2M Recommendations For Beginners Please!

KD8MSS

1500 Watts is Full Legal Limit for Hams on most bands. With FM they either get the signal or they don't. Power only helps somewhat as VHF and UHF are more or less line of sight. 25w FM on either 2m or 70cm is plenty.

KaiserM715

Adventurer
I am looking for a dual band (2M / 70 cm) unit with a detachable face (mandatory for my vehicle). I am waffling between ICOM and Yaesu. The models I am looking at are the IC-208H, FT-7900R and possibly the FT-8800R. Between these two brands, which one is more user friendly? I realize that this is a loaded question as some personal preference comes into play.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had a 208H. NOT user friendly. Compact, powerful, well featured, yes. But not user friendly. The buttons are cryptic, the steps involved to do anything is convoluted, and the manual is terrible. As a new HAM, it will be completely unhelpful. It tells you "to engage mode X, do the following", without ever telling you WHY you might wish to engage Mode X.

Daryl

Adventurer
As nwoods said, the 208H is cryptic. But in a bid to one-up their competition, Yaesu makes some of the most cryptic user interfaces one can imagine as well.

You want something simple? Look for something old. Unfortunately I doubt you'll find something older with a detachable face.

The last truly simple to operate mobile I had was a 2m RadioShack HTX-212. It seems that radio manufacturers don't think there is a market in amateur radio for simple, clean interfaces that don't have to include the kitchen sink. I mean...really....you're mobile. Do you really need all that crap? I don't. But you have little choice if you want a newer radio. Unless you forego something field programmable and go with a commercial radio.

Daryl

Adventurer
Interesting, I love my 208H... and ever since, I understand Icom's code better than any others...

Each manufacturer seems to have their own style of crypticism, so once you figure it out you're fine. I've been buying Yaesus for years so I'm mostly fine with it, but it simply because I've spent the time to fight through it for long enough.

What I would not do, is buy a hand held as your first radio. It will seem tempting, but don't do it. It sacrifices much of the range, clarity, power, and ease of use, that you want a Ham radio for in the first place. Get a handheld for your second radio.KI6MIE

Great advice, and it's never too late to second that kind of good advice! Hand helds are second radios, not first. Period. Get a standard 50w 2m or dual band mobile unit and if/when the emergency comes, you'll be ever so thankful you did not get stuck with a highly limited .5, 1.5 or 5w hand held that cost you almost as much as the 50w mobile. And don't cheap out on the antenna; that fifty watts won't go far at all without a good antenna. Not far at all.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I just got into 2M for trail use, and am in the process of installing a Yaesu FT-1900R 2M unit in my Trooper. I like the small size, ruggedness, and simplicity of the design, great for the dusty trails I seem to frequent. I installed a Comet SS-680SB antenna on the ARB bullbar. I was a bit worried it would be a distraction in that location, but it is not a large antenna, and it is black so it is quite unobtrusive. I don't think it will be problem at all. And it has a spring base in case I forget about it in some heavy brush. So we'll see how it works. I'll have it up and running in the next few days, and since I just passed the technician test today, I will be transmitting soon!

Expedition Leader
I just got into 2M for trail use, and am in the process of installing a Yaesu FT-1900R 2M unit in my Trooper. I like the small size, ruggedness, and simplicity of the design, great for the dusty trails I seem to frequent. I installed a Comet SS-680SB antenna on the ARB bullbar. I was a bit worried it would be a distraction in that location, but it is not a large antenna, and it is black so it is quite unobtrusive. I don't think it will be problem at all. And it has a spring base in case I forget about it in some heavy brush. So we'll see how it works. I'll have it up and running in the next few days, and since I just passed the technician test today, I will be transmitting soon!

Be sure to check your SWR with an antenna analyzer since that antenna is 1/4-wave on 2M and 5/8-wave on 70cm, both of which usually like to see a decent ground plane to resonate well. A bull bar like the ARB does not always have enough surface area to make a good ground plane, though if you are close enough to the hood of the truck then that may still work OK. If it won't yield acceptable SWR, then try a 1/2-wave antenna.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The information I have is that the 680 is a 1/2 wave for 2M...I purposely looked for a 1/2 wave due to the iffy ground plane situation. Here is what the Comet website says:

SS-680SB
SS-680SBNMO
Specially designed dualband mobile antennas with a spring base to absorb brushes with tree limbs, flying debris, garage doors, etc... No antenna is indestructible, but the spring will help keep the antenna from breaking in most cases.

VHF: 144-148MHz
UHF: 440-450MHz
Gain& Wave:
146MHz 1/2 wave 2.15dBi
446MHz 5/8 wave 4.15dBi
VSWR: 1.5:1 or less
Max Power: 80W
Length: 27"
Connector:
SS-680SB: Gold-plated PL-259
SS-680SBNMO: NMO type

http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=4&childID=4

Expedition Leader
The information I have is that the 680 is a 1/2 wave for 2M...I purposely looked for a 1/2 wave due to the iffy ground plane situation. Here is what the Comet website says:

http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=4&childID=4

Well, Comet should know! I looked it up on the first link to come up in a Google search (Gigaparts) and they said what I quoted: http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZCM-SS-680SB

Good luck with the install in any event.

General Automag

Adventurer
So, what Ham radio do you recommend?

So after reading all of these posts, what is "the" best recommendation for a Ham radio and antenna setup? And, for you all with Ham radios, do you run a CB radio as well?

For the Ham radios, give three (3) of your top pics. Thanks :)

So after reading all of these posts, what is "the" best recommendation for a Ham radio and antenna setup? And, for you all with Ham radios, do you run a CB radio as well?

For the Ham radios, give three (3) of your top pics. Thanks :)

yes I run a CB alongside my 2m/440 ham rig. Most 4x4ers use CB, not ham radio, so it makes very good sense to keep a CB handy.

my 3 top pics for ham radio: (newer versions exist of some)

Yaesu FT-8800 2m/440, 50w, because it has 50 watts on 2m, and has a crossband repeater function (it will re-transmit at much higher power your handheld radio signal when you are on foot away from the vehicle)

any good dual band (2m/440) 5w handheld to accompany above, make sure it has a AA battery adapter as well as 5w rechargeable.

Yaesu FT 857D HF/2m/440 mobile 100w (hf) because HF will get a signal very far away in emergencies, is probably the most compact HF you can get, and is fun to use.

Antennas: I use a very small comet 2m/440 antenna (about 1.5 foot tall) for truck-to-truck simplex on ham, and I keep a much bigger 2m/440 stowed for better range when needed. Smaller mounted antennas can handle the trail abuse much, much better. I also have an Arrow portable 2m/440 yagi directional antenna for emergencies.

I stow monoband hamsticks for HF, and only erect them if needed.

I stow a short, maybe 3 foot, Wilson firestik CB antenna for CB use, and run it side by side sometimes with my small comet ham antenna.

The main problem I have had in the past with large antennas is damaging or loosening of antenna mounts on bumpy trail conditions, hitting branches, etc.

Last edited:

General Automag

Adventurer
Does anyone run and "Export" CBs alongside their Hams? We were just looking into buying a CB and we stumbled upon the export models. 'Seems like a better CB to complement the Ham radio. 'Thoughts anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater