6string's '01 Taco Build

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice. Mine's almost to 130k and still drives awesome. Did you end up upgrading your suspension? Or did I miss it? I'm thinking of going Dakar or maybe Alcan.

Nice. Mine's almost to 130k and still drives awesome. Did you end up upgrading your suspension? Or did I miss it? I'm thinking of going Dakar or maybe Alcan.

I did! Actually did it back in August, and the results were AMAZING! Should've done the susp long ago... Oddly, I haven't posted anything about it, though, b/c I didn't take many pics of the install.

Maybe I'll crack a beer tonight, snap some pics under the rig, and do quick a write-up on it. 'Bout time, I reckon.

Stay tuned.

Hey, I think I saw that truck the other day! :wavey:

I work at City Hall, so if you buzz along Oak St. through downtown, you'll see it parked in the gravel by the R/R tracks M-F...

Small world, brother. We gotta get out and explore sometime! Check here to follow my goings-on. I get out a lot of weekends!

Gimme a shout anytime.

Borealis

A question about your build (which is very nice by the way):

Like you, I have a large size chocolate lab (I assume that yours is a chocolate). Do you carry your dog in the back with your bed installed? Do you think it has sufficient head room back there?

I am trying to come up with a plan for a sleeping platform that is 100 lbs dog friendly, while still being functional for my needs.

Any thoughts/experiences you have would be really appreciated.

RSB

Adventurer
ok Wes, enough w/the teasin'. I know you have a new snorkel now let's see it! :snorkel:

and now that I spoiled it, you may as well tell us what else you've been workin' on too (I just assume you do the same thing I do and post updates after making a few mods/additions ;)).

so... now, out with it! :)

ok Wes, enough w/the teasin'. I know you have a new snorkel now let's see it! :snorkel:

and now that I spoiled it, you may as well tell us what else you've been workin' on too (I just assume you do the same thing I do and post updates after making a few mods/additions ;)).

so... now, out with it! :)

I wish I had better news, but there's just not really much happening with the truck these days, Ryan. I spent most of the summer putzing around my old house, putting in a new kitch and sanding/painting/hanging trim.

I did, like you say, put on the snorkel. I figured after several long detours last year that, for the sake of trail momentum and shorter trips, maybe it was time. I'm glad I did. Feel much better now about those Ozark rivers and it looks pretty mean on the truck. (Although I'm not stoked about the added road noise. :( )

As far as the truck as a whole, I may not be doing much else to it. Yeah, I'd love that CBI bumper one day, but I also like to work on the house and travel (headed to Central Amer in Jan!). And in the end, my truck does everything I need it to do on 90% of trips, and as close to my "dream truck" as I thought I'd ever own. For that I am happy and feel quite blessed. I'd say that it's a project close to done, so I don't know how many more updates I'll be making. Now I just want to enjoy it.

Can't wait to see your ride, though! You never seem to get satisfied! Always a surprise to see your latest additions.

RSB

Adventurer
completely understand. The adventure, not the build, is the whole point! I think I'm almost there, which is why I've been working to turn my truck around so quickly. Congrats on the new snorkel but even more so, the feeling of being done! I'm soo looking forward to that. :p

skrillah

Adventurer
I wish I had better news, but there's just not really much happening with the truck these days, Ryan. I spent most of the summer putzing around my old house, putting in a new kitch and sanding/painting/hanging trim.

I did, like you say, put on the snorkel. I figured after several long detours last year that, for the sake of trail momentum and shorter trips, maybe it was time. I'm glad I did. Feel much better now about those Ozark rivers and it looks pretty mean on the truck. (Although I'm not stoked about the added road noise. :( )

As far as the truck as a whole, I may not be doing much else to it. Yeah, I'd love that CBI bumper one day, but I also like to work on the house and travel (headed to Central Amer in Jan!). And in the end, my truck does everything I need it to do on 90% of trips, and as close to my "dream truck" as I thought I'd ever own. For that I am happy and feel quite blessed. I'd say that it's a project close to done, so I don't know how many more updates I'll be making. Now I just want to enjoy it.

Can't wait to see your ride, though! You never seem to get satisfied! Always a surprise to see your latest additions.

How have you liked the suspension you are running? handled the weight ok and such? ride quality?

I'm thinking of heading in the same direction.

Thanks for the insight!

How have you liked the suspension you are running? handled the weight ok and such? ride quality?

I'm thinking of heading in the same direction.

Thanks for the insight!

The suspension has been wonderful. I started with the standard Dakars, but that wasn't enough lift for me, as when the truck was loaded, it sagged too much for my liking. So I added the All-Pro greaseable shackles at 3/4" lift. That solved the prob for a while, but then the springs began to settle in earnest after about a year. So I added the 05+ AAL spring from Dakar. Like brand new all over again w/ no sag. Yeah, it'll prolly eventually start sagging again before long, and yeah, I'll have to eventually replace the spring pack at that time, but eh... They way I see it, is those springs are a perishable item. Every few years, especially good trail years, they'll need replacing. Such is life.

As for the front? Not a peep of trouble out of those bad boys. They really pretty incredible, and at the price, they should be. Honestly, if I were to do it over again, I'd likely go with the OMEs and save a few hundred bucks. The Icons are phenom, but they're overkill for what I do. But they are amazing.

As far as ride quality? Night and day. The singlemost significant mod I've made to my truck. I now believe a good suspension should be the very first thing people do when they decide to start a build.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on your project.

wc

skrillah

Adventurer
Thanks for your thoughts Wes! I've been debating on either a suspension or rear topper/canopy (can-back) for the dogs. Can't decide whether my comfort is more important or the dog's!

I just recently sold a built 4runner with OME all the way around and liked the quality but am new to the leaf spring world.

When is the next adventure?! I enjoy reading your posts as they always offer a good read and are well detailed. I like the maps of the routes too as it gives all of us a sense of where you are so maybe we can copy you...:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy