3500 RAM Prospector + Alu Cabin + Custom Bed

UglyViking

This is the closest thing to a fair test you can find. The Bilstein's seem do do ok.
I've not watched that video, but it appears their discussion is largely around a Taco? A Taco has about as much in common with a solid axle Diesel 3500 as a BMW 3 series.

Again, I don't have a breakdown with a bunch of testing, I've not owned Bilstein shocks on a truck for quite some time. I wasn't a fan of how they performed on my GM 1500 or my Jeep. I liked them better on the cars I had when I was younger.

YMMV, it's just my personal opinion.

The large negative offset, and how the modifications stood up above everything, they didn't blend well with the trucks IMO. Didn't drive them, so I can speak about the drive quality.
I can't speak to what you saw, but if it's guys with 24" wheels that are 14" wide, then yeah it's not "our" crowd. Go look at some of the rigs that CJC puts out, or check out the Dodge Trucks Xtreme group on FB.

What I’m waiting for is the effing shock industry to get us into this century.

If I can have electronic control of my compression, rebound ,ride height and with programmable functions for different conditions with a 6 axis IMU that helps dictate/ control those functions in a motorcycle that ranges in price 15-30 grand… where the ******** are our options? Drop 80-90K on a truck and you get a shock that is none adjustable, springs that are so, so and that’s it… pathetic.
Carli has those new eventure shocks that look pretty dope. 2.5" body with Carli valving and custom profiles with the 6-axis you mentioned. Cost is up there but prob a pretty solid option.

hdas

I've not watched that video, but it appears their discussion is largely around a Taco? A Taco has about as much in common with a solid axle Diesel 3500 as a BMW 3 series.

The video caught my attention due to its blind testing method of various shocks, all specifically tuned for the same vehicle model. This approach ensures a direct, fair comparison. While the test involved a Tacoma, the focus here is on the comparative performance of the shocks, making the vehicle model secondary. Yet, you seem to suggest that if the same test were conducted with a RAM 3500, the outcomes might differ. Could you shed light on why you believe so? Keep in mind, I'm primarily interested in the relative differences between the shocks, keeping other factors constant.

Is it possible that mixing different components might lead to varied results across brands? Nevertheless, I'd argue that one should be able to design an experiment that isolates and measures just the shock performance.

Last edited:

renottse

Carli has those new eventure shocks that look pretty dope. 2.5" body with Carli valving and custom profiles with the 6-axis you mentioned. Cost is up there but prob a pretty solid option.
We’ll now, ask and you shall receive, hadn’t seen those, I’ll give them some research, thanks for the heads up…

Back to @hdas…

An unintended advantage of the airbag control is you can actually affect how the truck drives in various situations.

It’s not massive but by raising the rear you put more weight forward and vice versa with sagging… I’m a motorcycle rider and know the effects on handling if you don’t do sag adjustments with loads on the back, same with fork height in the triple clamp, it all has an effect.

AEV accounting for some unknown load, less likely, it’ll be some range.

I’ve got 6000 lbs total rear axle weight when loaded, I’d hazard a guess this isn’t in their range. You should be lighter so maybe your good, ask what load range they designed it for.

Eventually you’ll want some adjustment. Compression, you should be good up front with the right shim stack and it’s a function of your velocity.

I’ve got rebound adjustment which is useful for rocky, shale conditions where you want less damping so the wheel gets back to the surface quicker, rolling freeway slow it down so it’s less reactive.

Me I’d put all my weight on, run that, take notes, put wheel and tires on run that take notes, then lift and suspension run that, take notes.

An observation, AEV wheels.

Out back no problems plenty of clearance brake caliper to rim.

Up front almost nothing so, your wheel guy is not carful placing weights you’re ripping them off or they scrape. And, if you run a lot of two lane dirt at a pace you’re going to have some sweat inner rim gouges from stones, 18” is going to be better.

ramblinChet

I always smile when the AEV haters begin their meaningless attacks on the premier overland vehicle outfitter.

I'll be waking up early to begin exploring the 580+ mile Georgia Adventure Trail in my AEV Prospector. I adventure and explore full time and love every minute of it. Many times, after a long day on the trail climbing through the mountains and crossing streams, I stop to think of the AEV haters, and smile as warm sun blankets my skin, the wind softly blows through the trees, birds sing happy songs, a babbling brook creates a never-ending melody...

...and I know, that they don't know, and I really don't care :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

UglyViking

The video caught my attention due to its blind testing method of various shocks, all specifically tuned for the same vehicle model. This approach ensures a direct, fair comparison. While the test involved a Tacoma, the focus here is on the comparative performance of the shocks, making the vehicle model secondary. Yet, you seem to suggest that if the same test were conducted with a RAM 3500, the outcomes might differ. Could you shed light on why you believe so? Keep in mind, I'm primarily interested in the relative differences between the shocks, keeping other factors constant.

Is it possible that mixing different components might lead to varied results across brands? Nevertheless, I'd argue that one should be able to design an experiment that isolates and measures just the shock performance.
My point is that there are dramatic enough differences between a Taco and a Ram HD that just because one brand performed well one one style of truck, doesn't mean it will on every style. You may find that the Bilsetin shocks work well for your application, I haven't run them on the Ram HD but I had them on my GM 1500 as I mentioned, and I disliked them.

Here is a good example of my point. BFG KO2s are pretty well loved and respected in the offroad world. I've run them on multiple older vehicles including a wrangler JK and they performed well. I was looking at buying them for my Ram HD, but many guys were complaining that the tires wouldn't last past 20k. Turns out they later updated their rubber compound for larger tires to account for the additional weight of these larger trucks, but initially they were using the same compound on a 33" as a 37".

My point with that story is that the KO2s were fantastic on my wrangler, but according to many reports they were way way too soft on the Ram HD. Same exact tire, different outcome. I realize that the socks have allegedly been tuned per truck and all that, but it's a specialty thing. Again, and I can't stress this enough, if you want the Bilsteins, buy em. I'm just saying that I feel there are better options based off my reading on forums, FB groups, youtube, etc. over the past 5 years for our trucks.

I always smile when the AEV haters begin their meaningless attacks on the premier overland vehicle outfitter.
Haha, Chet you're a hoot. Your allegiance to AEV would make iPhone fanboys blush.

I commented you in here hoping you could do your usual comments to balance out. Up to you if you want to, I was just trying to give you the option as you normally are there to defend or sing AEVs praises in any thread anyway ;)

@hdas
There is a thread titled "AEV suspension discussion thread" on "that one ram hd forum" that I had started over a year ago. It's worth the read as myself and others discuss the suspension that AEV made for these trucks along with Chet and others.

renottse

@ramblinChet … respectfully,

With reference to AEV suspension, I break it into two distinct parts.

They’re lift and the solution for correcting spring alignment, steering and axle placement. Opinion after 60 k miles (60% dirt, 40% road) excellent, I never even think about it.

The shock absorbers. These are not AEV, yes they have an input into the range they should perform in, hence the specification. No shock can do it all ( read meet every expectation) so by inference some will accept the performance ( are happy) some will not ( are not happy).

We know, AEV knew there was room for improvement hence their work with Bilstien on the 8 series. Hats off to Dave and his crew for putting that effort in and being in the position to work with Bilstien.

I might be taking your sad face emoji the wrong way, however if it’s actually showing disappointment that I offer an opinion of only the shocks, then I would ask that you take the time to carefully re-read what I actually say and not infer what you think I’m saying.

Further on this, our man @hdas has put himself out there looking for advice with respect to his intended build. Some off us are sharing the WHY and HOW we decided to select what we did and “shock horror” give feedback on how it actually performed.

I view your story of complete and utter bliss with your solution (Well actually Dave’s and FWC’s) on his thread as dismissive and disrespectful of his concerns.

To end your story with;

“and I know, that they don't know, and I really don't care “

is at odds with two things…

One, I do know…

IMG_7214.jpeg

Two, you do care, immensely.

Have a great and safe trip on the GAT I look forward to your report and photos.

renottse

I can confirm @UglyViking ’s points on BFG KM2, they came fitted on our truck, completely dead at 25 K ( with camper on for 15K).

Lucked out with the TKO 3 having just become available, got 40 K out of those, currently got KM 3, wearing at a similar rate

hdas

I can confirm @UglyViking ’s points on BFG KM2, they came fitted on our truck, completely dead at 25 K ( with camper on for 15K).
Noted

We know, AEV knew there was room for improvement hence their work with Bilstien on the 8 series. Hats off to Dave and his crew for putting that effort in and being in the position to work with Bilstien.
I recently communicated with AEV regarding the issue with the lower mount. They informed me that they are introducing an additional welding point to address the problem some owners encountered. I'm contemplating the inclusion of the 8100's. It would be ideal to achieve the comfort similar to my 1999 Land Cruiser J100 series, although this might be a lofty expectation.

At present, my primary concern is how to transport my vehicle to AEV. Originally, I considered driving it, but upon reflection, shipping could be more economical, especially when accounting for potential lost work time. I have scheduled meetings with both Bowen and the Outfitter this week to discuss available options. Residing in the mountains means every descent to more populated areas is a significant commitment.

The package is looking like this:

1697563770552.png

@renottse Nice Truck! (y)

renottse

@hdas, can the concern about transport turn into an opportunity to answer a $ 2,140 question?

I’d be asking AEV to have a truck similar to yours fitted with the 8100’s available to test drive so you can back to back your truck over the same piece of road.

Then you’ll know and mentally you can offset the cost of time and travel, also you’ll have the opportunity confirm or dissuade yourself from AEV choice.

Personal opinion, I know after driving your rig out there , you’re going to like the AEV set up, it just works and “feels” normal.

Interested on your feedback of the shocks if you do go out there.

A perspective from my grandfather;

“ What should it be? What is it in reality?”

You could answer the second part with a trip out there and compare that with the first which is your planning.

hdas

Just clipping some interesting ideas found today:

Outside Bench Table

4a031e0b-eb2f-4114-9544-09a40d9d6d2e.jpeg

Truck Bed with Space for Galley

4734775a-8d0e-4e80-8f44-a47c61fb78cb.jpeg

Commercial Level Air Compressor

IMG_4121.jpeg

UglyViking

The half canopy with tray looks very appealing to me, but not sure how it would work for you if you plan a cap camper? I love the idea of having that big locking box storage, plus having open bed space for dirty items, a dirt bike, etc.

renottse

Outside bench table winner idea.

If that could run the full length of the bed and folds down and the twin doors on the side were a single door, opening up with ability to lock in the up position momma is getting close to functional cooking area… maybe the sink could swing out of the box one side and small fridge the other , shelves in middle for cooking stuff … don’t forget to put shade structure on that side.

Looks like someone put their tent on using the Bluetooth drive shaft app, should that not be facing the rear?

I digress, that too is a functional looking bed and there must be a way to integrate the available bed space as a staging area pre entry to the RTT?

Put the tent on top of the Cab? Steps up to the bed, steps up to the tent maybe, steps just fold flat on bed and up flat against tool box.

Interesting stuff to look at.

hdas

The Mitts Alloy beds are interesting, the problem for us is that the Canopy is a minimum of 3ft, leaving little room for the "first floor" room, potentially.

1697597039545.png

They also have an ok option for slide in campers, but they eat a lot of the inside room.

1697597082335.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner