2WD Overland Thread

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I've used the smittybilt ones belonging to sparg93 on a trail ride down in Vermont with AA1PR. I'll probably buy a set or two of those, they are good for traction but I would not trust them to bridge anything. I was thinking of making a frame of angle iron and bolting to the underside.

I should have bought the set of ATV ramps that were discounted at harbour freight last time I was there, run a couple angle irons on the underside of them, they had awesome traction and were pretty cheap.

Weight is always a factor, I'm not too too concerned about that, as long as I can get them in and out of the truck. Speaking of which, pulling them out of the mud can be a chore, I can see why they would have teathers.

Xterraxplorer

I've looked at the ramps at Harbor Freight and my concern with those is flotation in sand. I thought about getting them and zip tying some plastic in the open spaces.

Xterraxplorer

Now onto the nasty part about 2wd's. I was stuck about a decade ago in my 2wd Frontier and had I had the 4x4, I could have easily driven out. I had been through the mud hole the day prior without any issues, but it was tore down about 28" deep where my tires were. All the digging in the world wouldn't have helped me out of this one. I had to be yanked out. It did make a nice little mess though.

Truck Stuck.jpg

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
You could have filled the holes with branches/logs/rocks and at the same time dug from the hight point in the center from the front bumper forward (or the other way, if going backwards). There is almost always an option when you don't have someone to yank you out.
From the setting in that picture, a winch might have done it too or even just a comealong. Obviously, if you do have a friend to "yank" you out, that is much easier and quicker.

Xterraxplorer

Yeah, that was taken in 2008 in the dead middle of North Carolina summer. To be quite honest, I was too lazy at that point to dig my way out. I've looked back on that learning experience often since then. I had the fancy tool kit, but no shovel, chains, tow strap, come along. Fast forward eight years and guess what I carry :coffeedrink: Changing gears slightly, has anyone looked at setting up a 2wd only type club on here, or is that even possible?

thethePete

Explorer
There's a 2wd adendum in the Van section, but I don't think there's a general 2wd rig section...

Last edited:

Blazeoneagain

image.jpg

200,000 miles in 2 wheel drive. Lotsa dirt road miles.

Unless it's snow, a 2wd will get you just about everywhere.

Recovery gear is a must even with 4x4.

If you ask people who drive/own a 4x4 how often they use it and how,I would bet they didn't really need the 4x4 at the time.

I would need to use 4x4 25% of my annual mileage in order for it to be justified a necessity.

Besides, most factory 4x4 are really just 2x4 with one wheel doing nothin

2wd club !

ZMagic97

Explorer
View attachment 345940

200,000 miles in 2 wheel drive. Lotsa dirt road miles.

Unless it's snow, a 2wd will get you just about everywhere.

Recovery gear is a must even with 4x4.

If you ask people who drive/own a 4x4 how often they use it and how,I would bet they didn't really need the 4x4 at the time.

I would need to use 4x4 25% of my annual mileage in order for it to be justified a necessity.

Besides, most factory 4x4 are really just 2x4 with one wheel doing nothin

2wd club !

Great looking Chevy!

Mr. Moore

Observer
One of the best bits of advice I would add, is that knowing how to use the throttle to your benefit. I encountered the dreaded wet grass with my 2wd dually, but I just took it real easy on the throttle until I got moving and then increased it. On the same token on loose gravel sometimes I have to give it extra throttle on a steeper grade to get up. I should also mention that I still have BFG highway tires on the rear which doesn't help. Once they wear out I'll be upgrading to at least an aggressive A/T if not an M/T on the rear..

Xterraxplorer

M/T's on the rear are definitely worth the investment. I get criticized all the time for why I have muds on the back of a 2wd. Just having the extra traction has made a big difference several times. As far as a fuel economy difference.....I went from barely 19 mpg consistently to 18.5 mpg consistently (big drop right). Not having a front drive line also gives me the ability to go lock to lock on the front end without twisting the driveline. I've always been curious if an independent left and right side brake setup would work the same on a truck as it does a tractor. It's also been my experience that I can back out when forward momentum is lost. I make sure to avoid spinning whenever possible. Setting the E-brake half way down never hurts either. Changing gears slightly, how would we start a 2wd only section? I'm sure there are some pre-runner guys running around that would like to join.

Shagaroo

SE Expedition Society
After years of owning Tacoma's I have found I rarely put it in 4WD. In the south I have to actively look for those areas and they almost always involve mud which I avoid like the plague.

I lost my Xterra to a distracted driver in January. Ever since I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide what to get to replace it. I came to this same realization and am moving to a 2WD later today. A Dodge Durango. We seldom have snow, usually ice, and I don't know the last time I used 4WD other than one time when we had snow for about 3 hours before it melted. Watching the Crown Vic in MOAB video again really sealed it for me.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
M/T's on the rear are definitely worth the investment. I get criticized all the time for why I have muds on the back of a 2wd. Just having the extra traction has made a big difference several times. As far as a fuel economy difference.....I went from barely 19 mpg consistently to 18.5 mpg consistently (big drop right).

I had some gnarly mudgrips on the back of my 2wd 69 GMC. With a 6cyl and 3 on the tree, it was easy to baby through thick woods. It would sink to the axles in mud, but the mudgrips would dig a hole as fast as you wanted. The tricky part is keeping vehicle speed and wheel speed through mud. If you can skate through it, you'll make it. Stop, and you're screwed.

That truck did a lot with mud tires on the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob