70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

matt s

Explorer
The Plan has only one downside that I can see. It leaves those of us living vicariously hanging in the breeze. :)

Or worse, I'm not living so vicariously anymore......

I might have accidentally purchased a pair of 6.2 suburbans today. :elkgrin:

matt s

Explorer
Well let's just say that I have been slowly watching craigslist for 6.2 donors and came across an ad that didn't look too promising. A phone call ended up going from one 6.2 burb with shot tranny to two 6.2 burbs with the second one running and driving all for a very small investment. I didn't plan on buying them, but they were in much better shape than I thought I would find them and at the price I couldn't refuse!

So I am now committed to the swap. Stage one is simply going through the functional burb to check it all out and determine if it's the right engine for the swap. I will likely drive it for a bit too just to get a feel for it's dependability.

Then the madness will begin.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Dang Matt that would be too funny if you got yours on the road before me :)
I know I won't start on mine until we get back from Australia which means August. And I still have to source a block/longblock/complete motor as my block was way too cracked to use.

For know I will say that I am just loving the rig and the weather is killer for getting into the desert so I don't mind not being down for construction :)

Good luck on your build and there are some great people on the dieselpage.com forum and a few other forums including expo of course.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
:eek: Oh, please no! That is the perfect way to ruin a nice old Suburban. That would only bring on an entirely different bag of worms to deal with as the track widths are different, wheel bases are different and not a single body mount will line up. Way too much fabrication required to ever been durable. Not an ideal approach.

Very wise words of experience. I have been reading thru this whole thread. You have a very nice find on the old Sub.....and leaving it the way it is just seems a much better thing to do at this point. Just my humble opinion. Looking forward to more of the build and seeing how it turns out! Enjoy it and drive it! Fix it when it breaks.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Well let's just say that I have been slowly watching craigslist for 6.2 donors and came across an ad that didn't look too promising. A phone call ended up going from one 6.2 burb with shot tranny to two 6.2 burbs with the second one running and driving all for a very small investment. I didn't plan on buying them, but they were in much better shape than I thought I would find them and at the price I couldn't refuse!

So I am now committed to the swap. Stage one is simply going through the functional burb to check it all out and determine if it's the right engine for the swap. I will likely drive it for a bit too just to get a feel for it's dependability.

Then the madness will begin.

I cant wait to see pics of this madness Mat!:)

matt s

Explorer
Well you should get your wish soon. Tear down of the donor may begin as soon as this weekend. I expect to have it out, cleaned up with new seals and ready to go in by the end of the month. June doesn't look good for the install, so July will be push to drop it into the blazer.

matt s

Explorer
It begins. A little late as I got tied up with other projects. But today I began the tear down. I will start a new thread with photos as I go.

photo.jpg

matt s

Explorer
Ha ha, not sure why it came out that way. Was fine on the computer. I got the engine, tranny and T case out yesterday. Now to clean up the mess. My shop looks like a bomb went off.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Wow it has been awhile since I updated this.....oh yeah it is cuz we have been out playing in the burb instead of building it :)

I have done a few temp ghetto test things to figure out what I want. Nothing worth posting, just made a file box into a center console to figure out the hgt & size I want, made a temp laptop stand and tried a few versions of the rear setup.

But today I did a real life mod and I love it.

Went from the original hatch struts
suburban-168.jpg

Added 4 of the original ball studs for the gas pedal...keeping it Chevy after all.
suburban-169.jpg

And ended up with gas struts for the rear hatch....love it! All high tech and stuff....hey I am not a Luddite even if I do like the old iron :)
suburban-170.jpg

My goal is to drive & camp the crap out of the rig until Feb/March...working a ton of overtime to build up the cash stash.
Then shove the 6.2 turbo diesel/700r4 overdrive trans/NP20? transfer case/big axles with disc brakes & lockers/and maybe another inch of lift.....but I want to get it done quickly and be back on the trail.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice to finally see an update on the old Burb Lance. The gas strut is a great idea on the old burbs!

Don’t dig into that 6.2L swap too early in March. Crazy Bill and I are planning on a Mojave Rd/Death Valley trip in late March during his spring break. He will be talking to you and Nick about this when you see him at Thanksgiving.

I would love to join you guys on the February Old Iron run but I have anal glaucoma and don’t see my ******** getting the time off to go that far from home base before March. Although, if you change destinations to the AZ/UT border that might be a different story...BUT Bill can't got because he sold his "old Iron"! Dang quitter!

PS....got a decent picture of you and the Burb at OX12
7239301108_661be4e463_c.jpg

7239181238_678d8308b6_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3