4runner vs. cherokee XJ?

raven1911

Observer
I am contemplating both for a daily driver and weekend vehicle for the family camping, fishing, hiking, mt biking, off roading (not extreme rock crawling), shooting, just have fun with the famly, etc. I have boiled it down to both of these cars. My budget is small at $4500 or less. I have done some research on both but wonder what you all think? I am consdering the 91-97' XJ and the 2nd or 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner (prob 96' would be what I could afford. The unibody of the Jeep scares me a little but I am not sure if I am being unrealistic. I love the look of the slightly lifted Jeep with 32" to 33" tires. I am good with my mechanic ability and am familiar around cars but not Jeeps. Seems the overall reliability goes to the Toyota, not sure about the power??, engine is about equal if comparing to the 4.0L Jeep, aftermarket mods are probably more to the Jeep side but I understand the market is good for the Toyota as well. I hear the build quality goes to the 4runner as well. I am wondering if I am missing anything else?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I've had both.

Toyota. Oh, what a feeling! To me it offered superior build quality, great peace of mind should you need to suddenly drive 5k miles and all the mods you could hope for are readily available.

My xj was solid and well kept, but I could never come to fully trust it. Soild front axel makes it a great offroader, but the unibody requires some attention. I love the size and functionality of the jeep. Too bad it wasn't built to last.

My .02

Applejack

Explorer
I too had "the Jeep thing", several of them in fact. One of them was a '93 XJ 2dr Sport with the 5 speed. In it's 200k+ miles I never had any real mechanical issues with it, but there were a lot of little things like, doors not closing very well, it felt very cheap, crappy motor mounts and my inner axle seals were always going out. It wasn't stock though and i did wheel the piss out of it soooo.....

As far as power, the cherokee's I6 felt more powerful mated to a 5sp than the 3.4 liter V6 of the 3rd gen 4runner with the auto.
I've now had 2 3rd gen 4runners and never dream of having another Cherokee.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I too had the Jeep thing bug. I had 2 Wranglers and an XJ. My 97 4Runner is superior in every way to my former XJ. It's tighter, more quiet, more reliable, more comfortable and I think just as easy to work on. These days, a solid front axle means nothing to me. My 4Runner goes anywhere I want it to go. There are a ton a aftermarket parts available for the 3rd gen 4Runner as well.

ExpoMike

It's funny, I am directly opposite than others. The two Toyotas I had in my life ('90 truck and '91 Tercel) I had nothing but problems with. I have done a ton of mods on my '00 Cherokee and it's been very reliable. It does have a few quirks that most Cherokees do but knock on wood, nothing that has required a tow truck... which cannot be said about the two Toyotas.

In reality, either one are great vehicles but being that you are buying used, it really comes down to condition and how well it was taken care of. I have seen ones with great reliability and ones that are total POS's. Find the best condition one in your price range and go on down the road.

98dango

Expedition Leader
i have owned a few of both. my dad still runs jeeps has a comanche and a cherokee. his problem and mine are the same lack of a frame. you got to brace them and plate them to get one to last. My 4runners have had lots of abuse and still going strong when i sold all 3 of them. i like the xj as a platfor but never consider them a long term investment.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
My xj was solid and well kept, but I could never come to fully trust it. Soild front axel makes it a great offroader, but the unibody requires some attention. I love the size and functionality of the jeep. Too bad it wasn't built to last.

I agree. My '97 was tended constantly so that I could use it as a daily driver. I rock crawled like mad on and off or 13 years, until I started to notice the unibody flexing and now it is gone. I wanted a vehicle that could take me on longer road trips to places more than a few hours from home. The XJ was not the vehilce for this. Like Shattenjager said it was not built to last. I am very happy with my Toyota and the quality is very evident.

raven1911

Observer
i have owned a few of both. my dad still runs jeeps has a comanche and a cherokee. his problem and mine are the same lack of a frame. you got to brace them and plate them to get one to last. My 4runners have had lots of abuse and still going strong when i sold all 3 of them. i like the xj as a platfor but never consider them a long term investment.

Hence, what scares me about the unibody. :Wow1:

Thanks for the posts so far!!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I think that the newer Runners are intended to be more a competition to the Grand Cherokee. So I would really consider that as well.

the XJ is a really nice jeep, does the work, and kind of a gets the job done vehicle. These things tended to last as long as you wanted, in so long as you take care of them.

The Toy is a bit more looking toward the soccer mom thing than is the XJ, ergo some more prissy things no there. Still can get the job done, and it has the reputation for reliability. You can beat on one and they will last longer than an xj treated the same way, but not a lot longer. If you can afford one of the newer ones you can get a lot more priss too, like the heated seats and such.

The 1997/98 ZJ is a great jeep, and can easily do the job well, plus has a lot of comfort, it is like cheating off road, and the availability of mods are huge! One consideration is the possibility of a rear aluminum axle pumpkin. This can not have a locker, so if you are looking for a locker be sure to get one with a real rear axle.

The WJ (99-04) was an excellent vehicle. I have one of these still, it drives like a dream on the roads, repairs are easy to do on a budget, but rarely needed. It is a strong vehicle and does the job well, while still having all the prissy stuff you could want, heated seats, leather, etc. The overland with the built in rock rails are great, they also have a 1" lift over stock from the factory (unless you get the factory tow package, then stock height!)

All of those vehicles can be had in your price range.

If you go with the ZJ the I6 gets better mileage than the V8. If you go with the WJ then it turns around, the V8 was all new in 99 and actually gets better (by a fair amount) mileage than the I6 (same I6 as the CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ)

All of the jeeps listed have Unibody, and all of them have a solid front axle. All of them have readily available support online and great prices for parts and upgrades.

Toyota is a great truck, and will treat you well, but like the XJ it really is a truck not an SUV, and the ride is not going to be as nice as the ZJ/WJ. The prices for repair are a touch higher, but the parts availability for mods are plentiful as well, and the support online is also plentiful. It seems like the prices are slightly higher for mods, but really not by a lot. (depending on what you are looking for of course.) Some of the Toy aftermarket bumpers are psychotic price wise.

Having owned most of them, I can tell you that the XJ and the TOY ride like a truck, and it gets old fast in my opinion. The toy will last a long time, more if you are good to it. The fuel economy is not bad in the Toy either. There really is NOTHING to worry about with the Unibody, it is a great design and will not fail you, lots of jeep owners out there wheeling the piss out of those things, and they are still strong and loved. If the Unibody was a concern it would be everywhere on the net and even the Die Hard jeepers would hate it. The only people who worry about it are those who totally trash their rigs, and they would trash a toy as well, and those who are overly worried because it was, once upon a time, a new concept and people were worried. No need to follow those fears, they are great trucks. Heck you even see XJ rock crawlers out there (well you did before the moon buggy came online so strong.) I can also tell you that my 4x4 toy was a total POS. I was constantly working on the thing, it was always breaking down on me. It kept going for me, but not without a lot of effort. I had a toy celica that was fairly nice, and lasted nicely with few mechanicals, water pump and things like that. The 4x4, however, wow what a pain that was. Plus the thing hung so far over the rear axle that I was constantly finding that I could not go the places the jeeps were going, literally could not even get onto the trails! (that is why you see so many bobbed toy trucks and even some bobbed runners out there). They have a rep for reliability, so I trust that others had good luck, but I certainly did not. (perhaps I just got a lemon, there are those in every vehicle type)

I would HIGHLY recommend the 99-2002 WJ with the V8, take it for a ride, see what you think. I would also test drive a few toys, they are nice trucks and certainly not to be overlooked.

Then pick the one that actually suits you, do not go along some invisible party line that people think if you own one you have to hate the other. Be smart about your choice, they are all great vehicles. (Though I would seriously skip the XJ when compared to the ZJ and WJ, for the same price, why bother with the XJ, it is very cramped inside in comparison to the ZJ and WJ.)

Well, that was long, but my thoughts. Take them as you will.

Regards,

Last edited:

reece146

Automotive Artist
FWIW, the XJ has more driver leg room than the ZJ or WJ. I've looked at WJs and ZJs over the years but the XJ is what I've stuck with due to being able to put my foot flat on the firewall without a bend in my knee. I can't do that with a ZJ or WJ.

tacollie

Glamper
My XJ experiences are limited to road use and I am deffinitly a 3rd gen 4runnner guy. I dated a girl with a stock 98 XJ with an auto. I drove it regularly for almost 2 years. I like the I6 and it had good dimensions. I enjoyed driving it but it rattled a lot and never got better than 17mpgs in any situation. We always ended up taking my 02 Tacoma on trips. Even with all our gear in the back and bikes on the roof rack I could average 20mpg. Both were reliable and had a low cost to own. Both had similar milage and were near stock.

I used to wheel with 2 guys that had stock XJs(91 and 94 I think). One went to a 94 FZJ80 with open diffs on 33s and 2" lift. The other went to a stock 91 Toyota pickup. Both like their Toys more than their Jeeps. They have never meet but they both miss the same thing about their XJs: the seats and the I6. I thought that was odd since one went to the top of the Toyotas and the other went to the bottom.

All that aside $4500 will go a lot farther towards a XJ than a 3rd gen. 4runner. Drive both and get the one you like. If one doesn't stand get the toy because I am bias:sombrero:.

raven1911

Observer
I think that the newer Runners are intended to be more a competition to the Grand Cherokee. So I would really consider that as well.

the XJ is a really nice jeep, does the work, and kind of a gets the job done vehicle. These things tended to last as long as you wanted, in so long as you take care of them.

The Toy is a bit more looking toward the soccer mom thing than is the XJ, ergo some more prissy things no there. Still can get the job done, and it has the reputation for reliability. You can beat on one and they will last longer than an xj treated the same way, but not a lot longer. If you can afford one of the newer ones you can get a lot more priss too, like the heated seats and such.

The 1997/98 ZJ is a great jeep, and can easily do the job well, plus has a lot of comfort, it is like cheating off road, and the availability of mods are huge! One consideration is the possibility of a rear aluminum axle pumpkin. This can not have a locker, so if you are looking for a locker be sure to get one with a real rear axle.

The WJ (99-04) was an excellent vehicle. I have one of these still, it drives like a dream on the roads, repairs are easy to do on a budget, but rarely needed. It is a strong vehicle and does the job well, while still having all the prissy stuff you could want, heated seats, leather, etc. The overland with the built in rock rails are great, they also have a 1" lift over stock from the factory (unless you get the factory tow package, then stock height!)

All of those vehicles can be had in your price range.

If you go with the ZJ the I6 gets better mileage than the V8. If you go with the WJ then it turns around, the V8 was all new in 99 and actually gets better (by a fair amount) mileage than the I6 (same I6 as the CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ)

All of the jeeps listed have Unibody, and all of them have a solid front axle. All of them have readily available support online and great prices for parts and upgrades.

Toyota is a great truck, and will treat you well, but like the XJ it really is a truck not an SUV, and the ride is not going to be as nice as the ZJ/WJ. The prices for repair are a touch higher, but the parts availability for mods are plentiful as well, and the support online is also plentiful. It seems like the prices are slightly higher for mods, but really not by a lot. (depending on what you are looking for of course.) Some of the Toy aftermarket bumpers are psychotic price wise.

Having owned most of them, I can tell you that the XJ and the TOY ride like a truck, and it gets old fast in my opinion. The toy will last a long time, more if you are good to it. The fuel economy is not bad in the Toy either. There really is NOTHING to worry about with the Unibody, it is a great design and will not fail you, lots of jeep owners out there wheeling the piss out of those things, and they are still strong and loved. If the Unibody was a concern it would be everywhere on the net and even the Die Hard jeepers would hate it. The only people who worry about it are those who totally trash their rigs, and they would trash a toy as well, and those who are overly worried because it was, once upon a time, a new concept and people were worried. No need to follow those fears, they are great trucks. Heck you even see XJ rock crawlers out there (well you did before the moon buggy came online so strong.) I can also tell you that my 4x4 toy was a total POS. I was constantly working on the thing, it was always breaking down on me. It kept going for me, but not without a lot of effort. I had a toy celica that was fairly nice, and lasted nicely with few mechanicals, water pump and things like that. The 4x4, however, wow what a pain that was. Plus the thing hung so far over the rear axle that I was constantly finding that I could not go the places the jeeps were going, literally could not even get onto the trails! (that is why you see so many bobbed toy trucks and even some bobbed runners out there). They have a rep for reliability, so I trust that others had good luck, but I certainly did not. (perhaps I just got a lemon, there are those in every vehicle type)

I would HIGHLY recommend the 99-2002 WJ with the V8, take it for a ride, see what you think. I would also test drive a few toys, they are nice trucks and certainly not to be overlooked.

Then pick the one that actually suits you, do not go along some invisible party line that people think if you own one you have to hate the other. Be smart about your choice, they are all great vehicles. (Though I would seriously skip the XJ when compared to the ZJ and WJ, for the same price, why bother with the XJ, it is very cramped inside in comparison to the ZJ and WJ.)

Well, that was long, but my thoughts. Take them as you will.

Regards,

Awesome post and puts my mind at ease about my doubts about the Jeep. I was set on the XJ from researching (I am a researching animal before buying) and actually reached out and contacted some from craigslist but then came across the devil on my shoulder yelling in my ear about how the Jeep might be unreliable and cost me more money. I am getting a beater 4x4 because funds are tight, I need a 4x4 for our recreation and newer location in northern AZ to deal with the snow (and of course the recreation on the weekends;-)), and I don't want to buy something for $4k and have to spend every weekend working on the thing to keep it running. This vehicle will be a daily driver as well and I take care of my vehicles. The ZJ and WJ are grand cherokees, correct? I will have to look into them but it seems the forums and such are more geared to the XJ for some reason?? I haven't considered the grand cherokees. How do the XJ differ from them?

raven1911

Observer
So is rear coil suspension a negative or positive for off roading? Everyone seems to like solid axles. Wouldn't that be more to break in the backcountry?

98dango

Expedition Leader
for expedition i feal K.I.S.S. is the best plan. Less to break the better. yes the rear suspension has more working parts more bushings. But then if you perform your pre trip checks you can stay on top so if you run quality parts no problems.

cost a xj will be less than a zj wj however a 4runner will likely cost more.

in my honest opinion i would look at a 84-95 4runner

84-85 22re would be the holy grail of parts dependiablity may need work but can be found in a price that its doable.

91-99 xj with a 4.o and automatic would come next

fallowed by 86-95 4runner either motor

the newer runners have rear coials and genraly cost more to work with. they are strong reliable but your budget may net you one with deamons and no money to tame them.

i have never had more than 3500 in any of my XJ's or 4runners and i have owned 4 xjs88-94 and 4 4runners 84-88 the xj can and will hold up but frame rail support is needed. a ifs 4runnere (86-) will also but the cv shfts will be your weak link.

You dont plan to rock crawl or abuse the rig in that manor. There both a good choice. with the budget you mentioned to work with you may get more bang for you buck with the xj . As long as you factor in some sliders and frame plates you will be in good. As i have said the 4runner is out of the box i feal a stronger rig but with just alittle time or money the xj will be just as good in the long run. Also parts can be taken from 84- xj and there every where.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online