4Runner Trail Edition

Hey just look at it this way guys, either way you go Rubi or 4runner (obviously a better choice because it has to start before you can take it offroad anywhere :smiley_drive:) They are both still a 110% better choice than any Land Rover model any way you look at it (I kid, I kid, I've been told I'm crazy enough to own one).

SeattleMike

Observer
The 5th Gen Trail Edition ran the Rubicon trail with Goodyear Mt-Rs and custom rock sliders, on a stock suspension/wheels/gears/etc. As far as most people are concerned, that justifies the comparisons. While there are plenty of differences between the JK Unlimited and a 5th Gen TE 4Runner, there are things that make the 5Th Gen Trail a better choice in some situations or for some people.

KDSS is an awesome feature that makes all the difference in on-road handling. Multiple power outlets (110v, USB, and 12v), Crawl Control, sliding tailgate window... and the ability to take the Rubicon Trail with only sliders and a tire upgrade are the first I'd mention, but then I'd compare cost of ownership, reliability, maintenance, etc., before I'd start declaring a winner.

If the only criteria is stock off-road ability, the Rubicon has an edge. But the moment you have to drive it on regular roads, in traffic, to the store... The Trail Edition overcomes that small off-road edge and becomes the obvious winner of a side-by-side stock-to-stock comparison.

FireGuy

Adventurer
I'm a diehard Toyota guy, but lets keep it real. Nobody except Toyota is taking a new "Trail Edition" on the Rubicon anytime soon. Of course it can make the Rubicon with just sliders and some MTR's when it is backed by Toyota. Who gives a damn when you have the full factory support behind you. So you bash in a door, so what. Bend a control arm, oh well. In the real world, where people have to pay for their Toyotas, running the Rubicon in a damn near stock IFS Toyota is damn bad idea. You will have expensive damage. You most likely will break parts. We should not start comparing "Trail Editions" with SWB Jeeps riding on dual locked solid axles running the Rubicon.

SeattleMike

Observer
I'm a diehard Toyota guy, but lets keep it real. Nobody except Toyota is taking a new "Trail Edition" on the Rubicon anytime soon. Of course it can make the Rubicon with just sliders and some MTR's when it is backed by Toyota. Who gives a damn when you have the full factory support behind you. So you bash in a door, so what. Bend a control arm, oh well. In the real world, where people have to pay for their Toyotas, running the Rubicon in a damn near stock IFS Toyota is damn bad idea. You will have expensive damage. You most likely will break parts. We should not start comparing "Trail Editions" with SWB Jeeps riding on dual locked solid axles running the Rubicon.

I wasn't comparing SWB Jeeps with 4Runners, I was specific: the Unlimited 4-door stretched out version.

And really, it's never a matter of "would", it's always a matter of "could". Few people actually challenge their notions of what their vehicle is capable of doing and instead rely on stats and other people's experience. Would I take a brand new vehicle on the Rubicon, Jeep or 4Runner or otherwise? Probably not. But the point is that I could, as already proven by others.

bcrez

Adventurer
My jeep was an '07, and you're right the Rubicon is an entirely different animal, but a recall a month gets old fast.

Wow. Sorry to hear your mishaps. Just out of curiosity, what year was your JK? I also ran a TJ and an XJ for awhile, and I sold mine for an '03 DC Tacoma, but I'm already missing my solid axles. Yes, I did a lot of maintenance to my Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket). If I had my druthers, I'd have bought a JK Rubicon. I think the Rubicon is an entirely different animal.

As far as this TE 5th gen 4Run is concerned, it might be a Wrangler competitor, but no way is this thing a Rubicon competitor. I don't see how you guys think this can compete with a Rubicon? There's no comparison when the Rubicon has solid axles front and rear, front and rear e-lockers, 32" BFG MT's stock, not to mention a lower price tag. How much would it cost you to put all that onto a TE 4Runner? They call this a "Trail Edition" and it comes with street tires? That's kind of a joke. If they want this truck taken seriously, they need to equip it that way. At least put some AT's on it! What are the other "offroad goodies" it comes with?

sandcrawler

Observer
Two full weeks with an exceptional vehicle.

There are a few glaring issues that put the credibility of the "Trail Edition" into question, but fortunately, not a super big deal to fix by the consumer. The comprehensive review will be out soon.

attachment.php
hey all,
first time posting, but i recognize a few folks from other Toyota forums... the overland build-up of the new 4Runner Trail Edition for SEMA inspired me to finally register here.

granted, asking "hey, whatever happened to...?" is pretty lame for a first post, but i'm wondering if the ExPo review of the Trail was ever posted. was the vehicle returned/taken back, or is it still be put through its paces?

thanks for all the inspiration that's been documented on this forum. some killer rigs represented here.

cheers.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
granted, asking "hey, whatever happened to...?" is pretty lame for a first post, but i'm wondering if the ExPo review of the Trail was ever posted. was the vehicle returned/taken back, or is it still be put through its paces?

Good question. That was about five months ago.

Skim

Explorer
new TE for the wife w/kdss paid 34K

hotter than hell, need A/C 24/7...went around a corner to fast according to toyota...thing starting locking up the brakes...freaked me out and almost sent me over the edge of a cliff.(shut off traction control ?? yes, user error..guilty)...tried out the Speed Control and Terrain Select...wife started yelling at me to shut it all down and bring it to the dealer for warranty...the noise the thing makes when using these controls is not for me, wife loves the truck like no other...that is all that matters. One TE that will never see the trail...

We did take a recent road trip in the TE, awesome highway cruiser, very comfortable (with a/c blasting) plenty of room and great gas millage for what it is...wife gets 22.7 average MPG with a yakima box on the roof. Great looks IMO and I am sure TOYOTA QUALITY !! 7.5K on the ODO

P5261210.jpg

Sounds like the Skid Control took over and saved your butt around the turn.
The Speed Control and Terrain Slect uses the ABS system to active the brakes to control wheel slip. The noise is the ABS actuator. Take your truck on some gravel and hit the brakes hard and activate ABS, you will heard the same sound coming from the actuator. Which will sound like it is behind the dash, and the brake pedal will buzz. Feels wierd at first - but then so does everything at first. Wheel it.

x32792

Adventurer
Glaring Issues?

Two full weeks with an exceptional vehicle.

There are a few glaring issues that put the credibility of the "Trail Edition" into question, but fortunately, not a super big deal to fix by the consumer. The comprehensive review will be out soon.

attachment.php
==
With my hand on my check book...Care to share the 'glaring issues' and the 'not a super big deal to fix' solutions?

John

Applejack

Explorer
Never mind a Rubicon, I doubt it will match any JK straight out of the box. Still a very nice truck though.

Ha Ha Ha!! Assuming we're talking off road ability my 3rd gen has out wheeled a stock JK Unlimited plenty of times (though it has always been the same stock JKU and the same driver). That being said I rented a JK Unlimited in Maui and was soooo irritated at it's lack of ground clearance.
And I'm just guessing that a 5th gen TE would out wheel my 3rd gen handily. And while the tires are puke many of the ones on stock JK's are worse. 225's c'mon you've got to be kidding.
Now a Rubicon.........that's a whole different story.
I'm no Jeep hater either I've owned several (5) and would love to own a nicely kitted JKU.

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
Affordability?

After reading this thread and getting myself all excited, I test drove a 2010 TE at my local dealer.

It's big, comfortable and has an instrument display you'd expect to see in a 747...Perhaps this aspect of the vehicle was magnified because my test drive was at night.

The 2010 TE I drove was twice the size of my current '01 TJ and had a wonderful ride reminiscent of previous Grand Cherokees I have owned...Maybe even a bit more comfortable, less noisy and smoother.

So, I'm thinking to myself, "OK, she's as big as a whale and won't go down any Florida National Forest rabbit holes, but what a dreamy machine to drive across America and out West where the trails are infinitely wide....."

Then I asked the affable salesman, "How much?"

"37 and change" was the reply.

Well now folks, that's a lot of cheese....A few bolt on's, an air freshener and we're talking 40 large.

If money is no issue, one heck of a nice (big and capable) rig.

John

Last edited:

SeattleMike

Observer
If money is no issue, one heck of a nice (big and capable) rig.

With taxes, title, and license in Washington it came to $43k. Part of the increase is the exchange rate, but 4Runners weren't all that cheap in the 90's either.

But you know... in 1985, a stripped down Toyota pick-up with no A/C, no stereo, and no power steering cost me five thousand dollars... and it is still running on the original driveline after 240k miles. If I get that from my TE, that $43k will seem like a bargain, but I'd never expect that kind of reliability from anything Chrysler has made.

x32792

Adventurer
With taxes, title, and license in Washington it came to $43k. Part of the increase is the exchange rate, but 4Runners weren't all that cheap in the 90's either.

But you know... in 1985, a stripped down Toyota pick-up with no A/C, no stereo, and no power steering cost me five thousand dollars... and it is still running on the original driveline after 240k miles. If I get that from my TE, that $43k will seem like a bargain, but I'd never expect that kind of reliability from anything Chrysler has made.

1084153973_ySK3p-L.jpg

I hear you and agree. The new Chrysler-Fiat Wranglers come with a gutless minivan 3.8L motor and are crap, but the Wrangler I have now did haul by old ashes this Spring over the eastern portion of the TAT, across UT, NV and back to Florida without a complaint....And it's paid for. I'm hoping to do the Mojave Road this coming Spring and gawd willing, I'll do it in my old stock and unlocked TJ.

John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online