3500 RAM Prospector + Alu Cabin + Custom Bed

hdas

Some miscellaneous thoughts:

1. The ultimate Bowen Custom bed for us would include: Space for galley next to the cabin, fit an AluCabin and some internal structure to replace Goose Gear, which it apparently necessitates the normal full bed size inside in order to fit some metal plates. 1697721674633.png
  2. Goose Gear cabinetry.....Does anybody know other high quality replacement options?
  3. A hidden cost of the AEV package is the value of the parts they strip to replace: Wheels, Tires, Bumpers ($700-$1500)
  4. To file under future upgrades, I found this nice outside window options for the AluCabin 1697722076782.png
  5. I can see how the price of the AluCabin is a deterrent. This is the estimate for our build. It doesn't include Fridge yet
1697722349346.png

Finally, Some of the cost of the Bowen Bed can be taken out from other components that were already accounted for: Rear AEV bumper ($1896), Goose Gear ($5990, $750). Every penny counts.

UglyViking

Bowen has done slim front garages on flatbed builds (see below).

)

I see no reason he can't also do that for a "topper bed". Note that if you go down that path you're going to need to extend the bed to around 7.5-8ft in order to fit a standard size alucab topper. Perhaps you can instead do an alucab from a 1500 series truck with a 5.5 bed. A little less interior space but it would keep the bed from being too long.

Edit: formatting.

OVRLNDFX4

1. The ultimate Bowen Custom bed for us would include: Space for galley next to the cabin, fit an AluCabin and some internal structure to replace Goose Gear, which it apparently necessitates the normal full bed size inside in order to fit some metal plates. View attachment 801649
  2. Goose Gear cabinetry.....Does anybody know other high quality replacement options?
  3. A hidden cost of the AEV package is the value of the parts they strip to replace: Wheels, Tires, Bumpers ($700-$1500)
  4. To file under future upgrades, I found this nice outside window options for the AluCabin View attachment 801650
  5. I can see how the price of the AluCabin is a deterrent. This is the estimate for our build. It doesn't include Fridge yet
View attachment 801652

Finally, Some of the cost of the Bowen Bed can be taken out from other components that were already accounted for: Rear AEV bumper ($1896), Goose Gear ($5990, $750). Every penny counts.

Not sure if its included now but before they would also charge for the installation/sealing of the camper. What started out as an "affordable" option went too high with all the dest/install/sealing/fit kit fees. They are a great camper though. Just priced a bit higher for us. Now in hindsight, we have more useable living space with the camper. Weight is a wash if not slightly lighter with the M. Looks of either are a personal preference. Both are excellent options. with the M you have to seal it up your self though.

OVRLNDFX4

1. The ultimate Bowen Custom bed for us would include: Space for galley next to the cabin, fit an AluCabin and some internal structure to replace Goose Gear, which it apparently necessitates the normal full bed size inside in order to fit some metal plates. View attachment 801649
  4. To file under future upgrades, I found this nice outside window options for the AluCabin View attachment 801650
View attachment 801652

Check out VECEL usa. hes making custom interior kits for different campers.

hdas

Note that if you go down that path you're going to need to extend the bed to around 7.5-8ft in order to fit a standard size alucab topper. Perhaps you can instead do an alucab from a 1500 series truck with a 5.5 bed
I think the problem could be the width, but definitely worth inquiring. Thanks.

UglyViking

I think the problem could be the width, but definitely worth inquiring. Thanks.
The width of a Ram 1500 should be the same as a Ram 2500, I'd assume others are similar. Width isn't as big a deal on the 1500+ platforms vs the midsize (midsize trucks are more narrow, Fullsize/HD trucks generally share the same or similar cab sizes and bed sizes, with length being the primary difference).

hdas

Progress on this venture often feels like a process of elimination. Bad ideas fall by the wayside, while only the essential components and setups remain. Yesterday, we made significant strides, thanks to some enlightening visits. We spent time with the outfitter and had a valuable chat with Brent Bowen, who's genuinely a stand-up guy. There's something about speaking directly to an owner rather than a sales representative — you gain richer insights and a palpable sense of commitment. Here’s a rundown of the progress we made:

• The AluCab Khaya, while initially intriguing for its detachability, has been taken off our list. Its size, more suited to midsize trucks, felt constraining, and concerns arose about its internal temperatures during hotter days. In short, it just wasn't the best use of our truck's ample bed space.
  • The plan to fit a 37" tire under the bed has been shelved. Despite its technical feasibility, it would position the tire too low, risking potential damage.
  • On the other hand, we've firmly decided on the Alu-Cabin. No more distractions or second-guessing. Its exceptional build quality, practicality, and a wide array of compatible accessories sealed the deal for us.
  • We would prefer a 90L fridge and a dual system.
1697817384052.png

Here's where it gets more complicated, bed options:

• Goose Gear Storage System: The bed is not compatible with Goose Gear, so we would have to go custom. We like their sleeping platform system. So, with a custom approach, our aim would be to emulate that core functionality. One viable approach is teaming up with Bowen to craft some aluminum panels, then working to mirror the bed platform and integrate storage solutions ourselves. After thorough research, it's clear there's no real competition to Goose Gear in the market. Finally, the other restriction for the sleeping plattaform is the height of the fridge or any other item you want to keep there. It has to be under 19". (See fridge options specifications)
  • Kitchen Setup: Should we opt for a kitchen galley, it's clear we'd need to go all-in on a custom solution from Bowen. The 'garage' space in their bed design accommodates 15" width. We require an additional 5". There's still research to be done on what extending the bed length, potentially by 10-20 inches, would entail.

The Not-So-Fun Part: Budget and Schedule (please note, the following details need confirmation and will likely necessitate a follow-up meeting with Bowen):

1697817157520.png

One option is to delay the bed upgrade, see how things pan out, and decide later. I'm leaning towards this approach. That said, considering the current incompatibility with Goose Gear and the rear bumper, taking action now could result in about $8k savings. This amount could then be reinvested in the bed project.
Within the next two weeks, we'll be settling on a decision. However, with every step, new queries pop up:
  1. Which Fly Fishing Rod Mount is recommended, and where's the ideal mounting spot?
  2. If sticking with the original bed, is it wise to think about a rear bumper equipped with a spare mount swing?
  3. Will the larger Dometic Fridge fit when placed lengthwise?
  4. The wife almost hit a deer with the Prius the other day so she is considering adding the brush guard, which adds another $1800 to the AEV package.
A note on budget:

It's often said that when budgeting for unfamiliar projects, a prudent approach is to double the initial budget as a cushion. We began this venture with an approximate budget of $70k. Though we casually mentioned that, upon deeper understanding, stretching to about $120k might be tolerable. These aren't strict financial limits but more of self-set boundaries. Even though we have the means, our nature leans towards frugality. Yet, when it comes to desires, we sometimes don't like making compromises. Now, things seem to be veering off track:

1697818599791.png

hdas

If you want a softer ride, well part of that will come from the additional sidewall and proper air pressure of a 37" on 17s or 20s, so you'll get that with AEV or whatever. For better articulation and speed performance, look to Thuren and Carli. Both will net you better suspension travel, both sell options for a lighter front swaybar, and both are loved by the Ram HD crowd.
Yesterday, I got the chance to sit in a "Prospector imitator" with a Carli Pin Top suspension, reportedly costing around $12k, and carrying a load of 1000-1500lbs. The difference between this and my stock truck was clear, even on regular roads. While the experience was informative, I find it hard to justify investing in this system through a regular outfitter. My inclination leans towards AEV. Still, for clarity's sake (and to convince my wife), I need to objectively explain my preference for AEV over the Carli/Thuren options. I'll be sharing my thoughts here or perhaps in a new or existing thread. If only I could also test-drive a Prospector with 37" tires for a more comprehensive comparison.

On a side note, I also saw a Prospector XL. I LOVE THE LOOK OF THOSE WHEELS!!!!. However, even stretching my creativity, I don't think I can really come up with good reasons to do this, besides the good looks, it seems to me that we are entering diminishing returns.

Pros:
  • Looks Awesome and Proportionate.
  • Perhaps better than 37" in 0.5% of realistic driving scenarios for my use case.
Cons:
  • Worse fuel efficiency
  • More noise
  • More expensive Tires
  • Less Payload Capacity

Last edited:

hdas

The last few days have been relatively quiet, but there are some notable developments to catch up on:

• It seems we're inching closer to blending the Goose Gear with a Bowen custom bed. The specifics? Still up in the air.
  • We're having to sideline the idea of an extended garage custom bed, narrowing our choices down to the topper bed or the traditional garage camper bed.
  • A slight snag with the custom bed – it means waving goodbye to our blindspot monitors.
  • On a brighter note, we've made our maiden purchase: a Winter Front Grill for a neat $148.33.
  • For now, we're leaning towards Mopar Side Steps. It’s not the rock-hard shield some might opt for, but it promises decent protection and crucial step functionality. And, at a fraction of the price and weight, it's a sweet deal. If our trails demand rock sliders in the future, we'll revisit.
  • The AEV brush guard isn’t making the cut – it's not really my aesthetic and feels like an overdo. Here’s hoping we don’t cross paths with a moose or deer. If we do, I guess our insurance will have some heavy lifting to do.
  • We are considering adding a Paint Protection Film. I saw a fellow Prospector owner dealing with the realities of scratches and rock chips and considering it necessary, a bit to late.
  • We are actively thinking about storage solutions for the back seat. The truck already comes with a plattaform to extend, once the seat is folded upwards.
1698165545086.png

However, we would have to install a latching mechanism and then we can use some light bags like these:

1698165613113.png
1698165644074.png
1698165673472.png

Courtesy of the esteemed Mr. @ramblinChet , here are some RAM + Alucabins from the last overlanding expo:

1698166202912.png

1698166234777.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner