2wd lift options and quailty?

MtbNut

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here on the Portal. I have been driving Toyota Tundras since 2001 and currently own a 2006 4x4 crew. I still really like the Tundra but have been thinking about a van lately. I used to own a 1998 E-250 EB w/5.4 that I ordered new and had Quigley installed 4x4. I finished the interior myself with a bed, bike racks and a bench seat inside the stock shell. (sorry,the pics are not digital) I sold it after three years of daily driving and it made good sense at the time. The biggest thing I miss is being able to stop and sleep without any setting up.

I recently ran across a van for sale that is a lifted 2wd with an ARB air locker out back. I think the lift is an Action Van kit and everything looks solid. I have always questioned my need for 4wd and this may be an option. The only place I feel that 4wd really helps for what I do is slick and steep snow/ice covered roads. The locker could come into play if you get stuck. Plus, I like do my "wheeling" on two wheels. :bike_rider:

Does anyone have experience with the Action Van 2wd lifts? Ride, durability and quality?

Thanks in advance!
MTBnut.

Edit: It is great to see all of the U-joint 4x4 conversions going on. Options are good.

Last edited:

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Everything I've seen/ read about Action Van's lift has been positive. The only caution is if the van has RSC, then the longer/ drop pitman arm used in the kit becomes an issue. It can cause the RSC to activate at strange times.

MtbNut

RSC issue.

Thanks for the replies. That kind of information is exactly why I enjoy forums like this. I will need to find out if the van has RSC and exactly what lift it has. There are a few other issues that I know of with the van that I can deal with. The stability control system fighting an aftermarket bolt on is not something I want to get into.

Have a great weekend!

1sweetvan

Adventurer
From what I've read, only passenger vans had full RSC starting in 2006. Some cargo vans had partial RSC, meaning the throttle cut but no automatic brake actuation. Starting in 2009, all vans have full RSC and AdvanceTrac.

I've read that the Camburg bent beam lift is prone to bump steer.

MtbNut

From what I've read, only passenger vans had full RSC starting in 2006. Some cargo vans had partial RSC, meaning the throttle cut but no automatic brake actuation. Starting in 2009, all vans have full RSC and AdvanceTrac.

I've read that the Camburg bent beam lift is prone to bump steer.

The van is at a Ford dealer used, so they did not have much information about it. I went to Camburg's web site and it looks like it may actually be one of their lifts. The parts list is nice with Camburg prerunner bumper + lights, AR Mojave with 315 BFG AT's + spare on back, ARB locker with on board air etc. Tempting on the surface...

On the flip side, it is not in excellent condition for a two year old vehicle. The top looks like someone walked on it, the rear door lock mechanisms are messed up. and some of the interior work looks hacked. It also just happens to be a 2009 with the electronic nannies to deal with. Plus a possible issue with bump steer if it is the bent beam lift. I wonder if that is why it got traded in?

I may end up with another van someday, but for now I will happily drive my Tundra. :smiley_drive:

Thanks!

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Several guys have been in this boat over the years, and decided to go with a partial 4x4 conversion instead of the 2wd lift. The math is pretty close, depending on whether you do the work yourself or not. And a partially converted van will have a higher resale value than a 2wd lift in most parts of the country.

Just a thought! :D

r_w

Adventurer
I will NEVER buy a lifted vehicle unless I am 100% confident in who built and installed it. I have seen way to many hacked installs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk