4runner vs. cherokee XJ?

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I must respond again. My brother has a good friend who bought a '93 Grand Cherokee new in '93. It has only left him walking one time. He had the fuel pump go out at near 300,000 miles. Now the Jeep has half a million, and nothing more has gone wrong. I must add that it has the 4.0 and not the V8. Cherokees can be very reliable, but I don't feel that they are as solid as the Toyota. I loved my Cherokee and dream of having one again sometime. I would never put on such a tall lift as I did. Probably stick with a good quality 3". Then run 30 X 9.5 BFGs. It would be a great little desert runner. I'd make sure I started the build with a good quality chasis stiffiner so that the rig lasted for ever. Here are a couple shots of my XJ doing what it did best.

Attachments

• Cliffhanger-01.jpg
    Cliffhanger-01.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Easter Safari 2008 028.jpg
    Easter Safari 2008 028.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 41

motomaniac

Observer
I have 97 Grand Cherokee ZJ 4.0 with 250,000 miles on it and a 4 inch lift. It rides great on and off road. It has all the creature comforts I could want and I wouldn't hesitate to get in it and drive any distance. It has never left me stranded. Finding one with the right drivetrain will help with reliability, all the V8 have the all-wheel drive transfer case (249) 93-96 are open in high and low range like an open differential it splits power between the front and rear axle. 96-98 are locked in low range but remain open in high. The 249 is also prone to failure due to the viscous coupler going bad. This is a pricey repair and causes bad on road manners. The 96-98 V8 also has the aluminum housing Dana 44 which you can get a locker for (Spartan I believe) and when trussed accordingly is an okay axle. The I6 had the option of the 249 all-wheel drive case, the 231 2wd 4hi and 4lo and the 242 which is the best of both worlds. It has 2wd 4hi part time 4hi full time and 4lo. In full time it works as an open all-wheel drive case good for everyday use, but has a carrier and spider gears so there is no viscous coupler to go bad. 4hi part time and 4 lo are locked for off road use. All of the 249 equipped ZJ's have CV axel shafts and front drive lines; all others are u joint shafts. All ZJ's have a low pinion Dana 30 front axles. The I6 all have Dana 35 rear axles. V8's 93-96 also have the Dana 35 rear axle. I can't go into detail about WJ's or the Toyota because I don't know much about them, but this should be of some help if you decide a ZJ is worth a look. I would look at 96-98 4.0 with the 242 case, but you can't go wrong with the 231 case either. Mine personally is a 97 4.0 with a 242 it's a great setup.
IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
My XJ had a great set up. 4.0l, Dana 30 front, AX15 5 speed, NP231 T-case, and Chrysler 8.25 rear end. I had the T-case built into a heavy duty with the guts from a dodge truck. Also regeared the axles to 4.56. This combo worked very well on and off road. However, it did not stop my unibody from getting week, which is why I sold it.

briboki

This spring I was deciding between a late model cherokee (97 to 01) or a 3rd Gen 4runner. I'm a long time Toyota guy. I planned on buying a 4runner.

My wife and I test drove both. Several different models with different suspension / tire combos. They both have a large aftermarket following, and they are both generally very reliable. They both have their short comings. Cherokee's are known for CPS problems, driveline vibes even with low lifts, leaky oil filter adapters, etc. 3rd Gen 4runners can have the dreaded strawberry milkshake. The Cherokee is a little bit smaller. Decide which one fits YOUR needs better. You stated you're not into extreme off road stuff, so either one would be capable enough.

My wife found the seats in the Cherokee to be more comfortable. This means she is willing to go on more adventures in it. She didn't like the 4runner seats at all. Your tastes may vary.

In my local market I found a 1999 Cherokee for $4500 with 112k on it. For MY local market this was an average price, but the Jeep was in good shape and it was exactly what I wanted. I looked at probably 20 Cherokees, and I checked ad's daily over a few months. I looked at $2500 Jeeps and $6500 Jeeps. I found similar year range 4runners to cost several thousand dollars more, usually with much more mileage.

You can't go wrong with either one.

bftank

Explorer
ford explorer has a frame, can be picked up for cheap, anything that bolts to a ranger will bolt to it. stronger rear axle than the xj similar mpg.

although currently i am dealing with an electrical gremlin in mine. hope this isn't a pattern developing.

something to think about anyway.
IMG_3131.JPG

Jay17

I have a 88 4runner and I wheel with several XJ's. I also DDed a XJ for about 6 months. My Xj had some electrical gremlins that left me stranded twice. According to the dealer it was a common problem for several years with them. My Pro/Con list is pretty equal giving the Toyota the edge though. To be really wheeled you need to spend about the same amount of money on each but I think the Toy is a little bit more reliable. (Note as already stated the 3.0 is a exception I personally would not own one of them.) Once the headgasket is fixed it is reliable enough but they don't call them 3.slows for nothing they don't seem to have much more power than a 22RE yet get half the MPG.

Jay Johnson

raven1911

Observer
I have a 88 4runner and I wheel with several XJ's. I also DDed a XJ for about 6 months. My Xj had some electrical gremlins that left me stranded twice. According to the dealer it was a common problem for several years with them. My Pro/Con list is pretty equal giving the Toyota the edge though. To be really wheeled you need to spend about the same amount of money on each but I think the Toy is a little bit more reliable. (Note as already stated the 3.0 is a exception I personally would not own one of them.) Once the headgasket is fixed it is reliable enough but they don't call them 3.slows for nothing they don't seem to have much more power than a 22RE yet get half the MPG.

Jay Johnson

Good to know about the 3.0. I am looking at both currently, cherokee and the 4runner. Seems I can't go wrong with either. I am not sure whether to get a bone stock cherokee or one that has been raised already and has tires and such? If I knew what the hell to look for I would probably be ok. I know enough about cars to look for leaks and such. I can look at suspension and, in the case of the cherokee, the frame and see if there is any problems, rust, etc. Other than that I am not sure. Just looking for a clean ride given the money I want to spend.

I looked at a 1994 4runner and it was a mess. The owner didn't take care of it properly and it was leaking everywhere, power steering was going out, Exhaust was leaking badly, A/C didn't work, interior was stained and completely torn, no buttons left on the dash and he still wanted to start negotiating at high kelly blue book. WTH is wrong with people??

machinisttx

The 4.0L in the Jeeps is an excellent engine. It's not uncommon for them to go 200-300K miles with decent maintenance. The same goes for the AW4 auto tranny.

The following pertains to the Cherokees: IIRC, 1996 was the first year for OBDII. I don't remember when they changed from Renix to OBDI, but I'd guess around 1990. The 2000 and 2001 models will have a low pinion Dana 30, prior to that they had a high pinion D30. If you buy a 2000/2001 model, swapping the front axle for a high pinion from an earlier model is a bolt in job. Any of them with ABS will have the craptastic Dana 35 rear axle. Without ABS, it should have a Chrysler 8.25. Pre-96 models(and some/most '96 models) will have
less desirable 27 spline axle shafts. From late 96 on, they will have 29 spline axles which are slightly stronger. Locker selection for the Chryco 8.25 is sorta limited, but it's a decent axle. Swapping in a Ford 8.8" from a '95-'01 gets you disc brakes and possibly the gears you want. The swap isn't that difficult, but does require welding on new spring pads and shock mounts. You'll also have to change the e-brake cables. It's been done enough that you can buy everything you need without a problem. There are multiple threads on naxja about it, and lots of pages elsewhere on the internet on it.

The part time NP231 transfercase is well supported by the aftermarket. 4 to 1 low range kits, 2wd low kits, real short shaft slip yoke eliminators, wide heavy duty chains, doublers, etc. are all available. The NP242 offers both full and part time 4x4 operation, but there really isn't any aftermarket upgrade support for it other than "hack and tap" slip yoke eliminator kits. You DO NOT want the full time NP249 transfercase, as someone else mentioned. The viscous coupler in that case is known for failures.

I don't know much about the ZJ's, but the 4.7L v8 equipped version my wife's stepmother had got better fuel mileage than the 4.0 equipped version she has now.

If you're going to buy a cherokee, it'd be a good idea to read up on them somewhere like naxja. There were a lot of little things that changed here/there and I'm sure you want to start with the best base to build on.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The 4.0L in the Jeeps is an excellent engine. It's not uncommon for them to go 200-300K miles with decent maintenance. The same goes for the AW4 auto tranny.

The following pertains to the Cherokees: IIRC, 1996 was the first year for OBDII. I don't remember when they changed from Renix to OBDI, but I'd guess around 1990. The 2000 and 2001 models will have a low pinion Dana 30, prior to that they had a high pinion D30. If you buy a 2000/2001 model, swapping the front axle for a high pinion from an earlier model is a bolt in job. Any of them with ABS will have the craptastic Dana 35 rear axle. Without ABS, it should have a Chrysler 8.25. Pre-96 models(and some/most '96 models) will have
less desirable 27 spline axle shafts. From late 96 on, they will have 29 spline axles which are slightly stronger. Locker selection for the Chryco 8.25 is sorta limited, but it's a decent axle. Swapping in a Ford 8.8" from a '95-'01 gets you disc brakes and possibly the gears you want. The swap isn't that difficult, but does require welding on new spring pads and shock mounts. You'll also have to change the e-brake cables. It's been done enough that you can buy everything you need without a problem. There are multiple threads on naxja about it, and lots of pages elsewhere on the internet on it.

The part time NP231 transfercase is well supported by the aftermarket. 4 to 1 low range kits, 2wd low kits, real short shaft slip yoke eliminators, wide heavy duty chains, doublers, etc. are all available. The NP242 offers both full and part time 4x4 operation, but there really isn't any aftermarket upgrade support for it other than "hack and tap" slip yoke eliminator kits. You DO NOT want the full time NP249 transfercase, as someone else mentioned. The viscous coupler in that case is known for failures.

I don't know much about the ZJ's, but the 4.7L v8 equipped version my wife's stepmother had got better fuel mileage than the 4.0 equipped version she has now.

If you're going to buy a cherokee, it'd be a good idea to read up on them somewhere like naxja. There were a lot of little things that changed here/there and I'm sure you want to start with the best base to build on.

What he said...

My 2000 XJ now has 190,000 KM on it and when I had the rear main seal replaced (2 piece, cheap to fix) the main bearing caps showed nearly no wear. It is reliable, has treated me excellent and has only consumed consumable parts (plugs/brakes/tires/etc) with the exception of a detonating rad.

The Toy is a great vehicle, early ones tend to rust like the bejesus however, but they are reliable. that 4 cylinder in them might be less than a screamer, but it lasts forever. The 3.0L is slow IMHO... and uses too much gas for what it is. Having said that the 4.0L Jeep motor is a wee bit thirsty.

I have owned both the 4 Runner and now the Cherokee...honestly I liked the 4 Runner, but I love the Cherokee!

LemonBeast69

I've stumbled upon this thread a few times, and decided to register so I could comment.

For $5000 you can get a very clean rust free XJ and lift it 3 or so inches and get 32-35in tires. It will be a very capabile DD and offroad rig.

I do not feel the same about the 4runners. Any dependable 4runner is going to be older, and less likely to be in good shape.

Not saying that XJ's don't have problems, because they do. And the years 91-99 XJ's which you should get if you are looking for one, are 17 Years old at the least. Its gonna need leaf springs (If you're lifting it who cares ha) Its probably gonna need an exhaust maniflold/gasket. It's probably gonna need a new 02 sensor. Depending on where you live you might be dealing with some rust.

Parts are insanely cheap and the XJ is extremely easy to work on.

For the $4500-5000 price including the jeep and lift and tires you are gonna be riding a sweet ride with a lil bit of elbow grease.

I wouldn't do, or be able to say the same for the 4 runners.There aren't as many 4Runners than XJ's to choose from, there is less aftermarket, less parts available and less parts that are interchangeable within its spectrum.

Either or, you are gonna be doing some elbow grease, but the XJ In my eyes, and its huge following ( Everything you could ever want or ever need to do to a cherokee is available online in great detail) is one of the best options for a great DD with 4x4 ever.

But do your research! There are differences between the years in XJ's and different set ups. Each might appeal to you or you might dislike, so read up.

wardrover

From personal experience with both ('98 XJ w/ 230k miles, '95 4Runner w/ 220k miles and a replacement engine): if you're on a tight budget, go with the XJ. Cheap, plentiful parts and easy to work on. Jeep never made a better engine than the 4.0 L straight six. Stay away from the 2nd gen V6 4Runner. Underperforming engine with a tendency to blow head gaskets. It is probably the best looking model of the 4Runner but that's all it has going for it. Mods are significantly more expensive and complicated, thanks to the independent front suspension and the Toyota mark-up. And you'll still never get good performance without an engine upgrade. Long-term, our 4Runner needed close to $15k of work, while the XJ needed less than $6k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater