2wd to 4x4 conversion question for you van guys?

chasespeed

Explorer
I would start with actually building a van, then you'll have a better idea of the total cost & time/work involved. There's a reason we don't see many GM 4x4 vans, the frames are much harder to work with. Especially if you want to keep the van low. (most guys do)

That being said, i love my express van that i have for work.... but, there really isnt anything available that is remotely cost effective.

As it stands, the truck is for sale.... just too much everything, and i cant even take my kids... hence the van hunt.... once the truck is gone......

Chase

r_w

Adventurer
Making a Cummins swap kit would have a lot of interest IMO. Or a kit to convert an F-series 7.3 to fit the vans.

The 4x4 Ford space is pretty crowded.

If you can get me a 15 passenger van that can get 25+ mpg when mildly loaded, I am THERE.

MrBeast

Explorer
That being said, i love my express van that i have for work.... but, there really isnt anything available that is remotely cost effective.

As it stands, the truck is for sale.... just too much everything, and i cant even take my kids... hence the van hunt.... once the truck is gone......

Chase

Why not build a van trailer? Get a clean late 80's-early 90's van, cut it off just in front of the B-pillar and close it in, have all the amenities of a van with out having to give up your truck. I know if you sell that Cummins you will wind up regreting it.

MrBeast

Explorer
Making a Cummins swap kit would have a lot of interest IMO. Or a kit to convert an F-series 7.3 to fit the vans.

The 4x4 Ford space is pretty crowded.

If you can get me a 15 passenger van that can get 25+ mpg when mildly loaded, I am THERE.

If I was going to take on such a project id need to find some one who was interested who had the van and the funds, it is certanly within the scope of what I am capable of, it would be a very interesting experince.

chasespeed

Explorer
Why not build a van trailer? Get a clean late 80'
PHP:
s-early 90's van, cut it off just in front of the B-pillar and close it in, have all the amenities of a van with out having to give up your truck. I know if you sell that Cummins you will wind up regreting it.

The issue is passenger space. reg cab truck, and family of 4.... maybe 5 at soke ponit. Can put passengers in a trailer...

r_w

Adventurer
If I was going to take on such a project id need to find some one who was interested who had the van and the funds, it is certanly within the scope of what I am capable of, it would be a very interesting experince.

IF I had the funds I would have already paid for someone to do it. Since I don't, I was hoping for someone else to debug it and come up with the "kit." I am more mechanically inclined than average in the US, but not for here.

:smiley_drive:

MrBeast

Explorer
The issue is passenger space. reg cab truck, and family of 4.... maybe 5 at soke ponit. Can put passengers in a trailer...

I hear you there. Could always yank the cummins out of the truck and put it in a 72 Burban, then it would be a win all the way around! :victory:

MrBeast

Explorer
IF I had the funds I would have already paid for someone to do it. Since I don't, I was hoping for someone else to debug it and come up with the "kit." I am more mechanically inclined than average in the US, but not for here.

:smiley_drive:

I hear you there. Since I already have a 72 Chevy K30, 51 Willys Wagon, and a 79 Trans AM in que to be built, something tells me if I offer a kit for a van im going to have to find some one who really wants a 4x4 and already has a van.

Not that I wouldnt want to build my own van, because that would be very cool, expecially if I could find an old getaway van like my grandpa and grandma used to have.

chasespeed

Explorer
I hear you there. Could always yank the cummins out of the truck and put it in a 72 Burban, then it would be a win all the way around! :victory:

I would... but, being in the land of emissions, it isnt always that simple... Oh well...

Chase

EDITPrime Suburban

PERFECT truck for a swap....

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
I'm interested in both a 4x4 swap and cummins swap kit/parts for a chevy van (1980)

I would say, while nothing is impossible... it will be EXTREMELY difficult to stuff a cummins in a van period... why Dodge never did.

Its LONG and TALL. Not something for a constricted engine compartment...

NOW, the 3.3 or 3.9 Cummins 4BT would be a little less tough... but, only on the length... since its about the length of a V8(give or take)...

Take that, while converting the Chevy to 4x4, you have to make the engine crossmember lower profile to clear the axle...

I dont like saying it almost isnt worth trying.... but, I think in this case... that is the direction I would lean. Only way to tell for sure, is dimmensions..

I can say this, my 6BT takes up a LOT more space than a 360 in gasser... it actually looks STUFFED in the truck...

My 2 cents
Chase

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I do not know about chevy vans but they have been put in ford vans before.
I am looking at doing on in a ford van when time permits.

That One Guy

Adventurer
Beast, I think this is a great idea. As long as you don't start planning your life around this, there is no way you can lose. Just build quality parts that work, for those of us like me who have ZERO aftermarket support for their GM or Chrysler vans. I for one would definitely be interested. That being said, I am already making/going to make all of my parts because there AREN'T any companies like you would like to start. If you got it going fast enough, I'd be your first customer.

Don't get me wrong, I love making my own stuff, but when it comes to suspension, that's where I get off the DIY boat. That's why I'm doing leaves. If you were to design a front coil over suspension that would be great. Help out us unibody guys.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I do not know about chevy vans but they have been put in ford vans before.
I am looking at doing on in a ford van when time permits.

I'm starting to think that the Ford Cummins Van is an urban legend! Been hearing about it for years, but no pics/details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater