4runner vs. cherokee XJ?

bat

Explorer
If you are not going to wheel it hard the unibody on the XJ is just fine, the 4 door unibody is stronger. I have had an 2 XJ the i6 is a great motor not great gas mileage loaded but never let me down. The XJ does have that tin can sound compared to a 4 runner which does have a solid feel. I am not sure but the 4 runner did have the head gasket problem on some models so maybe check into that before you buy. As to the XJ not lasting if I wheel the vehicle and a daily driver and get 250k+ miles on it I am okay with that purchase.

98dango

Expedition Leader
head gaskets where bad on early 3.o v6 in a toyota

and the 4 door xj is actuly weaker than the 2 door persnoal experance with both there exactly the same just a longer main door and body to make the the same. my dad has 280k on his dd xj with no issues but its had 1/8 3/3 angle on it since day 1

bat

Explorer
The four door is not the same it has the door pillars which in my opinion make it a stronger point.

98dango

Expedition Leader
all i can say is when i rolled my 4door it was wasted and i drove my 2 door for another year

Applejack

Explorer
If you are dead set on a Jeep now, I would steer you towards the XJ rather than the WJ (I don't have any experience with the ZJ) My WJ was nothing but problems and I traded it off for my 1st 4runner.

IIRC the Grand Cherokees with the v8 came with a variant of the D44 rear end with an aluminum center section. YIKES!!

raven1911

Observer
If you are dead set on a Jeep now, I would steer you towards the XJ rather than the WJ (I don't have any experience with the ZJ) My WJ was nothing but problems and I traded it off for my 1st 4runner.

IIRC the Grand Cherokees with the v8 came with a variant of the D44 rear end with an aluminum center section. YIKES!!

Ya, not dead set yet on the Jeep. I was a couple weeks ago, but then researched the 4Runner and hence, my dilemma now. They both seem like good vehicles but it appears the 4Runner is a bit better considering the responses I am getting. It looks like dollar for dollar, I will have to buy an older 4Runner compared to the XJ.

98dango

Expedition Leader
the 88-93 3.0 had bad head gaskets most been taken care of by now. i prefer the 4cyl myself but my friend has a 93 with a 3.0 sience high school with no problems put 2 clutches in it sas and bumpers

scrubber3

Not really here
Which one would you trust more in a situation where you were out in a remote location alone with miles of trail to run and dependability plays a major factor. What would you rather have? What would you HONESTLY trust more? What vehicle is known for dependability? :coffee:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
A couple thoughts for you on the XJ/ZJ/WJ...

As mentioned the Coils front on all three.

Leaf Springs on the Rear XJ (which means it has a greater tendency to ride like a truck)
Buget lift of 2 inches can be had for about 200-300.oo with shocks included

Coil Springs on rear ZJ &WJ (which means you can put disconnects front and rear and increase articulation off road(I would skip the rear though, personally))
Buget lift of 2 inches can be had for about 150-250.oo with shocks included
---All three jeeps wheel REALLY well with a 2" lift, shocks, and some front disconnects.

XJ bare bones inside, but you can opt for things like power windows and doors.

WJ/ZJ came stock with every option you can get on the XJ plus more, and many of them have more options on top of that like heated seats and sunroof etc. (the options choice was a big one for me)

The ZJ/WJ are very comfortable rides all told, on or off road, they are comfortable. They are also heavier than the XJ, not by a lot, but they are heavier.

The Toys, well they are higher price, so yes you will have to get an older and likely less reliable toy for the same price that you can get all three jeeps with a touch money left over to lift with. The toy will have the computers sooner than the XJ, but the ZJ/WJ all had the computers in them.

All four have great availability of parts. The XJ engine, if it is the old carb engine, can be had in great condition for a complete engine, in the price range of up to $150-200 for a good one. (there are so many of them, plus it is the same engine in the CJ-7 and the YJ, so they are easy to come by) The newer XJ ZJ WJ TJ all have the same I6, but different V8, still parts are fairly plentiful.

So my take, I personally would rather get a much newer WJ than anything else, same price (close anyhow) means that you are going to buy reliability over all the rest. Third/fourth/fifth owners means you have no idea how well they took care of the trucks. Even good one owner trucks, well taken care of, the older things get, everything has to be replaced eventually. FLIP SIDE older trucks are simpler to fix when they do break down.

OH and the Aluminum diff was ONLY in the V8 ZJ, jeep dumped the idea after that because it was not well received by the customers, especially the ones who wanted a locker in there. BUT mind you that when they came out with the ZJ people thought you had to be NUTS to wheel one much less lift one. We used to always get the strangest comments about wheeling a ZJ with a 5" lift...Now it is common place.

For support on forums check out the jeepforum.com there is an entire section just devoted to the ZJ and WJ, then a different section for the newer IFS Grand Cherokees. Also there is a section for the XJ.

For Toyota check out ih8mud, nice guys, lots of good info there, and between the two forums whatever goes wrong on your truck, they can help you get it fixed complete with detailed photos.

Having had the three jeeps, and the pickup Toyota, I felt that the XJ was the most cramped of them all, that HUGE drive shaft line down the center of the jeep just made it feel tight. I was very surprised to read that someone in this thread said the XJ has more leg room.

Good luck!

I think for MY money, I would get the 2002 WJ, if someone was going to give it to me, I would take the same year Toyota under very serious consideration, and maybe get it, but I would have to drive it a bit first.

98dango

Expedition Leader
i would like to mention that a I6 cherokee never had a carb. The pre 87 v6 cherokees had a carb and a pos gm 2.8 vaccume machine.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Are you 100% on that 98dango?

I was fairly certain that the pre 90's had the same 4.2L I6 that the other similar age jeeps had.

I could be wrong, but I know I have seen the 4.2L tag on the back of the older Cherokees. (It could have been someone sticking it on there because they liked the tag though, admittedly.)

Edit: Ok, I just did a bit of research, and sure enough I was wrong. Sorry about that mis-information up there...So that means that is the old Buick V6 in there. Not a ton of power (had one in a buick as well) but I had not heard it was a poor engine... Still you do not want an XJ that old anyhow, and I am not sure you could find one.

Regards,

98dango

Expedition Leader
Are you 100% on that 98dango?

I was fairly certain that the pre 90's had the same 4.2L I6 that the other similar age jeeps had.

I could be wrong, but I know I have seen the 4.2L tag on the back of the older Cherokees. (It could have been someone sticking it on there because they liked the tag though, admittedly.)

Edit: Ok, I just did a bit of research, and sure enough I was wrong. Sorry about that mis-information up there...So that means that is the old Buick V6 in there. Not a ton of power (had one in a buick as well) but I had not heard it was a poor engine... Still you do not want an XJ that old anyhow, and I am not sure you could find one.

Regards,

i wish it was a buick v6 its the anemic 2.8 used in s10 that i think only creats vaccume to run the rig look under the hood of say a 85 xj or small chevy 10000 vaccume lines with fun little boots that leak

and no xj ever had the 4.2 only the 4.0 but with a 4.2 crank you get a 4.5 stroker very nice.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Yes, the 2.8 was in two Buicks. We owned an 86 century when I was younger.

* 1980–1985 Buick Skylark
* 1986–1988 Buick Century

98dango

Expedition Leader
yep same motor just not a buick motor a gm the buick v6 commonly used in old jeeps is a 225 odd fire and a 231 nice motors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater