3500 RAM Prospector + Alu Cabin + Custom Bed

renottse

With Mitts being out of Australia and just selling a preconfigured boxes this idea may not be an option… their rear section seems larger (probably just camera angle) but could the area in red

IMG_7215.jpeg

Be turned into the slide out? You could even keep the side openings giving you multiple access points… slide out both sides?

hdas

There are several good looking, functional solutions. The big restriction we have, is how do we get to separate sleeping environments?

1697646726044.png

In the Alu Cabin during nighttime, the setup goes like this: The baby's bedtime is around 6:30. We arrange everything on the lower level - the heater, sound machine, pack and play. Once everything's set, we close up the camper, ensuring we've got all we need outside. Then, it's our time to relax outdoors. When it's our turn to sleep, we discreetly climb the ladder and settle into the rooftop tent. I'm still searching for another camper, whether it's a slide-on or topper, that offers this kind of setup.

UglyViking

In the Alu Cabin during nighttime, the setup goes like this: The baby's bedtime is around 6:30. We arrange everything on the lower level - the heater, sound machine, pack and play. Once everything's set, we close up the camper, ensuring we've got all we need outside. Then, it's our time to relax outdoors. When it's our turn to sleep, we discreetly climb the ladder and settle into the rooftop tent. I'm still searching for another camper, whether it's a slide-on or topper, that offers this kind of setup.
Don't most bed cap/camper setups offer a lower and upper level and a zipper opening of some sort? I'd assume this is pretty possible with most of the wedge style campers?

hdas

Don't most bed cap/camper setups offer a lower and upper level and a zipper opening of some sort? I'd assume this is pretty possible with most of the wedge style campers?
Yes, all of them are a lower level variation of the AluCabin setup I described. I was referring to something different outside that format. By lower level I mean:

- Less integrated solutions (water, electricity)
- Less seal against dust

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Just out of curiosity why not a FWC or similar pop up where the dinette turns into a bed?

It'll be tricky trying to open / close the door and get into bed without waking a baby that you have to climb over to access your bed.

hdas

It'll be tricky trying to open / close the door and get into bed without waking a baby that you have to climb over to access your bed.
Precisely, I like how that Project M fits with the bed Bowen bed though. We need to explore this further with the wife. It doesn't help that we are very strict with the baby schedule. She has a 2h nap + 12/13h overnight. Having the baby go to sleep early is a +++ for adult life after 7pm. I'd like to keep it that way as long as I can.

COAKXterra

There are several good looking, functional solutions. The big restriction we have, is how do we get to separate sleeping environments?

View attachment 801540

This is the exact tactic we tried with our habitat and infant/toddler. Had an external side ladder up to the zippered “loft” door for the wife and I and the dogs would go into their area in the back seat of the truck

Worked pretty decently except that the pack n play took up a huge part of the floor which blocked access to our “cabinet unit “ or more importantly until our kiddo would need cuddles at any time of the night/morning. Then having an infant/toddler up in the narrow loft became a bit of a space constraint, and as I’m sure you know… the smaller the co-sleep space, the more likely baby yoga will occur with kicks direct to the face. We (or at least one of us) also would then be trapped up there until she was ready to get up since nothing about having an infant/toddler up in the habitat loft alone with a potential 5ft BASE jump to the truck bed floor gave us warm-fuzzies. We literally tried EVERYTHING from strapping baby gates in place to cargo nets. I was even trying to built a better shelf for her to sleep securely in, etc. Hence why we are back on the ground for now.

At least the pack and play is gone though!! (Insert happy dance here)
2FF92866-B9F3-49E8-AA24-5ABAEDAE7C6B.jpeg

hdas

Am I correct in thinking the Alucab has internal access between the "levels". ?
Correct
I'm not clear on your plans for removing off season, if it was just the roof tent of the whole canopy unit.
If I go with the AluCab, I'm thinking about renting a parking space from a neighbor that's never home. They have two huge full Size RV parking slots nobody uses. Getting a hang of the owners/property managers is going to be the challenge.

Is it possible to do a canopy with a removable RTT but still have internal access ?
Not with AluCabin, perhaps other options where there's not access between the levels.

hdas

the smaller the co-sleep space
We haven't done any co-sleeping yet. At some point this will make everything easier or perhaps just different. It feels confortable knowing somebody else went through the same predicament, thanks for sharing your experience. Cute kid!

COAKXterra

Thanks. It’s got plus/minus marks for sure. We tried to avoid cosleep as long as we could camping (and in general) for many reasons, but in the end had to cave. Lots of our family camping in these first few years have been at designated campgrounds, which means neighbors. And no one wants upset infants/toddlers, so cosleeping ended up being our move to help that. Generally pretty good by herself, but pretty much every night out between the hours of 2-5am… had to keep the peace, you know?

Totally happy to share my experience. As I said in your other thread, we did two steps forward and another back. If our experience helps, great. If not, no biggie. Still excited to see where you take this.

5 yrs from now and more money in the disposable account might mean we will be on a new build trajectory (flat bed camper 😍) but just not now, especially while we are still learning the ins/outs of being outdoor parents. Take for instance now that we are potty training… haha. The fun never stops.

OVRLNDFX4

I would also explore the idea of the FWC project M if you dont mind customizing it to your specific needs. It comes in at a lower weight that the alucab and has much more useable space top up and even in king bed mode esp with the 6ft bed or longer with the RAM. I have one on my 19 F150 and love the useable space and full bed access. Were small people so we configured the bed to a smaller size and have lots of room "downstairs" while having the bed out. If need be we could use the full almost King bed but its not needed at our size. pros/cons. I do like the alucab and went and saw it personally at Tinyrig near where we live but ultimately decided on the ProjectM due to its more useable space and endless customization. Just my $.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner