4Runner or GX470?

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
how cool. hope someone sees you. could validate. maybe a selfie. you win. Toyota for me, even though I might have to mingle with a commoner in the lobby and they might have cash, gemeinsam.

Last edited:

gkcarmory

Observer
I don't do selfies and I don't post pictures of my kid on the web.. So like a real man take my word for it... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4runnerteq

Explorer
4runner over gx for me. I work at a dealer that services lexus and Toyota. Most of us in the service dept feel the runner is a more reliable and more trouble free than the gx. Yes, they made much the same but we just seem to see more goofy problems with the gx. And the air suspension, though easy to change out, there goes your plush ride back to a 4runner. Not that the runner has a bad ride, but somethen you paid for on the gx is now gone. Wife and I own a 2004 limited, v8 all wheel drive. Id pick it over any gx I've been around. As far as the lexus dealer service, that brings on a whole new level of butt kissing to the customer. Both are good vehicles overall, but Id go for the runner every time.

razzman1

Observer
So let's say I decided to go with the GX with the understanding that mod #1 would be a swap to coils--is there a complete kit for that (I don't really need any lift out of it)?

Honu

lost on the mainland
our Toyota dealer has these insane massage chairs and a food bar area etc..... :)

the massage chairs are awesome in there own private little room with TV just chill in those :)

as far as a kit ? no idea on the GX I know folks do them and thought you have to weld in some spring seats but I know quite a few folks do it

runnerxa

Yes there is a complete kit. Metaltech sells them or you can fabricate it yourself and order Prado 120 Springs. I had my air suspension crap out (leak in one of the air bag) on me at the most inopportune time. Swapped out to coil springs the week after that happened and never looked back. Btw, standard GX460 come with coil springs. Premium ones have air suspension.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

chmura

Adventurer
I personally would go with a GX460 as the 470 looks very very dated to me. The 2006+ 4runners look newer than the GX470's to me.

I like the look of the 2011-2013 GX460 much better. I almost got one last year. Since I have a rare 4th Gen 4runner Trail Edition I decided to keep the runner as the lexus has no rear locker and would be less capable off road than my 4runner.

gkcarmory

Observer
Off subject kind of(sorry OP).... My former co-worker had on of the trail edition like you(chmura) and it had a Trd super charger on it... He swears it came as a factory option.... I didn't know much about 4Runners(still really don't).. Any way... Just for the knowledge... Did it?!?!

photo nomad

Adventurer
Off subject kind of(sorry OP).... My former co-worker had on of the trail edition like you(chmura) and it had a Trd super charger on it... He swears it came as a factory option.... I didn't know much about 4Runners(still really don't).. Any way... Just for the knowledge... Did it?!?!

It's a dealer installed Toyota aftermarket product, not a factory option. Does not affect warranty if installed by the dealer.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
i dont know how a GX could be less reliable than a 4runner, all the electronics are Denso and or the same thing that is either in a 4runner or a Land Cruiser... so you are saying that the 4runners and land cruisers have the same problems then...

i work on my own vehicles for 90% of the work they need, occasionally ill take it to the dealer. both times i have been to the dealer with my Lexus i have had the best customer service i have ever experienced,i have worked at two BMW dealerships both with outstanding service reputations. anyhow i have always been provided with a loner car at no cost, snacks and coffee and they always leave a box of chocolates in the vehicle for me when i come to pick up my Lexus. for the extra $10/hr i pay in labor at the Lexus dealer compared to a Toyota dealer ill gladly take my GX to the Lexus dealer and get the free loaner(Toyota does not offer this). i think what the techs see more of is the typical Lexus owner is more snoody and pompous than a Toyota owner -hence the more butt-kissing that goes on at the Lexus dealer, and the owners typically have a much higher sense of self entitlement... they tend to nitpick and expect everything on the vehicle to be under warranty or last for ever, and or they dont want broken or non working parts on their cars, much more so than the typical Toyota owner. so thus you see the Lexus in more for little things, not to mention most Lexus owners are not mechanically inclined in the least nor do they know about up keep or basic maintenance. hence needing more repairs because of owner level neglect bla bla bla... i could go into the argument for pages, based on personal experiences i have had at BMW dealing with customers and their traits.

razzman1

Observer
Alright, I need your advice . I'm going to go take a look at this tomorrow: http://www.aamotorsales.biz/2975/2000-Toyota-4Runner-SR5-4x4-Loaded-NICE!

It's a little older and higher mileage than I wanted, but after spending some time here on this site, 167k miles doesn't scare me quite as much now. If it was your purchase (and of course assuming it has been properly maintained and is in good condition), and it was your family you were going to throw in it, would you feel comfortable throwing the gear in the back and taking your family on a trip with something this old?

Thanks!

Silver dude

Xplorer
As long as your family isn't to big a 3rd gen isn't a bad option. But, the Gen 4 gets big power and cargo upgrades. With that said they are fantastic little trucks my brother drives one has over 250k on it pretty much all original and drives like new. Before you buy confirm the timing belt has been changed it's a rather costly expense at the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77