick days, ect. will be as close as I can get to a total hour figure. Realistically, it is probably closer to the 2 year 8 month mark (at these figures) considering the amount of days I have worked over 12 hours a day.

I'm also probably not calculating the total hour figure because the reality of doing so would: create a hard lump in my throat :oops:, I would not be able to swallow 🙁, then the tears would start to flow 😭 and the question of (What in the F have I been doing with my life? 😩) would eventually follow. 🤪😆, but seriously!!!!

Off to sanding.

rruff

Explorer
About 11,000 hrs... yikes! Over 5 years of full time work...

Hope you had a great time at Burning Man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3