2M Recommendations For Beginners Please!

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Great point Bob. After I passed my technician exam, I was talking with a couple of local Elmers, and they encouraged me to go on and get my general as it would be better suited for the more remote areas of Idaho.

I feel comfortable with 2m in the areas I currently travel in the desert as I have 2 to 3 repeaters I can draw from. One good thing is to obtain a list of local repeaters for the area you will be traveling through. Most of the clubs will provide this list online. I have the list for Idaho in my 4Runner at all times.

I like the idea of obtaining gps coordinates for the repeater locations. You can plug them into the gps and determine the distance to the repeater to see if you are in range. This is often information that is not freely shared, but I think a phone call to a local club explaining the purpose of the request would yield the information.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The artsci repeater map-book is an incomplete but reliable source of available repeaters. They only list repeaters whose information is kept current. I prefer this as it gives a good first pass at the repeaters that are likely to be up and running. http://www.artscipub.com/mapbook/

One argument for running APRS in the truck is that many repeaters broadcast their location. You can use this information to know what repeaters are in the area. Carry an ARRL Repeater Directory to get the information necessary to connect. http://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Repeater-Directory-2007-2008-Arrl/dp/0872599906

saburai

Explorer
Read it all! Now I have questions...

Hi Gang!

I just finished reading this excellent and informative thread.
Now I'm more confused than ever :)

However, my plan is shaping up, hopefully with some help from you guys I'll make the right decisions!

First step was to poke around on the 'net looking at radios and stuff.

My second step will be to get a subscription to Ham test online and start working with that.

Next step seems to be the most problematic. What gear to get??

I definitely have a WTSHTF/bug out mentality, so if some of my ideas seem a bit off, please try to remember my SOP.

At first I was thinking that all I would need would be a good multi band, tough hand held like the Yaesu VX-7R. I love my XJ and all it provides, but I want the "grab and go" option if the truck for some reason becomes a non viable option. I was thinking that with the right antenna, remote mike, remote speaker, power cord and mount it would be GTG in the truck and I could just pull it and put it in the pack for hiking or what ever else the need might be.

Then I thought "two would be better!" - Marketa and I travel as a team, staying in touch is a good thing...

More time reading led me to my current thinking that having just handhelds limits us quite a lot. Now I'm thinking that a hand held and a high powered rig in the truck with repeater capability to boost the HT would be the way to go.

I don't know much at all about which frequencies are the best for different uses, in fact, I'm pretty much talking out of my butt since most of this "plan" is not based on any in depth knowledge...

Help:coffee:

emohn

Observer
Handhelds don't work nearly as well inside of vehicles as a permanently mounted unit with a proper antenna. There are great recommendations in here for 2m and dual band units for not-a-lotta-money. If you're set on buying two units, make one a vehicle mounted setup and one a hand held. The rest of your plan (studying online, looking at gear - used gear especially, and studying some more) looks solid.

Jerseytaco

Observer
Just passed Tech test!!!:victory: Easier than I thought. Now next step is choosing a radio.

Just recieved my call sign
KC2WAO

Last edited:

w squared

Observer
I definitely have a WTSHTF/bug out mentality, so if some of my ideas seem a bit off, please try to remember my SOP.

Then I thought "two would be better!" - Marketa and I travel as a team, staying in touch is a good thing...

More time reading led me to my current thinking that having just handhelds limits us quite a lot. Now I'm thinking that a hand held and a high powered rig in the truck with repeater capability to boost the HT would be the way to go.

I don't know much at all about which frequencies are the best for different uses, in fact, I'm pretty much talking out of my butt since most of this "plan" is not based on any in depth knowledge...

Help:coffee:

I'm also shopping for a mobile rig at the moment. It sounds like you are starting to sort out what is important to you in terms of capabilities...and that's important. I may own a rig that is PERFECT for me...but it may be next to useless for you if our needs are different.

For my money, something like the Yaesu FT8800 or FT8900 would be a good VHF mobile. It will give you VHF and UHF coverage, the ability to cross-band repeat (meaning use it as a "booster" for your handhelds), and is essentially two receivers in one box. That means that you can scan a variety of local frequencies at the same time that you are continuously monitoring a certain special frequency (a local repeater, or one that you are expecting someone to call you on)

Understand that this is not an HF setup though - you will are not likely to get much in the way of truly long distance communication on frequencies this high without the use of repeaters and other goodies.

If you do want to have truly long-range communication in your bag of tricks, that would require something more than the basic license and a more complex and expensive radio like the IC706 or a Yaesu FT857 - and also a LOT more in the way of antenna and mounting issues.

Also bear in mind that even a $1500 first-rate mobile all-band radio that covers every transmitting mode on every amateur band still probably won't do some of the neat tricks that the specialized VHF and UHF radios can do...or at least won't do them as easily.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I run the Yeasu FT890r great radio,also purchase the software and programming cable well worth the money.Alot faster to program then using the front knobs.

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
WOW!! Talk about opening up a door and stepping into a whole new world.

I was looking for info on installing a CB in the truck, so I clicked on this thread.

I've now read every page, took a full page worth of notes on things to looks up to study more on and feel like I just uncovered a world I never knew existed

Thanks guys, I find it so fun to learn new things

rambrush

Adventurer
As you are now aware the Tech level is fairly easy to obtain. You would be able to use a radio with 100 watts vs 4-5 on cb.
Hopefully you are hooked and come on board with amateur radio.

WOW!! Talk about opening up a door and stepping into a whole new world.

I was looking for info on installing a CB in the truck, so I clicked on this thread.

I've now read every page, took a full page worth of notes on things to looks up to study more on and feel like I just uncovered a world I never knew existed

Thanks guys, I find it so fun to learn new things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach